Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Looks like a long Highlander but with the Sienna Grille. Glad we have a 2018, don't like the 2.5 4 cylinder and CVT transmission. Some inside changes look like a nice upgrade/change. We will be keeping our old school 2018 for a long time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Looks like a long Highlander but with the Sienna Grille. Glad we have a 2018, don't like the 2.5 4 cylinder and CVT transmission. Some inside changes look like a nice upgrade/change. We will be keeping our old school 2018 for a long time.
I can live with the front end, but would take some time to get used to the bulging side panels. Front half of the profile looks very SUV-ish. I can definitely see where they leveraged the latest bullet train looks.

Interior looks okay... definitely more car/SUV-like, less van-like.

We've got an '08 so we're loooong overdue for a new one... and this just might do the trick.

I typically avoid first model years, but not sure how much real-world feedback there'll be from this first year anyways with so many fewer car buyers. And it's the same powertrain as the Highlander, so that's worth something... 33 mpg (7.1 L/100 km) would be awesome!

Of course, I wonder how aggressively they'll price it and push it... 0% / 72-month financing, anyone? ;)

·
Registered
293 Posts
This will be a deal-breaker for some (per the cnet review):

"The second-row seats aren't removable and can't fold, though, due to integrated side airbags."

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This will be a deal-breaker for some (per the cnet review):

"The second-row seats aren't removable and can't fold, though, due to integrated side airbags."
Yeah, I loved the ability to haul building materials, garden supplies, furniture, etc. Now it's really just a family hauler.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
The grill seems inspired by Lexus.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Advanced info told us the 2021 Toyota Sienna would be a big redesign, but NO V6, 2nd row seats aren't removable,etc is a big time FAIL!

Overjoyed we bought a 2020 Toyota Sienna LE 6 months ago, with the lockdown, we've driven a total of 500 miles! With nearly 300HP, this van is...quick! Handles like a Camry, with the room of a truck!

Our old 2001 Honda Odyssey is still running VERY strong at 180,000 miles[new trans rebuild at 150,000 miles/timing belt/water pump at 85,000 miles and again at 150,000 miles]...now on BatteryTender! It's the "haul big loads to the recycle/goodwill van" now! With 209HP, this van pulls like a V8! Surprisingly powerful!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Maybe the biggest FAIL for new 2021 Toyota Sienna is CVT, glad we got the last "real" auto trans in our 2020 Toyota Sienna LE! With a more than anyone needs almost 300HP, this van handles like a Camry with hauling room like a truck!
Since I needed to remove center row seats[new 2021 center row seats can't be removed because of air bags]for robot wheelchair grabber and drivers special electric seat that comes entirely OUT of the vehicle and lowers to wheelchair height! This setup in our new 2020 Toyota Sienna LE has this old vet grin'n! The ease of use for me is amazing, never have to lift my wheelchair again or worry about bailing out getting in/out of the van!
the link below is NOT what I use, but very similar,our van also has a "behind the driver seat wheelchair grabber, where the driver side sliding door opens and wheelchair comes/goes from van to ground"!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Maybe the biggest FAIL for new 2021 Toyota Sienna is CVT, glad we got the last "real" auto trans in our 2020 Toyota Sienna LE!
Can you help me understand why you prefer a "real" auto transmission over a CVT?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Can you help me understand why you prefer a "real" auto transmission over a CVT?

I believe CVT's don't have the reliability of Toyota's 2020 Sienna auto trans! Time will tell...

CVT's are now common place on little sedans/hatches and many are having issues...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I believe CVT's don't have the reliability of Toyota's 2020 Sienna auto trans! Time will tell...

CVT's are now common place on little sedans/hatches and many are having issues...
Toyota hybrids don't use mechanical belt/chain-driven CVTs like conventional gas engines... they use eCVTs that use electric motors/ generators to control planetary gearsets, creating theoretically continuously efficient gear ratios. They've worked pretty well for Toyota so far.

Cant wait to see how much quicker the hybrid is than the gas models!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Toyota hybrids don't use mechanical belt/chain-driven CVTs like conventional gas engines... they use eCVTs that use electric motors/ generators to control planetary gearsets, creating theoretically continuously efficient gear ratios. They've worked pretty well for Toyota so far.

Cant wait to see how much quicker the hybrid is than the gas models!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yep, that's a traditional CVT Toyota uses on their conventional gas engines, not the eCVT they use on their hybrids... same purpose, completely different operation.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't know if Toyota "monitors" this forum or not and maybe I'm in the minority but I've been waiting for this exact platform; hybrid, awd, minivan. The 2nd row seat removal doesn't bother me. I don't need or want a V6 as I want fuel mileage in an AWD platform. If I knew the price and the ground clearance, you could probably sign me up now. I've never bought a 1st gen vehicle but this will probably change my mind (or maybe the Venza).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yep, that's a traditional CVT Toyota uses on their conventional gas engines, not the eCVT they use on their hybrids... same purpose, completely different operation.

Thank you for the eCVT vs gas CVT data! I hope the eCVT used in 2021 Toyota Sienna is as reliable as their very well built 2020 8 speed auto trans.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts