Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Honda deleted the rear a/c unit and the roof mounted air vents. Now the front fan has to go full blast to cool the huge interior. All to cut costs. So if you have kids in rear facing car seats, they won't be getting a/c air directly on them.
Does the 4th gen sienna have a a/c evaporator in the rear, or is it just a fan for recirc?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yup, Honda deleted the rear evaporator to cut costs.
It's a shame. My 2008 Honda Odyssey EXL is at 98,000 and I have never had a significant problem.
It is the best car I have ever owned in my 87 years and I love driving it. I am keeping it for myself and the wife gets the Sienna.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's a shame. My 2008 Honda Odyssey EXL is at 98,000 and I have never had a significant problem.
It is the best car I have ever owned in my 87 years and I love driving it. I am keeping it for myself and the wife gets the Sienna.
It is a shame. My parents have a 03 odyssey with 220k on it. Not having rear ac for the 3rd row is terrible. I have a pathfinder that has rear hvac, with a heater core in the back but no a/c evap so the "cold" function is useless. I dont think I can do another large vehicle without a rear a/c evap.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I used to frequent ODyclub
Used my own money bought 2004/08 sienna, 07 odyssey ex-l, and my parent 08 quest SE

The odyssey was sold after 22k miles
Issues
1. Lousy gas mileage.
2. VCM vibration got worst
3. Warped brake

Out of the three
Quest ended up staying longest with us. Only thing that broke was the driver rear door handle. Paid $16,995 plus tax. Lasted 9 years and 140k miles before getting side swiped.

out of the 4 van- odyssey didn’t age well at all. A lot of squeak developed over the 2 years.

·
Registered
106 Posts
That's really a shame about Honda reliability declining. I had a 20 year old Acura TL which I just sold after buying the 2021 Sienna. It was a fantastic car that still drove great. Very few issues over the time I owned it. Never left me stranded.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've never owned a Ody, but just by perusing the internet I get the impression there has been quite a lot of groupthink going on in the automotive press, lavishing endless praise on Honda when it's really not deserved.

The rear vent issue was quite an eye opener; never knew that before.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've seen a few posts about the Odyssey safety/safety ratings. Is the new Sienna worse or not better? I would have expected improvements given that it's a new design versus the years-old Odyssey?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've seen a few posts about the Odyssey safety/safety ratings. Is the new Sienna worse or not better? I would have expected improvements given that it's a new design versus the years-old Odyssey?
Big improvements with small overlap impact testing: IIHS ratings for 2021 Sienna, 2021 Odyssey

Front & rear parking assist with automatic braking is standard on Sienna XLE and higher, activates up to 9mph to avoid collisions. Tried to see if Odyssey had this, but couldn't find it.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts