Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have been eyeing for a 2022 model Sienna XLE for quite some time and given 2021 are still selling for MSRP, I figure I might just place my order for 2022 and wait for it to start production. I am flexible and can wait.

Turned out, I was so naive. Toyota updated its website last Wed for 2022 model Sienna and I started calling the 14 dealers near me (DFW) and 4 dealers in OKC (where my parents live). Nearly all dealers said Toyota has NOT opened their portal to factory new orders and my best option is to wait until Toyota resumes accepting new orders. My questions are as follows:

1. I read on this forum, a user in WA was able to place his order, is Toyota not accepting orders from my geographical regions? (OK and TX) I am willing to put a refundable deposit down but no one is taking my money
2. Of the 8 dealers replied to my calls, 6 of them are ABOSULTELY POSITIVE that they are charging 3000-5000 over MSRP to place my order once order book opens. Most of these markups comes in a form of dealer accessories/add-ons; for example McKinney has $3000 mandatory dealer protection package and Family Arlington is $1500 protection. Is there any dealership near DFW and anywhere in OK willing to charge JUST MSRP and NOT $1000+ dealer accessories for my factory order? Based on your past experience, which dealers are willing to charge MSRP plus no add ons? I appreciate your help on this, MSRP is really highest Id like to pay and I simply dont any protection($3000) package.
3. This question sounds silly and not very meaningful I know, but assume I can place my order in next month or so, how long do yall think the wait could be given the huge 2021 Sienna backlog there currently is? 6 months? If anything longer than 3 month, I think I will just get my deposit back and wait little longer for things to return to normal and maybe one day, id be able to buy a Sienna few hundred $ over Invoice again. (McKinney dealer said they expect to sell new Sienna for $1000 over Invoice early next year when things return to normal, idk)
4. Wife wanted this car after seeing it in person during Texas State Fair, we will need Spare Tire, 1500W inverter and Roof Rail and those are the only accessories we want. Is it even feasible if we were to buy a brand new XLE next year off dealer lot and ask dealer to install these options for me if the car doesnt come with those pre-installed?

Thanks so much for reading my long thread,
Frank

·
Registered
Toyota Sienna 2021 AWD Platinum
797 Posts
Hi All,

I have been eyeing for a 2022 model Sienna XLE for quite some time and given 2021 are still selling for MSRP, I figure I might just place my order for 2022 and wait for it to start production. I am flexible and can wait.

Turned out, I was so naive. Toyota updated its website last Wed for 2022 model Sienna and I started calling the 14 dealers near me (DFW) and 4 dealers in OKC (where my parents live). Nearly all dealers said Toyota has NOT opened their portal to factory new orders and my best option is to wait until Toyota resumes accepting new orders. My questions are as follows:

1. I read on this forum, a user in WA was able to place his order, is Toyota not accepting orders from my geographical regions? (OK and TX) I am willing to put a refundable deposit down but no one is taking my money
2. Of the 8 dealers replied to my calls, 6 of them are ABOSULTELY POSITIVE that they are charging 3000-5000 over MSRP to place my order once order book opens. Most of these markups comes in a form of dealer accessories/add-ons; for example McKinney has $3000 mandatory dealer protection package and Family Arlington is $1500 protection. Is there any dealership near DFW and anywhere in OK willing to charge JUST MSRP and NOT $1000+ dealer accessories for my factory order? Based on your past experience, which dealers are willing to charge MSRP plus no add ons? I appreciate your help on this, MSRP is really highest Id like to pay and I simply dont any protection($3000) package.
3. This question sounds silly and not very meaningful I know, but assume I can place my order in next month or so, how long do yall think the wait could be given the huge 2021 Sienna backlog there currently is? 6 months? If anything longer than 3 month, I think I will just get my deposit back and wait little longer for things to return to normal and maybe one day, id be able to buy a Sienna few hundred $ over Invoice again. (McKinney dealer said they expect to sell new Sienna for $1000 over Invoice early next year when things return to normal, idk)
4. Wife wanted this car after seeing it in person during Texas State Fair, we will need Spare Tire, 1500W inverter and Roof Rail and those are the only accessories we want. Is it even feasible if we were to buy a brand new XLE next year off dealer lot and ask dealer to install these options for me if the car doesnt come with those pre-installed?

Frank
I can't say much about your 1 to 3. I am way over on east cost by DC.

For #4:
1). It will be quite an effort to add a spare and make it look like standard factory option, upwards of $1400+ labor. I don't have spare in mine. However, I got a used Rim+Tire+tools for about $200. I carry it with me on out of town trips. The full size spare tire may be worth more peace of mind too.
2). 1500W Inverter has to come as is. No one here has reported adding it after the fact, and it will be quite a challenge based on what I have read so far.
3) Several folks here have aftermarket Roof Rails installed. Check out the various threads about them.

·
Registered
794 Posts
You’re also not technically “ordering” a van. Each dealer is allotted a certain number for delivery each month. You tell them what you want and they try to update their allocation to have that configuration delivered. The factory has basically already decided exactly what colors and options will be built and when. The dealer tries to match that to what you want and “claim” that particular build.

Since allocations are limited, they’ve likely already done this for other customers who got in line before you and now they have no more for you until much later. Some dealers could promise your van in 2 weeks. Others in 8 months. Depends on who you talk to and what their waiting list bs allocated vans looks like. And yes, many people have confirmed deposits and build dates for 2022 models already.

Risky to add roof rails after bc you have to drill into the roof and around air bag / sensors. Inverter runs off the hybrid traction battery and nobody wants to open that up unless absolutely necessary. Very dangerous. Get both installed from factory if you care at all about having them.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I really wanted an XLE with an inverter, spare, and roof rails, but no dealer would "order" it for me because there is no such thing as an actual order and they can only choose from the way Toyota builds Siennas and no Sienna is built that way. At least that's what I was told. I looked in the west, PNW, and mountain regions.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You’re also not technically “ordering” a van. Each dealer is allotted a certain number for delivery each month. You tell them what you want and they try to update their allocation to have that configuration delivered. The factory has basically already decided exactly what colors and options will be built and when. The dealer tries to match that to what you want and “claim” that particular build.

Since allocations are limited, they’ve likely already done this for other customers who got in line before you and now they have no more for you until much later. Some dealers could promise your van in 2 weeks. Others in 8 months. Depends on who you talk to and what their waiting list bs allocated vans looks like. And yes, many people have confirmed deposits and build dates for 2022 models already.

Risky to add roof rails after bc you have to drill into the roof and around air bag / sensors. Inverter runs off the hybrid traction battery and nobody wants to open that up unless absolutely necessary. Very dangerous. Get both installed from factory if you care at all about having them.
How come “many people have confirmed deposits and build dates for 2022 models already”, how did they find the dealers to do it? Toyota accepting orders from certain dealers and not accepting others?!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Which region are you located? I doubt I have any “issue” with dealers, all 14 of them have issues with me?! What are the chances
Have you thought about they have moved people who ordered 2021 Sienna's over to 2022 and just haven't opened up to new orders yet until the backlog is cleared up a bit? I have a confirmed order on a 2022 but I ordered a 2021

·
Registered
31 Posts
Aside from maybe roof rails, these are not going to be easy installs by the dealer. I heard adding a spare tire aftermarket costs like $1000 instead of the $75 or so they charge for it installed.

·
Premium Member
2021 XLE Plus Gray
895 Posts
Hi All,

Frank
The closest you can come to what you want is to order a Woodland. It is an upgraded XLE which comes with the inverter and roof rails. A spare tire can be added as a $75 option. Otherwise, to get the inverter your will have to go to a higher priced model.

·
Registered
2009 Sienna LE FWD & 2021 Sienna LE FWD
144 Posts
as an aside $75 is a steal for a spare tire. I just replaced the rubber on my 2009 spare, it was $88 for that alone plus $20 installation.

before the announcement of 40% cuts to Toyota production, we got our van from Fowwler in Norman for just under MSRP. that was the best we could find in the OKC metro area. At present, they have some on their webpage for MSRP, probably not on the lot but on the way. might be worth a try to email their internet department. when we ordered one they didn't require us to buy the $895 tint and protection package. we did pay the $399 doc fee. with a small discount and including the doc fee we were still under MSRP. good luck!

·
Registered
794 Posts
It helps when you realize this isn't so much about simply adding a spare tire, and is instead more about completely replacing the entire rear drivers side interior panel (all the way from the trunk up to the side of the 3rd row), adding new brackets to the frame, mounting hardware to those brackets, and also swapping out the door on the 12v battery compartment and adding new components on the passenger side cargo area floor. This assumes $1400 in parts and $600 in labor.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna XLE
372 Posts
as an aside $75 is a steal for a spare tire. I just replaced the rubber on my 2009 spare, it was $88 for that alone plus $20 installation.
The reason the spare is so cheap is that the spare option includes the spare, jack, and tools, but it also deletes the inflator and the tire sealant. The difference in interior panels is probably not significant in cost.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

before the announcement of 40% cuts to Toyota production, we got our van from Fowwler in Norman for just under MSRP. that was the best we could find in the OKC metro area. At present, they have some on their webpage for MSRP, probably not on the lot but on the way. might be worth a try to email their internet department. when we ordered one they didn't require us to buy the $895 tint and protection package. we did pay the $399 doc fee. with a small discount and including the doc fee we were still under MSRP. good luck!
Thanks a bunch, i called Fowler up and they are willing to charge "just MSRP" for my order. However, same as other dealers, they said Toyota has not opened up window for factory order. They asked me to put 500 down for a place in line so they can type my order in once system allows, I think I might have to do that or wait another 3-4 months see if things cool down. I have waited 1.5 years for this Sienna whats another 3 months to me.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts