• Higher ground clearance

Odyssey
  • Mid-cycle = gremlins worked out
  • More horsepower
  • Better driving dynamics
  • V6
  • Super smooth 10 speed transmission
  • Honda sensing a little better
  • All 2021 trim levels are available in Canada (Sienna Platinum not available)
  • Second row seats are removable
  • Wireless charging

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
After owning four Honda vehicles and five Toyota vehicles, I'd add the following to your Sienna list: "Not a Honda".

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fuel economy.

I dunno how you consider not AWD in Canada, but you do you.
Well 10 years with the odyssey and minimal issues, have never been stuck. The weight of a larger vehicle + great snow tires obviates much of the AWD need, but you’re right it’s a major consideration.

I was really liking the XSE look with the 20” wheels, but the redline review video says you only get that with FWD XSE.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I’m in the middle of deciding between these two myself. Haven’t test driven either yet, planning on it early next month. On paper, I am leaning more toward the Sienna. I have previously owned a 2004 Prius, I loved Toyota’s hybrid system. I have also owned a ‘93 accord, loved the Honda feel.

I like how the odyssey looks better.
However, head on over to the odyssey boards and you will see some chronic, fairly major issues going on since the 2018 model year.

I’m keeping an open mind when I go for my test drives, but between AWD, mpg, and the reliability factor, it will have to be something significant for me to choose the odyssey.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’m in the middle of deciding between these two myself. Haven’t test driven either yet, planning on it early next month. On paper, I am leaning more toward the Sienna. I have previously owned a 2004 Prius, I loved Toyota’s hybrid system. I have also owned a ‘93 accord, loved the Honda feel.

However, head on over to the odyssey boards and you will see some chronic, fairly major issues going on since the 2018 model year.

I’m keeping an open mind when I go for my test drives, but between AWD, mpg, and the reliability factor, it will have to be something significant for me to choose the odyssey.
I’m pretty much in the same boat, although I like the Sienna look more. What are the chronic odyssey issues you hear about?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Off the top of my head, AC not charged enough, audio pops and crackles, rear entertainment system breaking, ‘18/19 models with 9 speed transmission have issues, variable cylinder management causing mechanical issues, engine failing to start back up after stopping at a light.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Off the top of my head, AC not charged enough, audio pops and crackles, rear entertainment system breaking, ‘18/19 models with 9 speed transmission have issues, variable cylinder management causing mechanical issues, engine failing to start back up after stopping at a light.
Wow they still haven’t fix the VCM issues? I have an after-market disabler on my current odyssey.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yea, I see a lot of people disabling the vcm, that’s a red flag to me.

Here is the list I generated when comparing the XSE to the odyssey touring. There are more, but these are what stuck out for me, personally.

Honda Touring Feature Delta
+Cabin Watch
-MPG
+Leather seats
+Rear Entertainment System
-Only 4 USB ports - Front Console (1 Port) 2nd-Row (2 Ports) 3rd-Row (1 Port)
-8 In. Display (vs 9 in. Display)
-CabinTalk only through headphones
-No wireless phone charger option
+3rd row integrated shades
+Driver seat memory
+Reverse tilt down side mirrors

·
Registered
123 Posts

Do you have time to wait for MY 2022? Our 2011 had some bugs, and that wasn’t even a full redesign. For example, we’ve had 3 services for sliding doors - motors, wiring, and a broken cable. In fairness, all were covered, eventually.

We’re thinking fall 2023 for MY 2024. Hoping for mid cycle refresh just as we add a new driver in the family.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea, I see a lot of people disabling the vcm, that’s a red flag to me.

Here is the list I generated when comparing the XSE to the odyssey touring. There are more, but these are what stuck out for me, personally.

Honda Touring Feature Delta
+Cabin Watch
-MPG
+Leather seats
+Rear Entertainment System
-Only 4 USB ports - Front Console (1 Port) 2nd-Row (2 Ports) 3rd-Row (1 Port)
-8 In. Display (vs 9 in. Display)
-CabinTalk only through headphones
-No wireless phone charger option
+3rd row integrated shades
+Driver seat memory
+Reverse tilt down side mirrors
Thanks for the list. Why compare XSE to the Touring though? Wouldn’t it be closer price point to EX-L?

·
Registered
2021 Sienna Hybrid XLE Plus
22 Posts
I have the 2021 Sienna. MPG is hovering around 38 mpg right now with about 200 miles on the odo which is stellar. I'm not a fan of the bridge console of the Sienna nor the fact that you cannot remove the 2nd row seats. I greatly preferred the interior of the Odyssey, but in the end the gas savings of the hybrid outweighed the rest. Standard safety tech on all trims + 2 years of free maintenance are other draws in addition to less maintenance costs overall on Toyota hybrids versus their gas only siblings. The Sienna is underpowered though and compared to the V6 in the Odyssey it will definitely be felt. But again, for us, gas mileage/efficiency were paramount so we went with the Sienna.

If anyone is near East TN and wants to test drive it before going to a dealership I'll gladly meet up and let you take it for a spin.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Honda deleted the rear a/c unit and the roof mounted air vents. Now the front fan has to go full blast to cool the huge interior. All to cut costs. So if you have kids in rear facing car seats, they won't be getting a/c air directly on them.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Honda deleted the rear a/c unit and the roof mounted air vents. Now the front fan has to go full blast to cool the huge interior. All to cut costs. So if you have kids in rear facing car seats, they won't be getting a/c air directly on them.
You mean there are now no vents in the rear at all?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Do yourself a favor and check out the Pacifica as well.
In theory I’m open to it. But given the abysmal FCA reliability and resale, I can’t see myself going new there. And I need to upgrade before about Mar or Apr, when I would otherwise have to do a timing belt, brakes, trans fluid and new tires on my current Odyssey.

·
Registered
169 Posts
There are vents, but low mounted. One of the best things about minivans are the roof vents. As for abysmal FCA reliability, FCA is the leading seller of minivans. If it really was that bad, no one would be buying them. Anyway, what's it hurt to check it out? I'm in the market and I'm checking out all the minivans. Even the Kia Sedona when it comes out.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts