Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
81 - 100 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
The idea of a Carnival Hybrid is interesting, especially if it comes equipped with an AWD turbo V6 engine mated to electric motors (sans CVT). Even if this could only garner 30mpg, the idea of 300 combined horsepower hybridized AWD Carnival would steal more sales from Honda Odyssey and Chrysler Pacifica, not to mention compete toe-to-toe with Toyota Sienna.

Reactions: Alabama XL40

·
Registered
2021 Sienna Limited • Predawn Mica Gray
36 Posts
Yeah, I agree with CR's assessment that the Carnival and the Sienna are neck in neck ... it's just the MPG and the price of the Sienna got to me (Carnival would have cost us like $7k-$10k more for similarly equipped due to market adjustments). If either company comes up with a plug-in hybrid in the near future with 50+ miles of EV range, then I am most likely trading in my 2021 Sienna.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I was actually able to test drive a Carnival LXS. It was very well equipped for a base model. I found it very odd, however, that there's no armrests for the 2nd row passengers, and there is no Sirius XM sat radio.

Finally went with a 2020 Sienna, but the Carnival is a very interesting vehicle. They're just impossible to get without a huge mark-up (if you can get one at all).

·
Registered
46 Posts
Consumer Reports gave the Carnival a nice review, with the highest road test score of any minivan tested. Looks like they had an EX based on price.

View attachment 51589
Maybe this will help their resale value. I’m cross shopping a Carnival now, since we can’t find a Sienna to buy. We don’t drive many miles, making MPG a lesser concern. And since we want an 8-passenger configuration the Sienna AWD isn’t a factor.

As others have said, the Carnival is a much nicer interior. And although I was only able to test the low trim without full ADAS features, these capabilities in the EX and up are reportedly very good, approaching GM super cruise levels.

It’s just that Kia depreciation that’s got me hesitant. (Not that we can find one of these to buy :) either.)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I actually started looking at a Carnival, but no dealers anywhere had one of those so we then started looking at Siennas.

But ha - supply issues there too. So we'll just wait I guess. Never thought I'd have to wait in my life to buy a minivan! :D

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
Where did you find this table? I’m not seeing it on CR’s website.
Its currently available in print monthly Magazine subscription. Not sure why the delay in updating the online format.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
The online results are now published at CR. 2022 Kia Carnival ties the Sienna, in overall points, both at 77 with the Carnival besting the Sienna in overall road test scores at 89 (versus 80 for Sienna). Both are rated good for predicted reliability and and very good for customer satisfaction. So, technically, the Carnival is the top rated minivan for the 1st time ever in CR ratings.

·
Banned
2021 Pre Dawn Mica XLE
58 Posts
The online results are now published at CR. 2022 Kia Carnival ties the Sienna, in overall points, both at 77 with the Carnival besting the Sienna in overall road test scores at 89 (versus 80 for Sienna). Both are rated good for predicted reliability and and very good for customer satisfaction. So, technically, the Carnival is the top rated minivan for the 1st time ever in CR ratings.
It’s a good looking mini van, we had one as a crew car in Korea…..it had ELEVEN seats!

·
Registered
228 Posts
It’s a good looking mini van, we had one as a crew car in Korea…..it had ELEVEN seats!
I think that’s called the Grand Carnival. Really cool. As soon as Kia offers it with AWD and/or a hybrid it will be an excellent option for lots of people/applications. I’ll admit the look grows on me more and more.

·
Registered
2004 LE-8
84 Posts
How do you predict reliability?
Yeah, good question. There's always the possibility of a major screwup, Ford comes to mind with problem-plagued product launches - see Explorer/Aviator. The Telluride/Palisade twins have not had problems so far in their 2 years, and they have similar powertrains/platform to the Carnival. Hyundai/Kia's CR reliability record over a decade is about average.

Toyota's CR reliability record over a decade is better at above average, but still had some issues - see 2017-2020 Siennas with DI/8AT combo. The 2021 Sienna uses components that have been around for a while - the 2.5L hybrid, eAWD, and the Highlander it shares those as well as a platform with was given an above average reliability rating from CR, so fingers crossed.

81 - 100 of 124 Posts