Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
141 - 156 of 156 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
2022 AWD Platinum with the entertainment package. 16,000 miles on it and had it for just over a year. So far we've woken up to a drained battery about 8-10 times since we purchased it over the past year. The dealership has had it for days at a time (up to a week) for this and various other issues and can't reproduce the issue so hence has done nothing about it.

It's an infuriating problem. I hope Toyota figures this out. I'm about to call lemon law on this thing.

· Registered
78 Posts
2022 AWD Platinum with the entertainment package. 16,000 miles on it and had it for just over a year. So far we've woken up to a drained battery about 8-10 times since we purchased it over the past year. The dealership has had it for days at a time (up to a week) for this and various other issues and can't reproduce the issue so hence has done nothing about it.

It's an infuriating problem. I hope Toyota figures this out. I'm about to call lemon law on this thing.
Are you in a colder climate? A lot of people have posted about battery dieing after cold nights.

· Registered
9 Posts
Are you in a colder climate? A lot of people have posted about battery dieing after cold nights.
Nope, I'm in the SF bay area of California. It's happened all year round so far. Playing Russian roulette with our car every morning hoping it hasn't drained its battery and causing us to be late is an exciting way to live, but not how I expect a new car to behave. I think we've missed/rescheduled several doctors and dentist appointments and neumorous family get-togethers. In one case it didn't start while we were camping. Had to get a jump to go home.

· Registered
13 Posts
We have a 22 XSE AWD picked up in Fall 22 and no issues so far this winter. We park in the garage and I knock most of the snow underneath before pulling in.

If Toyota was aware early in 2022, would Sienna's produced later in the year have software fixes already in place? Edit: found this TSB T-SB-0071-22 Toyota Technical Service Bulletin which seems to indicate it might have been fixed in later versions?
Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Number

I may disable the kick-sensors just in case. The convenience of them is not worth the inconvenience of coming out to a dead battery.

· Registered
2 Posts
I got 2022 sienna xse and it has only 8000 km, same problem with draining the battery and keep boosting in the morning for more couple times. Now that l turn on, engine light is on and directed me to visit the dealer...

· Registered
13 Posts
I got 2022 sienna xse and it has only 8000 km, same problem with draining the battery and keep boosting in the morning for more couple times. Now that l turn on, engine light is on and directed me to visit the dealer...
Ugh, sorry to hear. No fun dealing with that on an essentially new vehicle.

Is your VIN a lower number than the production VINs posted above? Just wondering to figure out if Toyota successfully fixed this issue. Thanks.

· Registered
2 Posts
Update.. the dealer told me that the battery is depth dead and they charge it and now its okay. But l told them that l try to fully charge the battery too but still dead in the morning. And they said l need to drive my car atleast 45 minutes everyday to get the battery charged, sounds ridiculous. I drive my car to and from work and pick up my kids which is 5-20 minute max. I got other vehicle standby for 2 weeks but turns on everytime l wanna use...
We have 17000 km and our Sienna is 9 months old and just happened that it would not start…had it towed to the dealer and they said it was the battery. Why now? They turned off the sensors and have called Toyota as they have had some problems with sensors draining the batteties so they said.
We have 17000 km and our Sienna is 9 months old and just happened that it would not start…had it towed to the dealer and they said it was the battery. Why now? They turned off the sensors and have called Toyota as they have had some problems with sensors draining the batteties so they said.
We got 8 months with 8000k, same problem. The dealer said battery is dead and they charged it and its ready to roll but l told them that l charged it fully through and still dead then now They want us to drive our van 45 minutes atleast everyday to keep battery full which sounds ridiculous coz l only use the car to work and home wchich 20 minutes max.

· Registered
257 Posts
Update.. the dealer told me that the battery is depth dead and they charge it and now its okay. But l told them that l try to fully charge the battery too but still dead in the morning. And they said l need to drive my car atleast 45 minutes everyday to get the battery charged, sounds ridiculous. I drive my car to and from work and pick up my kids which is 5-20 minute max. I got other vehicle standby for 2 weeks but turns on everytime l wanna use...

We got 8 months with 8000k, same problem. The dealer said battery is dead and they charged it and its ready to roll but l told them that l charged it fully through and still dead then now They want us to drive our van 45 minutes atleast everyday to keep battery full which sounds ridiculous coz l only use the car to work and home wchich 20 minutes max.
Unless your running a bunch of electronics in the van your dealer is clueless. Unlike a regular ICE vehicle driving a high amperage starter motor, the Sienna 12v battery has very low drain only powering up the computer and energizing the HVB relays, and will recharge to full very quickly.

Your battery is toast (internally shorted) if it's not holding a charge OR there is a phantom drain. I had this on a truck many years ago. Battery would be dead every morning. Only way I found it was one night I noticed a glow under the front end. Turns out the gravity switch for the hood light was stuck in the "on" position. Removed the bulb, no more drain, problem solved.

I would start with anything added after-market, look for anything you (or kids/spouse) leaves plugged in, check that the far rear light above the tailgate door is not turned on, etc. It may take some trial and error pulling fuses (using an amp meter if you have one) and testing to see where the drain is.

· Registered
13 Posts
Update.. the dealer told me ...
Is your VIN a lower number than the production VINs posted above? Just wondering to figure out if Toyota successfully fixed this issue. Thanks.
What did they say when you referenced them the Toyota Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) posted above? When did you pick-up your Toyota (i.e., is the VIN older or newer than the TSB listings)?

· Registered
8 Posts
Well folks, go back to the 70’s when people began switching to Toyotas, Hondas, Datsuns, etc because they were so much more reliable and cheaper to maintain. Now fast forward to the 20’s or even the 10’s - I had a 2011 Sienna LE with factory Auto Access Seat which was great for loading and unloading my adult handicapped daughter. Things were pretty good until about 80k then all kinds of electrical stuff went wrong the worst being the power sliding side doors developed a mind of their own-!came close to smashing my young grandson. I took it in several times and they couldn’t find issue which I told them it was intermittent . They basically told me tough. I rattled cages from top to bottom at corporate and finally they brought in corporate tech that fixed it in half day. Great- but what about the thousands of people with vans from 2011-2016 with same problem? They had to file class action law suits. So the point I’m making is Toyota isnt the reliable quality they once were- they have become greedy profiteers all about maximum stock dividends and profits. I also have a 2018 Sienna- they have cheapened down the interior. the info/ entertainment system, and the insulation/ soundproofing. Does that sound like a quality first company? Not anymore ! Caveat Emptor!

· Registered
1,257 Posts
Well folks, go back to the 70’s when people began switching to Toyotas, Hondas, Datsuns, etc because they were so much more reliable and cheaper to maintain. Now fast forward to the 20’s or even the 10’s - I had a 2011 Sienna LE with factory Auto Access Seat which was great for loading and unloading my adult handicapped daughter. Things were pretty good until about 80k then all kinds of electrical stuff went wrong the worst being the power sliding side doors developed a mind of their own-!came close to smashing my young grandson. I took it in several times and they couldn’t find issue which I told them it was intermittent . They basically told me tough. I rattled cages from top to bottom at corporate and finally they brought in corporate tech that fixed it in half day. Great- but what about the thousands of people with vans from 2011-2016 with same problem? They had to file class action law suits. So the point I’m making is Toyota isnt the reliable quality they once were- they have become greedy profiteers all about maximum stock dividends and profits. I also have a 2018 Sienna- they have cheapened down the interior. the info/ entertainment system, and the insulation/ soundproofing. Does that sound like a quality first company? Not anymore ! Caveat Emptor!
Toyota tends to go thru these decontenting cycles.

Dad telling me how they bought a new prior gen Camry vs the new redesigned model because everything from tires, soundproofing, panels alignment, ride, etc. were better on prior gen.

Took a couple of more gens before got back to quality.

· Registered
396 Posts
Nope, I'm in the SF bay area of California. It's happened all year round so far. Playing Russian roulette with our car every morning hoping it hasn't drained its battery and causing us to be late is an exciting way to live, but not how I expect a new car to behave. I think we've missed/rescheduled several doctors and dentist appointments and neumorous family get-togethers. In one case it didn't start while we were camping. Had to get a jump to go home.
So do you park outdoors or indoors when the battery died (except the camping trip). Any chance you left the sliding door open, lights on, etc ?

· Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone come across a 2022 sienna that has to be jump started almost every morning - especially in the cold? Dealer couldn’t recreate the problem when we brought it in. Is there something that we are doing that is draining the battery? It’s not the lights we are militant about making sure the dome/map lights are off. thanks, Andrew
I had that happen and I just was contacted to bring it in to replace some sensor or something in the sliding door they believe May be causing the battery to drain.

· Registered
1 Posts
Got the same issue 2022 XSE only have 900 miles on car had it maybe 9 months, If I leave the car sitting more than 2 days the battery is dead. Very frustrating issue on a new car, especially being stranded with a little kid and a baby. Toyota really messed up here!

Those of you that had the kick sensor replaced, has that fixed your problem?

Going to call the dealer tomorrow.

· Registered
1,257 Posts
Got the same issue 2022 XSE only have 900 miles on car had it maybe 9 months, If I leave the car sitting more than 2 days the battery is dead. Very frustrating issue on a new car, especially being stranded with a little kid and a baby. Toyota really messed up here!

Those of you that had the kick sensor replaced, has that fixed your problem?

Going to call the dealer tomorrow.
See post # 144... perhaps it applies to your van.

141 - 156 of 156 Posts