Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
101 - 104 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
The biggest theory, at least here in Canada is either the DCM is continually searching for a cellular connection to the Toyota satellite, or that ice and snow, or possibly mud on the kick sensors prevents the sensors from turning off.

My battery died 15 times in December and January, but when I made an effort to wipe the ice and snow off the sensors on the rocker panels, battery stopped dying.

Disabling the DCM could work but be fore-warned, this will disable the hands free microphone.

I was at my Canadian dealer last week, and there is no word on a kick sensor fix.

There is a DCM fix in the USA but not in Canada for the 2022 Sienna. Although Rav4 and Highlanders got a DCM fix for 2022 in addition to the Camry.
In regards to the battery, I have it on good authority that the kick sensors when blocked will drain the battery - This is caused by dirt or more likely snow,

·
Registered
2 Posts
In regards to the battery, I have it on good authority that the kick sensors when blocked will drain the battery - This is caused by dirt or more likely snow,
Thanks for all of these posts. It seems to exactly describe the issue I had.

We have a 2022 Sienna platinum with 2560 miles on it. I went to get into the van and start it but and I received parking brake unavailable messages on the display, interior lights were dim and the van would not start. The van was last driven 6 days before in a snowstorm and then was parked in the garage where all of the snow melted off. The garage was 40+ degrees Fahrenheit so the van was in a warmer place.

After reading the posts I also determined that the 12 volt battery was depleted and then used a plugin battery charger for 5 to 7 mins to recharge the battery (instructions are in the owners manual) and then tried to start it up. It started fine, I disconnected the charger and then drove around the neighborhood for 20 mins and then disabled the hands free door sensors for the sliding doors and the lift gate.

I'm going to pickup a portable charger just to keep one in the van in case this issue happens again.

I'll try to update this post going forward. If this fix resolves the issue for me or not.

Thanks all!!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thanks for all of these posts. It seems to exactly describe the issue I had.

We have a 2022 Sienna platinum with 2560 miles on it. I went to get into the van and start it but and I received parking brake unavailable messages on the display, interior lights were dim and the van would not start. The van was last driven 6 days before in a snowstorm and then was parked in the garage where all of the snow melted off. The garage was 40+ degrees Fahrenheit so the van was in a warmer place.

After reading the posts I also determined that the 12 volt battery was depleted and then used a plugin battery charger for 5 to 7 mins to recharge the battery (instructions are in the owners manual) and then tried to start it up. It started fine, I disconnected the charger and then drove around the neighborhood for 20 mins and then disabled the hands free door sensors for the sliding doors and the lift gate.

I'm going to pickup a portable charger just to keep one in the van in case this issue happens again.

I'll try to update this post going forward. If this fix resolves the issue for me or not.
Not sure if this will also help, but we have a 15 year old prius with an old 12v battery and with smart keys (but no kick sensors) that we park outside. On very cold nights (below freezing or colder), we disable the smart key system (small button on the lower dash makes that easy). We noticed that, in extreme cold, the smart key system would also drain the old 12v battery (since the prius and sienna has a smart key radio receiver that runs on the 12v system and is powered on 24/7). So that might be something to do for the Sienna to preserve its 12v battery as well.

101 - 104 of 104 Posts