Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day to everyone.
Trying to get a short real-time user review from actual owners...

How do you like your 2021 overall?

Thank you

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Registered
I'm conflicted. I don't have a huge number of things that are bad about the van. But there's a lot that's underwhelming. My purchase was all about AWD and I never gave the Pacifica a real chance for lots of different reasons. If AWD (and factory roof rails) aren't part of your decision then you should shop the competition.

Registered
Best available AWD minivan. Like it pretty well overall, driving experience and gas mileage are big positives. Assuming Toyota reliability holds, you basically get what you expect.
But some of the simple cheapy things are just frustrating. Back up camera and center screen are so dated and pretty pathetic, and the 3rd row interior panels feel flimsier than they should. 3rd row seats that don't latch down. Our other car is a 2016 Tesla Model S, with essentially the first gen technology package. I get it's a different class, but the Sienna is nowhere near the 5 year old (really almost 9 year old) Tesla tech. I wanted much better "autopilot" and general infotainment tech.
If I only wanted FWD I would have leaned to the plug in Pacifica. The tax credits make it pretty economical, and daily driving on battery power is so nice, except for the oddity you can't force it to drive in electric...

Registered
06 Highlander Limited AWD/ Retired 09 Sienna XLE FWD / 12 Highlander SE FWD / 21 Sienna Limited AWD
I just bought a used 2016 highlander hybrid limited for my daughter and it is more comfortable than my new limited Sienna.馃樀鈥嶐煉

Registered
Drove 3000+ miles from SF, Vegas, Arizona, Utah and back for just under 10 gas stop. Rides smooth, able to cook rice on the go, and have kids able to binge-watch "The Good Place" at the RES.

Registered
2021 Toyota Sienna Platinum AWD
We've had our 2021 Sienna Platinum AWD since June and we've already racked up 3300 miles on it. Compared to our 2017 Nissan Pathfinder Platinum 4x4, the van is so much better at general utility and at shuttling the kids around.

For Grocery Shopping, the cargo area behind the 3rd row seats is simply cavernous. Road Trips? We drove from Western PA to Corolla, NC and back in August and it held 5 people (3 kids) and all of our gear without the need for a rooftop carrier. RES was well used for Youtube TV for the kids... casted from my Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra using Smart View. Seats are pretty comfortable for long road trips. The van drove extremely well for its size with minimal body roll, but don't take corners too fast at higher speeds. Wind Noise was non-existant, which was nice. Android Auto works well, infotainment feels ancient, however.

Audio System: The JBL sound system in our Platinum leaves much to be desired as the Bose system in our Nissan blows the doors off of the JBL in Sound Quality and Fidelity.

Gas Mileage: Around town... we get 32-34 mpg on average. On our road trip to the OBX, we achieved 37.69 MPG over the entirety of the trip without being conservative on driving style and while in normal drive mode.

Engine: Drones going up hills, but you expect that from any 4 cylinder. Toyota could have done a better job to deaden the sound. The hybrid traction battery makes the 4 cylinder have tolerable power.

If you buy one, decline Lifetime Oil Changes if offered (Initially $850, then $549 in the finance office) and Extended Warranty ($3,495 at my dealer). You can buy a Toyota extended warranty much cheaper outside of your dealership. Check the forums here first for expected pricing to save money. I neglected to do that, but I got stupid money for my trade, so I can't complain. In the end, I declined the Lifetime Oil Changes, but bought the extended warranty after they gave me another $500 for my trade.

Good Luck with your hunt and I suggest test driving one before buying to ensure it is exactly what you want.

Registered
I like everything except the power steering feel. Steering is a pretty damn important thing to mess up. It is the most unintuitive feeling car I've ever driven.

Registered
Indeed, I found myself remarking just how very well it drives and how intuitive and comfortable it feels when I first got it, and still feel that way today.

Registered
I was kind of shocked how well this big thing drives/steers coming from a much smaller econo box elantra. I thought i would have issues adapting, but it has been smooth driving experience and very easy transition. Now the lane assist is a different animal for sure.

Registered
I was kind of shocked how well this big thing drives/steers coming from a much smaller econo box elantra. I thought i would have issues adapting, but it has been smooth driving experience and very easy transition. Now the lane assist is a different animal for sure.
I, too, was coming from 3 years of driving an Elantra after 12 years before with a Sienna. No regrets with reuniting with a minivan. MPG is about the same as the Elantra, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Registered
I, too, was coming from 3 years of driving an Elantra after 12 years before with a Sienna. No regrets with reuniting with a minivan. MPG is about the same as the Elantra, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yeah, the mpgs are amazing for this big beast. Actually the Sienna for me is a tad bit better on the mpg front, since the computer was known to be about 3% off. And the conservative way I drove the ice Elantra fits in perfect for the Sienna hybrid.

Registered
Yeah, the mpgs are amazing for this big beast. Actually the Sienna for me is a tad bit better on the mpg front, since the computer was known to be about 3% off. And the conservative way I drove the ice Elantra fits in perfect for the Sienna hybrid.
This is great to hear, I drive a 2013 Elantra myself so the Sienna when it comes next month will be a wonderful upgrade for our family of 4.

Premium Member
After 5 months and almost 16K miles, I am finding the 2021 Sienna AWD better than I expected - easily 10 out of 10. For us, it replaced the F-150 and the CRV Hybrid we previously had.

This is the most capable automobile I have ever driven.

Registered
Very happy with ours after a few road trips and in-town use. It is big compared to our prior Mazda5, and that's what you'd expect (lots of room but it also takes up lots of room on the road, parking, etc.). The tech is overall very well done. Don't forget AWD, the spare, and roof rails.

Registered
After about two months, my only real issue is the severe lack of storage space other than the 3rd row seat well. Yeah, there's lots of little cubbies and the center console cavern, but most of the storage space is too small to put most stuff. I'm also not a big fan of the center console shelf. My previous van had that space between the front seats open and I much prefer that. On the plus side, you can't complain about the gas mileage (so far I'm averaging around 38-39 mpg). The ride is comfortable. I'm getting used to the seats, but wasn't sure about them at first. The long slide 2nd row seats have come in handy once or twice, but I would rather be able to remove them easily or have them stow down like the 3rd row. Overall I'm happy with it.

XSE w/plus package

Registered
While we have not had our Sienna that long (2 weeks), we have been pleseantly surprised with how much we like it. My wife drives it most of the time and was very concerned that the size would be an issue (she drove an Acura TSX for 10 years). Surprisingly, she has found the Sienna is really an easy vehicle to adjust to. She's a bit more aggresive driver than I am, but still manages to get 34-35 mpg on her commute. We also have an Outback, which we love, but find that the Sienna is just more convient and comfortable for daily use.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts