Blizzard Pearle XLE AWD with XLE Plus Package + Rear Entertainment System
MSRP = $47,485

Discount = $3,262.70
Rebate = $1,500
Trade In (2006 Sienna with 229k miles) = $2,000
Price, before taxes and fees = $40,722.30
Taxes + Fees = $4,277.70
OTD Price = $45,000
May I ask what state you made the purchase?

I am in California and so far dealers have been unwilling to budge from MSRP for AWD versions.

·
Registered
8 Posts

I am in California and so far dealers have been unwilling to budge from MSRP for AWD versions.

We are in New York but bought the car in Maryland. Same thing here. Nothing on the lot. Dealers are quoting 4-6 month lead time from the factory. Dealers are not willing to budge a single cent off MSRP. Found this one on the lot in Maryland and they were willing to come down quite a bit. It is a 5 hour drive for us, but worth it to save $6k.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Go to a bordering state, buy and register in CA.

We are in New York but bought the car in Maryland. Same thing here. Nothing on the lot. Dealers are quoting 4-6 month lead time from the factory. Dealers are not willing to budge a single cent off MSRP. Found this one on the lot in Maryland and they were willing to come down quite a bit. It is a 5 hour drive for us, but worth it to save $6k.
Yes, I would definitely be willing to go out of state for $3k+ savings.

jsco17 or others, what was your process to negotiate an out of state deal? Did you do everything over email/phone and just arrive to sign the paperwork? How about financing?

·
Registered
Toyota Sienna 2021 AWD Platinum
394 Posts
Yes, I would definitely be willing to go out of state for $3k+ savings.

jsco17 or others, what was your process to negotiate an out of state deal? Did you do everything over email/phone and just arrive to sign the paperwork? How about financing?
In my experience, the process is relatively simple. Negotiate the pre-TTL price, including optional dealer fees and surcharges. Rest will be same across all dealers in all states (IIRC). In my case, I am in Virginia, but bought ours from a dealer in MD. I didn't negotiate the price per say. Their advertised price on their website was a lot less than what was being offered in my area already. The MD dealer than applied all Virginia TTL on my sale. The dealer is supposed to get the VA plates and mail it to me. Overall, the process and $ TTLs are same as if I bought in VA.

FWIW, the loan process is completely de-coupled from the dealer price negotiations. At minimum, get loan rates from at least 2 of your favorite banks or CUs before you walk in to the dealership. Let the dealer try to beat the rates you got on your own. Also note that if you choose to use TFS, certain Toyota Rebates and TFS APRs can not be combined. Look up rebates, APR and Fine-prints by the zip on Toyota's website.

Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
When ordering a car for future delivery (either special order or just holding a car that is coming in a few weeks), how did people document that they would get the National Toyota promotion active at the time of delivery?

I ask because I was talking to a dealer that had a car coming in June that fit what I want. When I asked to confirm if I would be eligible for whatever National Toyota promotions that is active at the time of receiving the car, the sales agent pretty much kept saying there would be no promotion pricing. That we would be signing a contract to buy now but since delivery was for after the current promo, I wouldn't qualify for that one either. I had to spend many rounds emphasizing that I was just confirming I would be eligible for whatever National Toyota promotion, not that I was saying there would be a promotion. She finally begrudgingly agree to that. I had spoken to other dealerships and they all readily agreed that I would get whatever promo that was active at the time of car delivery.

The whole thing sounded fishy. It made me think that this dealership wanted to "keep" the Toyota National Promotion (if there is one).

·
Registered
2021 Sienna Limited FWD
65 Posts
When ordering a car for future delivery (either special order or just holding a car that is coming in a few weeks), how did people document that they would get the National Toyota promotion active at the time of delivery?

I ask because I was talking to a dealer that had a car coming in June that fit what I want. When I asked to confirm if I would be eligible for whatever National Toyota promotions that is active at the time of receiving the car, the sales agent pretty much kept saying there would be no promotion pricing. That we would be signing a contract to buy now but since delivery was for after the current promo, I wouldn't qualify for that one either. I had to spend many rounds emphasizing that I was just confirming I would be eligible for whatever National Toyota promotion, not that I was saying there would be a promotion. She finally begrudgingly agree to that. I had spoken to other dealerships and they all readily agreed that I would get whatever promo that was active at the time of car delivery.

The whole thing sounded fishy. It made me think that this dealership wanted to "keep" the Toyota National Promotion (if there is one).
You are eligible through Toyota for either the rebate or the special APR being offered at the time of DELIVERY. So the $1500 now could be less or more

·
Registered
394 Posts

Looks like this is what they are trying to do as you've suspected. I have read more than a few posts here where buyers got the rebate active on the day of delivery, not when placing the order 2-4 months before.

·
Registered
11 Posts
In my experience, the process is relatively simple. Negotiate the pre-TTL price, including optional dealer fees and surcharges. Rest will be same across all dealers in all states (IIRC). In my case, I am in Virginia, but bought ours from a dealer in MD. I didn't negotiate the price per say. Their advertised price on their website was a lot less than what was being offered in my area already. The MD dealer than applied all Virginia TTL on my sale. The dealer is supposed to get the VA plates and mail it to me. Overall, the process and $ TTLs are same as if I bought in VA.

FWIW, the loan process is completely de-coupled from the dealer price negotiations. At minimum, get loan rates from at least 2 of your favorite banks or CUs before you walk in to the dealership. Let the dealer try to beat the rates you got on your own. Also note that if you choose to use TFS, certain Toyota Rebates and TFS APRs can not be combined. Look up rebates, APR and Fine-prints by the zip on Toyota's website.

Good luck!
Financing is one of the concerns. At least with my CU, I have to send them the purchase contract and then they send a check to the dealership. Not too much a problem with a local dealer, but could be an issue if I am going out of state.

Has anybody negotiated financing remotely too? My CU is offering 1.49% (better than the current Toyota promo), but from previous posts, it seems like the dealership be able to beat that in some cases.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Financing is one of the concerns. At least with my CU, I have to send them the purchase contract and then they send a check to the dealership. Not too much a problem with a local dealer, but could be an issue if I am going out of state.

Has anybody negotiated financing remotely too? My CU is offering 1.49% (better than the current Toyota promo), but from previous posts, it seems like the dealership be able to beat that in some cases.
Yeah, loan rates are negotiable just like everything else. FWIW, Transunion will count multiple car loan inquiries within 14 day period as one. I am sure others do the same. Once you have zeroed in on your unit and Price+TTL, let the banks and CUs compete for your loan. Check with your CU how to do out of state purchase. I am sure they do this everyday and have some way to make it easy for you. With dealers, expect them to sneak in a lot of surprises until you're are out of the door! They sell 10 cars a day, and people like me buy one car every 10 years. You can't have anything unless they want you to have it!

·
Registered
2021 Sienna Limited FWD
65 Posts

Why not just get financing from the dealer or big bank then refinance with your CU

·
Registered
117 Posts

I would worry about getting the car at the price you want first with increase in gas prices, hybrids are on high demands and chip shortage is affecting supply.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Blizzard Pearle XLE AWD with XLE Plus Package + Rear Entertainment System
MSRP = $47,485

Discount = $3,262.70
Rebate = $1,500
Trade In (2006 Sienna with 229k miles) = $2,000
Price, before taxes and fees = $40,722.30
Taxes + Fees = $4,277.70
OTD Price = $45,000
Wow nice discount. Guessing not in CA.

·
Registered
15 Posts

1.49% sounds pretty good. I got 1.99% from BoA. Haven't tried to push the dealer's finance department yet. Maybe I should try that.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Why not just get financing from the dealer or big bank then refinance with your CU
IINM... Refinancing adds additional costs / fees... similar to closing costs like when refinancing a home (appraisal fees, credit report fees, government reporting costs, titling and underwriting fees, etc.).

If those fees can be zeroed, then your point is valid. If not, then refinancing needlessly increases your up-front out of pocket amount and it's likely better to setup the original loan with the CU.

·
Registered
117 Posts
2021 Sienna LTD AWD MSRP - $1500 Toyota cash + $150 doc fee + TTL. Seattle area negotiation was “the price is MSRP” “the car arrives in 25 days” View attachment 49919
Double check with your dealer that $1500 is still applicable at time of delivery? Bc the event ends on May 3rd. I am in a similar situation to you, although mine does not come in until around early June and I was told it would not apply as it is a Toyota offer and not a dealership offer which follows the time of offer period.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna XSE AWD +pkg, 2013 Prius III Solar pkg, 2003 4Runner SR5 V8 Tow pkg
30 Posts
Not finalized yet, but just put a deposit down on a base XLE Blizzard Pearl. These Vans are hard to come by and most of my local dealers don't even have any in stock.

XLE Blizzard Pearl
Factory MSRP $41645
Dealer discount -1249 = $40396
+ TTL = $43997
It's currently en route to my dealer, if it gets here before current factory rebates expire, should be -$1000 = $42997 OTD

Not the craziest deal, but still paying more than a grand under MSRP, which is something considering there's low inventory and dealerships are unwilling to budge.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Not finalized yet, but just put a deposit down on a base XLE Blizzard Pearl. These Vans are hard to come by and most of my local dealers don't even have any in stock.

XLE Blizzard Pearl
Factory MSRP $41645
Dealer discount -1249 = $40396
+ TTL = $43997
It's currently en route to my dealer, if it gets here before current factory rebates expire, should be -$1000 = $42997 OTD

Not the craziest deal, but still paying more than a grand under MSRP, which is something considering there's low inventory and dealerships are unwilling to budge.
That's all wheel drive I hope? Paid less than that for xle awd with the plus package

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

521 - 540 of 608 Posts