Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my 2021 Sienna got into car accident where two airbags got deployed (Driver wheel and Driver Knee airbags). THe hit itself wasn't bad (not muich damage to car itself) but I'm not able to start the car. When [Start Engine] is pressed, the dashboard lights up but car itself doesn't start.
I guess my general question would be if anyone has an idea what could be preventing the car from starting. Is airbag system needs to be reset? Is there any other computer crash data that needs to be reset? Trying to figure it out myself first before towing it to dealer.

Thanks.

·
Registered
423 Posts
As far as I know, the sienna as any other modern vehicle, will protect itself from driving due to numerous faults detected in the computer.
Maybe the water pump for the hybrid battery is not working as intended.
I would take it to the dealer

·
Registered
523 Posts
As far as I know, the sienna as any other modern vehicle, will protect itself from driving due to numerous faults detected in the computer.
Maybe the water pump for the hybrid battery is not working as intended.
I would take it to the dealer
Just wanted to point out the hybrid batteries in the Sienna (and most Toyota hybrids) are air cooled. I believe the Prime plug-in hybrids have liquid cooling system.
The motor inverter is liquid cooled though, maybe you were thinking of that.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I have heard they will not start if the airbags have deployed. I hope this isn't true, suppose you're in the Ukraine in a war zone and something like this happens.
Actually this is an interesting point. There are a lot of paramilitary vehicles that are modified commercial vehicles (market segment known as Commercial Armored Vehicles (CAV's)). The Ford F-550 and Toyota Land Cruiser series are particularly common chassis donor candidates. You would hope that they keep rolling even when major faults are encountered.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I have heard they will not start if the airbags have deployed. I hope this isn't true, suppose you're in the Ukraine in a war zone and something like this happens.
TBH I dont think our siennas (gen4) will survive on Ukraine.
The hatch would melt, (yes it happens) the TPMS system would stop working and the paint would just fall off with a small quantity of dust..
Gen3 on the other hand would be a suitable candidate

·
Registered
326 Posts
Hybrids in general are very complicated vehicles. Combine the complexity of a ICE and EV vehicle and you get a Hybrid - so many things to go wrong during a collision. So in case you wanna start a car chase with a cops - pick something simple with AWD like a Subaru.or American pickup truck or Toyota Hilux (Terrorist favorite transpo).

·
Registered
2009 le awd
439 Posts
Perhaps I am wrong, someone I know got in a accident and said the vehicle would not start after. But reading This article it might not be the case. The O.P.'s mishap doesn't sound serious enough to deploy them with minimal vehicle damage.

·
Registered
240 Posts
if the airbags deployed, the impact was significant enough to cause the computer to think they needed it, which a 5 or 10mph impact won't do. if you hit something that hard, you need to call insurance and file a claim and let a body shop and your/their insurance figure it out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update:

I have never had a hybrid car. Apparently when I press Start Engine car, all the lights on dash board light up and at that point the car is considered started. Once I shifted into R gear I was able to drive back and forward and then I heard engine motor kick in.
So in summary: even with deployed airbags, 2021 Sienna will start without resetting anything.
I’m pretty sure I’ll need to reset SRS after replacing airbags.

Saw couple mentions about Ukraine here. This post has nothing to do with Ukraine other then my name

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
Hybrids in general are very complicated vehicles. Combine the complexity of a ICE and EV vehicle and you get a Hybrid - so many things to go wrong during a collision. So in case you wanna start a car chase with a cops - pick something simple with AWD like a Subaru.or American pickup truck or Toyota Hilux (Terrorist favorite transpo).
I have a feeling that the ICE-only vehicles are just as [over]protected electronically and [over]connected to the Mothership as those with electrified propulsion.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Update:

I have never had a hybrid car. Apparently when I press Start Engine car, all the lights on dash board light up and at that point the car is considered started. Once I shifted into R gear I was able to drive back and forward and then I heard engine motor kick in.
So in summary: even with deployed airbags, 2021 Sienna will start without resetting anything.
I’m pretty sure I’ll need to reset SRS after replacing airbags.

Saw couple mentions about Ukraine here. This post has nothing to do with Ukraine other then my name
Good to know
the ukraine part was just a very bad joke regarding siennas build quality

1 - 20 of 23 Posts