Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my wife and I have been looking forward to the 2021 Sienna for a while. We have a LX now and were really looking forward to the sliding doors, captain chairs, and features like the fridge and vacuum for road trips. The AWD and Hybrid combo really sold us. However, it feels like we've now been waiting FOREVER!

I called the local dealership a few months back and they knew nothing. I then tried corporate and they knew a little more, but nothing substantial. I then set a reminder to call corporate monthly - last week I finally got an answer on Release Dates - November 4th for the first arrivals to dealerships, but it was "subject to change".

Then just a few days ago we saw the news that the Vacuum on Limited and Fridge on Platinum were being delayed due to supplier issues. Honda has had vacuums since 2014. The fridge is a luxury that we can do without, but the disappointments just keep coming.

I posted my wife's LX for sale and now have a few buyers standing by. I called my 3 local dealerships this morning and they are totally clueless (umm...you're talking about the 2021 Sienna right...is that a new one?). Toyota really needs to get their act together. I'm a huge fan - I drive a 87 SR5 Turbo 4Runner, race a 4th gen v8 4Runner, have owned a 06 Land Cruiser and LX470, had a 80 Series (96) Triple Locked Land Cruiser, multiple Tacomas and 4Runners. So I'm as big of a Toyota fan as they come.

But Toyota really needs to get their act together. I know COVID is tough, but seriously - Honda and Chrysler aren't just standing idle. Anyway, back to constructive thinking.

Does anyone know anything more about the Vacuum/Fridge delays? I.e. will they be coming a couple months later and therefore we should wait. Or are they coming in 2022. I'd hate to buy a 2021 just to have that become the "No Vacuum/Fridge" year that that hurts resale value.

And does anyone have a dealership who can actually allow them to put down a deposit with a guaranteed delivery date on a Limited or Platinum 2021 Model?

I can't force myself to buy a Chrysler, but the Odyssey is looking more and more appealing right now...

·
Registered
14 Posts
The lack of clear communication from Toyota on the 2021 Sienna has been pretty frustrating. I have never purchased a Toyota. Are they always this non-transparent?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The lack of clear communication from Toyota on the 2021 Sienna has been pretty frustrating. I have never purchased a Toyota. Are they always this non-transparent?
I don't know. I'm a big Toyota fan, but the uncertainty around the 2021 Sienna has been the worst I've ever seen. So much that us die-hard Toyota fans are thinking of switching to Honda for our next purchase...

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
And does anyone have a dealership who can actually allow them to put down a deposit with a guaranteed delivery date on a Limited or Platinum 2021 Model?
Any motivated Toyota dealership should be able to special order the Sienna you want as soon as orders are accepted by the factory. There is no such thing as a guaranteed delivery date - not even when a vehicle is already en route from the factory. Not all trims are necessarily available when manufacturing begins. For example, the 2014 Highlander was first available in late 2013 but some variations were not available until late spring 2014. I watched as the order for my Sienna Limited was entered into the Toyota online ordering system in March 2014. The process was sped up modifying an existing order for an unsold Sienna LE but I had to ask if they could do that. I took delivery exactly four weeks later and it might have been sooner if a stop sale on the trailer hitch hadn't been issued after the order was entered. I had to approve the deletion of the trailer hitch before the factory would accept the order. I went through the Costco Auto Program. I offered and made a nominal deposit but don't know if I would have been asked for one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They ‘blew us away’: SHOP-VAC employees angry over plant closing, lost jobs

This was the supplier of the vacuum system. They shut down shortly before production of the Sienna began. Around 400 people lost their jobs due to the closure.
Crazy. But per the article:

"J.P. Morgan did not accept the offer, and rather chose to shut the company down, liquidate its assets, and sell the SHOP-VAC brand and intellectual property to one of its competitors "

So...why didn't Toyota do their job and work with the Competitor to get the vacuum systems rolling again. A fail on Toyota's part IMO.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update from my local dealer: "I talked with Southeast Toyota and the date for the first 2021 Siennas to hit the lot has been changed to the End of November of Beginning of December. They are going to do what they did with the Supra and make sure they release them to the dealerships at the same time with everyone getting one. I'm waiting to hear back about the fridge and vacuums. They are saying so far that those might not be available till later on...".

Fun stuff!

·
Registered
220 Posts
I don't know. I'm a big Toyota fan, but the uncertainty around the 2021 Sienna has been the worst I've ever seen. So much that us die-hard Toyota fans are thinking of switching to Honda for our next purchase...
I am pretty sure Toyota has been saying all along that availability will be in November (which is next month). What uncertainty are you thinking there is?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am pretty sure Toyota has been saying all along that availability will be in November (which is next month). What uncertainty are you thinking there is?
I had to push Corporate pretty hard to give me the Nov 4th date, which has now changed. Previously their canned response was:

"We apologize as information on the 2021 Sienna is currently unavailable. Toyota will release information such as styling, specifications, features and options closer to the launch date. We currently do not have a tentative release date. - Toyota Corporate on 10/7/20"

Then the Fridge/Vacuum uncertainty is a big issue. A lot of folks were looking forward to Limited/Platinum trims, including us. Now what is a Limited worth without the vacuum (Odyssey has had since 2014) and what is a Platinum without a Fridge (the Land Cruiser has had that option for years now).

And how does a 2021 without those fit resale value wise with a mid-year 2021 with them or a 2022 with them. It's just a lot of uncertainty to deal with that doesn't instill confidence for buyers looking to drop $35-45K on a new van. I certainly don't want to end up with a "Early 2021 Sienna without the Vacuum or Fridge" bad year van that I can't sell a few years from now. I can see it now - the forums all advise to avoid early 2021 Sienna's for XYZ reasons...it's coming.

·
Registered
220 Posts
You bring up some valid points. It sounds like you were lining up to purchase one of the first vans off the assembly line, but worried about it having some potential initial run issues that are only found after production units are in use. You may want to hold off and consider purchasing when the 2022 models come out. They will typically make small adjustments to fix issues as the production continues during any one model year. Waiting until the 2022 will give you some level of confidence that you are not in the potential "bad first year van" situation you mention above.

It sounds like you have the option to keep your current Sienna a little longer, or switch to an Odyssey.

If you just need a vacuum, you could go with something like this:

There is always the chance that you could get the highly desirable, rare 4th generation Sienna without the huge, protruding console with a vacuum and refrigerator (I don't know if they will sub in an XLE/XSE sized console that protrudes less into the second row or just go with the original Limited/Platinum console with extra storage space).

One thought, if you are considering a Platinum, my guess is you will be more in the $50k price range (you mention $35k-$45k above, but the future vacuum/fridge is only on the very top trim).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You bring up some valid points. It sounds like you were lining up to purchase one of the first vans off the assembly line, but worried about it having some potential initial run issues that are only found after production units are in use. You may want to hold off and consider purchasing when the 2022 models come out. They will typically make small adjustments to fix issues as the production continues during any one model year. Waiting until the 2022 will give you some level of confidence that you are not in the potential "bad first year van" situation you mention above.

It sounds like you have the option to keep your current Sienna a little longer, or switch to an Odyssey.

If you just need a vacuum, you could go with something like this:

There is always the chance that you could get the highly desirable, rare 4th generation Sienna without the huge, protruding console with a vacuum and refrigerator (I don't know if they will sub in an XLE/XSE sized console that protrudes less into the second row or just go with the original Limited/Platinum console with extra storage space).

One thought, if you are considering a Platinum, my guess is you will be more in the $50k price range (you mention $35k-$45k above, but the future vacuum/fridge is only on the very top trim).
Thanks. It's for my wife and she drives a Lexus LX now. We were planning on a Limited or Platinum 2021 shortly after they hit the dealer lots. I'm okay with a few initial production run issues (those can be fixed via the warranty), but I'm not fine paying for a Limited or Platinum without the features we were expecting. I hate the idea of having a new 2021 Sienna Limited or Platinum that doesn't have the same level of features as a 2022 model.

We have 3 kids and not having sliding doors or captain chairs in the LX is starting to take it's toll. We've been waiting on the new Sienna for over a year now - there is no way my wife will wait another 6-12 months for a 2022 model...I can promise that!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I remember similar problems with the first Prius. I think they didn’t want to make promises that they weren’t certain that they could keep. But that was long before COVID-19 caused supplier problems for what seems like everything. It’s new technology, folks, and if they can’t get a certain part that’s needed for another part to work, they can’t just use what’s on the shelf. As to other car companies having refrigerators before, it’s likely that current manufacturers may suddenly be nearly maxed out in their production, or a part that these secondary suppliers is in short supply due to COVID, fires in the West, major storms elsewhere or who knows what else. I’ve heard that regular refrigerators for kitchens are also suddenly hard to get.

None of this is worth having a heart attack over. Your blood pressure is way more important than any new car.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I hope the fridge is like the one on my Land Cruiser. That thing will cool down drinks to ice coldness. We had a Honda Odyssey that had a "fridge" and that thing barely did any cooling. In fact Honda A/C isn't that cold. Hopefully, Toyota will get it right with the new Sienna. Might be a deal breaker.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The lack of clear communication from Toyota on the 2021 Sienna has been pretty frustrating. Ihave never purchased a Toyota. Are they always this non-transparent?
So have I. It seems
if this car never gets touched.... No bad comments no online trollers saying it's bad.... No issues, no re calls. Ya know I never knew it would come to me joking an online chat based solely on some... Minivan. I mean it's just a stinking car after all. But it just never gets touched. No inappropriate things on its entertainment system ( can't specify cuz I don't know if kids could be on this... After all it's a MINIVAN, no karen banging on it. I've been waiting for this car for too to many years.... So long bright so long. It's been since March/ April when it came out new xl40 gen ya know. It's months from hen and still no pictures on Wikipedia, hardly any pictures online. Why why???? I haven't heard one bad comment about it yet NOT ONE. (I mean besides the grill it's either you love it or you hate it). Look I've been waiting forever for this car... Just I want it to be mainstream! Toyota takes to long to make new gens of big SUV's and Vans! I mean come on! Look at the Tundra for crying out loud. The concept for the current gen came out in 2004! It's almost 2024! And what they'll make a new gen in what 2022??? And don't even get me started about the Sequoia... I mean the suvs' dated... Dated! And what 2023's the golden year of change. Ugh and on lexus it's even worse LX, GX 2022, 2023!

And I know for a fact that if this pandemic never got, the Sienna would have hit in early 2020. And it would be old news. Look it's just a old minivan that's it. Nothing special.... But I love it. But ya know let's make this dumb car have the greatest luck for me Sebbie. Look I'm the biggest Sienna fan out here. I cried when it came out in 2020 April. I danced I partyed. I'm Siennasebbie! 2021!!!!

Toyota sienna day's on it's way let's all enjoy ourselves cuz it's the best car in the world obviously. I mean it's not like the new gen is the a dumb minivan cuz it's obviously not ( I'm being sarcastic btw)

Okay man take care.... I'm probably never gonna come back here again or check this email.... I don't care who responds or whatever cuz this ain't me trust me. Take care man enjoy sienna day everyone should take off October, 27 and just stare at the car on their screen go to dealerships and just test it out and see how good the All Hybrid 2021 Toyota Sienna Platinum All Wheel Drive with a brown interior and legrests with all the new bells and whistles really is cuz trust in thend of the day..... It's nothing special.t

·
Registered
1 Posts
The dealership in Bremerton, Washington has one. $38,000 is way too much!

·
Registered
200 Posts
I like the comments above by @Geezer1 about working with a dealer willing to do an order. When I was looking for our other Toyota model a few years ago it was difficult to find a dealer willing to do an order. They all wanted to push what they had on the lot and wanted a same day sale. I finally found a dealer willing to do an order, give me a list of options to pick from and only asked for a small deposit. They also gave a small discount from MSRP.

Vacuum -- Get rubber floor mats and a $24 Dust Buster to take on trips. I can't understand having a vacuum or cooler affecting resale value much. But we keep vehicles a long time.

Cooler -- We have a half size and a full size Koolertron coolers. We take the small one most of the time and put it between the 2nd row seats and leave it at home when it's not needed. Plugged into the 12V socket in back, it turns on and off with the engine power.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts