Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2021 XSE AWD Tech
264 Posts
I did travel on similar road on my XSE AWD over last weekend to a monastery in the wood about an hour south of Montreal Canada. The in-car navigation mapped the route and somehow it mapped us to use road similar to the one on the video when we exited the main highway. I tempted to turn back but we got to some section too narrow to turn around so we keep going and I kind of wanted to see how the AWD perform. We went through it and the van AWD performed flawlessly without a scratch to the underbody and we have 5 people in the van (3 adult and 2 kids) with some cargo. Too bad I don't have the dash cam to show it. I don't think I will do it again but it showed the system worked. Some pick-up trucks we passed on the opposite side of the road probably wondering how the hell did the van make it through this road :)

·
Registered
21 Sienna AWD Plat Silver
871 Posts
A month ago I was on a gravel road with our AWD in the Badlands and found it to be a bit squirrelly at 50mph+ with the LTA enabled. The ride quality was significantly better upon disabling LTA and choosing to guide us down that rocky dusty path manually.
Toyota says in its manual to not use LTA during rain or snow. I don’t recall what it says about gravel roads, but I would think LTA is not recommended for it either.

·
Registered
21 Sienna AWD Plat Silver
871 Posts
Some more thoughts based on my recent experiences visiting dozen+ national parks.

1. I really wish it had some more clearance, if nothing but for the hitch receiver. I had put 6inch riser for my hitch storage box, but it was still catching ground at a few places.

2. Full size spare tucked away somewhere. A lot of national parks or roads to get there don't have cellular coverage. I actually saw a car's main tread of front driver side tire separate from sidewall and continue rolling in the median after the car had managed to pull over. This was near Mojavee Airport on 58.

3. I got a lot of dirt in sliding door tracks from driving on dirt/gravel roads in Kansas. I don't know what all places it has made it that I can't see or reach.

4. I hit undercarriage under front passenger very hard when I edged off the paved road in Sequoia NP by the tunnel log. I pulled over and checked and can see some scratches. Let's see what 10k service trip to dealer gets me in to. If it's big, I don't know if I can claim to my insurance. The guy coming in the other direction caught my surprise by his speed and insistence to stay on paved road.

·
Registered
913 Posts
3. I got a lot of dirt in sliding door tracks from driving on dirt/gravel roads in Kansas. I don't know what all places it has made it that I can't see or reach
Same! I was a bit shocked by just how much dust and dirt penetrates around second row sliding doors at both top and bottom. All the little nooks and pickets holding the powered slide mechanism looked like I’d literally shoveled multiple scoops of soil directly into them. Not as bad in rear deck area around the trunk, but still more than expected.

·
Registered
2021 XSE AWD Tech
264 Posts
Got lots of dust and dirt too inside the track of the sliding door, have to reach in with a wet towel to clean it as the shop vac won't pick it up. Reach as far as I can, hopefully I got most of it so it won't cake in there and cause rust. Kind worry me about the road too as we have no spare at all and if we have a flat there, good luck getting a tow truck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts