Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Consumer reports desribed poor rear visibility. Any specific comments on how troublesome this is? Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This will be our first minivan (upsizing from compact cars), not sure how big of deal visibility issues are like these, especially in the setting of blind spot monitors and such...

·
Registered
Toyota Sienna 2021 AWD Platinum
99 Posts
I have not driven other minivans, so I don't know what to compare too.

To put it in perspective, all our cars have been relatively small so far : 2011 C300, 2001 Chevy Prism (RIP 12/2020), and 2006 Colorado. Also, I am 5'10. Compared to these, I do struggle a little to back out from tight parking spots. That's why I opted for Platinum with Birds-eye view. I find myself using it often. However, other than tight parking spots, driving around, I don't seem to notice any blind spot issues. I am avoiding using the Blind Spot Monitors since our other cars don't have them. However, I haven't tried going across 4 lanes in tight traffic yet. It will take good patience for sure. However, safe-driving habits are expected in a family hauler.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi All, we have a 2021 Platinum. Rear visibility using the regular rear view mirror, with passengers and with the entertainment system down is not good. But, using the rear view mirror in camera mode is fantastic. It is in color, you can adjust the view to adjust to your liking (up, down, right, left). It is wide angle. Basically you have a wide angle camera display in your rear view mirror. You just have to get used to having so much detail and the wide angle perspective. Hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna Limited AWD
134 Posts
I haven't noticed any difference in rear visibility between our CX-5 and the new Sienna. Seems fine. It's incredible with the rear camera though, don't even need side view mirrors when that thing is on.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I would summarize my opinion as :
0. Moving forward or changing lanes, Side mirrors and rear view mirror/camera work very well. I don't notice any rear visibility issues in these scenarios. Along with blind spot monitoring, I think pretty much all scenarios are covered.
1. Looking over the shoulder while backing out won't be too helpful. I don't know how is this different from other vans. Your 5:00 to 7:00 if sitting at the center of the clock looking at 12, is mostly blocked. The rear window is kind of small and high to spot something close behind tail lights.
2. I find myself mostly relying on backup camera, and also birds-eye view, on infotainment screen. I have yet to differentiate between various rear cameras, but the rear-view mirror camera can be helpful too. I have yet to back up only using the rear-view-mirror camera though.
3. This is where the rubber meets the road : IIRC, all trims have rear parking assist, and Rear Cross Traffic alert. Comparing backing out a small sedan and Sienna, additional risk of running in to something is very low unless you're not paying attention, or are in a super hurry. Key is to take your time and use all available cameras and features.

Caveats :
1. Snow and rain have tendencies get over all cameras and cloud or distort various views. I wish they put tiny air jets to clean them up. I don't know what other makers do so this might not be a Toyota only issue.
2. Infotainment screen is not as crisp, or the cameras are not very high resolutions. Sometimes, especially in snow, back-out views seems to get somewhat washed out as if the screen is too bright. I will have to play with screen brightness, but I doubt it is the only cause.

Folks with Reading-Only glasses : Keep them handy while working in/out of tight parking spots. You will need them to look at camera views!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Consumer reports desribed poor rear visibility. Any specific comments on how troublesome this is? Thanks.
to your :rear visibility"...from a previous ouwner 0f a 2119 odyssey that I "dumped"....the rear window is small on the 2021. As I school bus driver, we are trained to use our side mirrors...really no need to look out your rear mirror...you drive forward..don;t you?....and if you back up...they now have the rear camera....so...all good

·
Registered
169 Posts
Caveats :
1. Snow and rain have tendencies get over all cameras and cloud or distort various views. I wish they put tiny air jets to clean them up. I don't know what other makers do so this might not be a Toyota only issue.
I believe that if you have the digital rearview camera, it comes with a spray jet to wash it off from inside.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I believe that if you have the digital rearview camera, it comes with a spray jet to wash it off from inside.
Thanks!

I am annoyed by those who don't read the manual before they start whining ;) ;)

Here is what the manual says. Makes me think it comes standard with the camera.

4 Washer/wiper dual
operation
Pushing the lever operates the
wiper and washer.
The wiper will automatically operate
a couple of times after the washer
squirts.
The washer will automatically operate
and clean the camera for the
Digital Rear view Mirror*1 (P.193)
and rear camera*2.
*1:If equipped
*2:Refer to “NAVIGATION AND
MULTIMEDIA SYSTEM
OWNER’S MANUAL”.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna Limited AWD
134 Posts
The camera washers work really well too! It takes them a second to prime, so run the rear spray for a second while you're in reverse, or with the digital rearview on, and you'll see an immediate difference.

·
Registered
19 Posts
This will be our first minivan (upsizing from compact cars), not sure how big of deal visibility issues are like these, especially in the setting of blind spot monitors and such...
hi....no big deal really...had many mini vans over the yrs...just got this 2021 sienna...rear window is a tad smaller...

·
Registered
106 Posts
to your :rear visibility"...from a previous ouwner 0f a 2119 odyssey that I "dumped"....the rear window is small on the 2021. As I school bus driver, we are trained to use our side mirrors...really no need to look out your rear mirror...you drive forward..don;t you?....and if you back up...they now have the rear camera....so...all good
I agree. I have been backing up using the outside mirrors for years. I use the inside mirror and backup camera to check for things behind but I use the outside mirrors while backing. I remember the days before outside mirrors when you had to open the drivers door to see if you were on the road while backing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts