Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
1,253 Posts
Same thing just happened to us in Quebec, after two -20c nights. Our 2022 Sienna AWD XLE Tech package battery was completly emptied out. We didn't go for any short rides and didn't leave any accessories going during the night. 175 miles on the car.

Had it jump started yesterday but I have to admit, we really hope this gets fixed quite soon specially with the current weather and with three childs under 4 yo. In the meantime, I'll be carrying a booster pack, just in case...
Have it documented with dealership... the more cases they see hopefully more impetus to act.

Most of the Asian auto makers undersize their batteries [you hear me Subie :)] and unfortunately some owners just end up getting a better battery [about $150 or less] out of pocket to avoid the hassle.

· Registered
1,253 Posts
I also have a Canadian 2022 XSE AWD
Had the battery problem for the first time 2 weeks ago.. Jump started and recharged the battery.
Last monday, battery dead when I was going to job, jump started again and went to the dealer to check the problem.
They did a lot of tests with the vehicle but can't find a solution.
Technical advisor called me yesterday and told me that 2 Toyota engineers are coming Tuesday next week to check what's going on!
They told me that at this dealer, 3 people got the same problem as me so yeah..

To be follow!
Did they check kick sensors being on even when van off?

· Registered
1,253 Posts
It seems these all these dead batteries just started happening about a month ago. I wonder why only then? Could it be cold weather that has uncovered/excacerbated the kick sensor battery drain? Seems like this is a real issue. Whenever I start my car now I'm half expecting it to be dead.
Good point about the cold.

Wonder if salt/ice/snow/mud build up underneath also contributing?

· Registered
1,253 Posts
I'm having similar issues. Picked up a Limited on Jan 24th, a couple days later I got a notification on the Toyota Connected app that a "window was down". Went outside to check the car, no windows down, went back inside. Next morning the battery was dead. Second time it happened I used the app to lock the van when it told me it was unlocked (i had run an errand and didn't lock it when I got home), the next morning it was dead. Took it in today to the dealer, they checked the battery and claimed it was dying due to short trips plus the extreme cold. Not feeling like that is the correct answer, given that the only times it happened the Toyota Connected app was involved. I feel like it was something to do with the DCM.
We've had -30 C temps and no issues.

Biggest difference is that we have base so no kick sensors, wi-fi, connected app. Are you normally in area with good cell tower reception?

Most likely one or combo of above causing issues.

· Registered
1,253 Posts
Just wondering, anyone experience a similar situation with the 2021 Sienna? I have the 2021 model. I got the vehicle back in July 2021. But since then I have jump started my car at least 10 times since then due to battery not enough charge to start the vehicle.

I have gone back to the dealer to check but they say battery has no issues. They say I may of not drive the car enough. Which may be true. I only get to drive it 2-3 short trips a week now adays. But my driving habit is the same with my previous vehicle(non-hybrid). And I never had a problem. So I am wonder if my car has the same kick sensor issue like the 2022 models.
Turn off kick sensors and test it out.

Make sure no connections loose although would think dealership checked.

· Registered
1,253 Posts
Guys - I also have the same issue with my 22' Platinum, we live in New Hampshire and it got super cold last night, remote start wouldn't work, so I knew something was up. Went to the car and car wouldn't start... I've had this happen to me multiple times in the last 14 months I've owned the car. This is unacceptable IMO, and we do not want to be stranded anywhere if this were to happen unexpectedly - I'd like to put in a new battery that is larger in capacity than the one came with the car.

Do you folks have suggestions on the larger capacity battery and where to purchase?

FYI - I have Viofo A139 dashcam installed with the the hardware kit that apparently has a low voltage protection which should shut off the dashcam if it goes below a certain threshold- not sure if this is the culprit - https://www.amazon.com/VIOFO-HK3-C-...0e-82d2-56caaeb9dd23&pd_rd_i=B08TW9BBGB&psc=1

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Dealership might try to put fault on the dashcam.

Can try to unplug for a week or so [use 12V or USB to power] and see if any difference.

· Registered
1,253 Posts
Between the FOBs and the buttons on the sliding door we find it more then enough for convenience so think people are doing right thing to turn off kick sensors until a fix is available, if at all.

Do still rinse undercarriage with hose quickly after most drives in winter.

· Registered
1,253 Posts
Well folks, go back to the 70’s when people began switching to Toyotas, Hondas, Datsuns, etc because they were so much more reliable and cheaper to maintain. Now fast forward to the 20’s or even the 10’s - I had a 2011 Sienna LE with factory Auto Access Seat which was great for loading and unloading my adult handicapped daughter. Things were pretty good until about 80k then all kinds of electrical stuff went wrong the worst being the power sliding side doors developed a mind of their own-!came close to smashing my young grandson. I took it in several times and they couldn’t find issue which I told them it was intermittent . They basically told me tough. I rattled cages from top to bottom at corporate and finally they brought in corporate tech that fixed it in half day. Great- but what about the thousands of people with vans from 2011-2016 with same problem? They had to file class action law suits. So the point I’m making is Toyota isnt the reliable quality they once were- they have become greedy profiteers all about maximum stock dividends and profits. I also have a 2018 Sienna- they have cheapened down the interior. the info/ entertainment system, and the insulation/ soundproofing. Does that sound like a quality first company? Not anymore ! Caveat Emptor!
Toyota tends to go thru these decontenting cycles.

Dad telling me how they bought a new prior gen Camry vs the new redesigned model because everything from tires, soundproofing, panels alignment, ride, etc. were better on prior gen.

Took a couple of more gens before got back to quality.

· Registered
1,253 Posts
Got the same issue 2022 XSE only have 900 miles on car had it maybe 9 months, If I leave the car sitting more than 2 days the battery is dead. Very frustrating issue on a new car, especially being stranded with a little kid and a baby. Toyota really messed up here!

Those of you that had the kick sensor replaced, has that fixed your problem?

Going to call the dealer tomorrow.
See post # 144... perhaps it applies to your van.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts