Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thank you for the eCVT vs gas CVT data! I hope the eCVT used in 2021 Toyota Sienna is as reliable as their very well built 2020 8 speed auto trans.
No problem. Toyota's been using this technology since their first Priuses in the 90's when it was called Toyota Hybrid Drive (THD). Then it got renamed Hybrid Synergy Drive (HSD) when it got licensed to other manufacturers like Nissan. I think eCVT is their moniker for the latest (4th?) generation so I hope they've got a most of the bugs worked out... remember, this is what they put in their Lexus R450h "performance" hybrid.

Conventional CVT's have only gotten common in smaller cars like the Corolla in the last 5 years or so... belts or chains are noisy and are susceptible to wear. I dislike the one on my wife's Corolla, but I especially hate the ones that come with "fake" shift points to satisfy the uninitiated.

The 2020 Highlander Hybrid does 0-60 in 7.2 seconds which is quicker than the 7.8 for the 2020 V6 Sienna, so I'm curious to see what the 2021 Sienna Hybrid will do! A lot of people are bemoaning the smaller gas engine, completely ignoring the two torquey electric motors that make it a hybrid! It'll still tow 3500 lbs so should be similar, and hopefully a little quicker than the V6.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
The hybrid drive is a huge plus. We have well over 250k on our Prius and going strong. Non removable middle row is a huge mistake. For me, a minivan is a great jack of all trades. If I can’t fit some lumber or my garden tractor inside, they lost me.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts