Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Toyota dealer received their first 2021 Sienna a few days ago. We took this Limited FWD model for a spin. Here’s what we thought: Pros: The hybrid power train seems to have plenty of power, and it was hard to detect when the engine kicked on in normal driving. Under heavy acceleration the 4 cylinder makes a little more noise than my 2011 3.5L V6, but not bad. The ride was better than our 2011 Sienna, probably due to the independent rear suspension. Air conditioner seemed to work fine when parked with no engine running. Nice stereo with the big subwoofer. The grey interior looked very nice and well-coordinated to the interior trim compared to the other interior colors. Cons: When the 3rd row seats are folded down that portion of the cargo floor is about an inch higher than the rest of the floor, and there are gaps around the perimeter of the seats for small cargo to fall into. There is only one rather small glove box...the big double glove boxes on our 2011 spoiled us. The 3rd row seat windows are very small. If you don’t purchase the optional spare tire, you also get no jack. Overall, we thought the pros far outweighed the cons. We ordered a Limited FWD with the metallic grey exterior and light grey interior with the spare tire option. Our dealer searched far and wide for one with the spare tire option, but could find none. A three to four month wait doesn’t bother us - when they find one in circulation, you usually have to pay for a couple of options that you don’t really want.

·
Registered
35 Posts
When you do a "special order" from the dealer, how much discount from MSRP can you expect? I'm not sure how you negotiate the price so far in advance before you even know what all of the options will be. Also, what happens if Toyota offers some type of incentive in a few months. Will that still be applied when you finally pay for the car?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you do a "special order" from the dealer, how much discount from MSRP can you expect? I'm not sure how you negotiate the price so far in advance before you even know what all of the options will be. Also, what happens if Toyota offers some type of incentive in a few months. Will that still be applied when you finally pay for the car?
After going through a few “haggle” cycles, they finally offered a little over $2,000 off list price, which they said was their “2% over cost“ minimum. Verbally, they said they would credit me for any dealer incentives available when it is delivered, but I don’t expect there to be any that early in a new model year. They also agreed to a fair trade-in value for my 2011 Sienna based on the future anticipated mileage. (I’m not crazy about selling my 2011 myself in this covid environment.)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After going through a few “haggle” cycles, they finally offered a little over $2,000 off list price, which they said was their “2% over cost“ minimum. Verbally, they said they would credit me for any dealer incentives available when it is delivered, but I don’t expect there to be any that early in a new model year. They also agreed to a fair trade-in value for my 2011 Sienna based on the future anticipated mileage. (I’m not crazy about selling my 2011 myself in this covid environment.)
I should also add, all options are already defined and priced on Toyota‘s web page. Just go through the “build“ links.

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
It doesn't seem to work for everyone, but I did a special order for my 2014 Sienna Limited through the Costco Auto Program. There are other buying programs (TrueCar?) that seem to be similar but I got some nifty "free" stuff with the Costco program. All invoice prices were disclosed without my asking. The Costco discounts were what I would call "significant" but I don't know if the Costco or similar programs would work on a newly introduced model like the gen 4 Sienna. My understanding is that dealerships participating in these buying programs can exclude models.

Yes, if Toyota introduces an incentive before your special order vehicle arrives, you still get it. This happened in my case in 2014. Toyota introduced a modest rebate that applied to several Midwest states including the state I live in and the state in which I was buying the Sienna. I don't know if the selling Toyota dealership would have disclosed the existence of the rebate or if it would have claimed the rebate for itself as extra profit.

Regardless, I obtained the rebate form elsewhere and presented it when I paid for the Sienna. I could have instead mailed the rebate form to Toyota and received a check but it was beneficial to use it when I paid for the Sienna since the rebate would have been taxable in my home state and applying the rebate to the purchase price reduced the sales tax I had to pay to my home state. Doing it this way essentially hid the existence of the rebate from my home state!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts