Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's speculate on what changes!

I'm on the fence as to whether or not to buy 2021 or wait for 2022. Here are my guesses for 2022...

Upgrades:
Toyota Sense 2.5 seems likely
Wireless Apple Carplay seems unlikely, but i hope to be surprised

Fixes:
Latches to hold down third row seats

Not going to happen:
Removeable second row seats

·
Registered
Toyota Sienna 2021 AWD Platinum
394 Posts
Don't bring back the Vacuum and the freeze in Platinum and/or Limited! Looks like more people (including me) hate that giant eyesore in middle of the van!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was thinking about posting this exact post this week. After buying my 21 Awd XLE, I wondered if I should have waited for the 22 model. I've not heard anything about the 22 model. Anyone know when they will start to leak out new info?

·
Registered
320 Posts
I was thinking about posting this exact post this week. After buying my 21 Awd XLE, I wondered if I should have waited for the 22 model. I've not heard anything about the 22 model. Anyone know when they will start to leak out new info?
I do not expect much. They could easily have included Toyota Sense 2.5 in the '21 but did not. They may get the message about the 3rd row seats and the fact that many would like a spare tire.

·
Registered
117 Posts
With material and supply issues, updated Safety Sense I can see, but I dont think there will be too much else to change.

·
Registered
Toyota Sienna 2021 AWD Platinum
394 Posts
IIRC, TSS 2.5+ adds a yaw sensor. That brings in the whole supply chain and model specific calibration and testing in the picture.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Still hoping for PHEV. With the restrictions being eased on the number of federal $7500 tax rebates, Toyota should jump on phev production.
Geez, don’t make me think about trading in my 2021 already! I always wanted a PHEV but got sick of waiting. It took long enough for them to just come out with a hybrid.

I suppose changing the NiMH to Lithium might give a bit of PHEV range.

·
Registered
317 Posts
The most likely scenario is that we will not see any changes (other than possibly different color options) until a mid-model refresh. Based on history, that would not be until around 2025.

After the 3rd generation launched with the 2011 model year, the first changes came in 2015 with a refreshed interior. In 2017 they changed the engine/trans combo and in 2018 updated the body styling and active safety features.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna XLE
86 Posts
Still hoping for PHEV. With the restrictions being eased on the number of federal $7500 tax rebates, Toyota should jump on phev production.
PHEV is probably not a possibility if Toyota wants the vehicle to remain in the passenger car class which is under 6000 pounds. The required batteries would add enough weight to move it into the truck category.

·
Registered
104 Posts
PHEV is probably not a possibility if Toyota wants the vehicle to remain in the passenger car class which is under 6000 pounds. The required batteries would add enough weight to move it into the truck category.
I think with changing NiMH to Lithium it might be possible to get a mild PHEV option within the 6000 lbs limit.
Or the US might change the rules with new gov’t, allowing an increase in weight for PHEVs outside the truck category.

Either way, I’d be shocked if if happened within the next couple of years- it took them decades to get hybrid AWD into North American vans even though they had it in Japan for ages on the Esteem.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Typically Q3/Q4 of the yr, so im thinking September/October or so. Then delivery becomes available in December.
I can probably wait until December for a new car, assuming Toyota actually includes safety sense 2.5 in the 2022 Sienna, which I'm less confident about reading some of the posts in this thread.

That said, if they have been able to flip the Highlander from safety sense 2.0 to 2.5 year over year, I don't see why they can't do the same with the Sienna.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I think with changing NiMH to Lithium it might be possible to get a mild PHEV option within the 6000 lbs limit.
Or the US might change the rules with new gov’t, allowing an increase in weight for PHEVs outside the truck category.

Either way, I’d be shocked if if happened within the next couple of years- it took them decades to get hybrid AWD into North American vans even though they had it in Japan for ages on the Esteem.
Toyota owns the NiMH factory.

·
Registered
119 Posts
The highlander and Sienna can both be fitted as phev with its current platform. I hope talks are already underway to bypass the weight restrictions for PHEV cars. I believe that they already lifted the per manufacturer rebate restrictions. Tesla and chevy buyers should be able to get those big $7500 checks again.

·
Registered
320 Posts
The highlander and Sienna can both be fitted as phev with its current platform. I hope talks are already underway to bypass the weight restrictions for PHEV cars. I believe that they already lifted the per manufacturer rebate restrictions. Tesla and chevy buyers should be able to get those big $7500 checks again.
Where can they find space to put the much bigger battery?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Let's speculate on what changes!

I'm on the fence as to whether or not to buy 2021 or wait for 2022. Here are my guesses for 2022...

Upgrades:
Toyota Sense 2.5 seems likely
Wireless Apple Carplay seems unlikely, but i hope to be surprised

Fixes:
Latches to hold down third row seats

Not going to happen:
Removeable second row seats
I would like Rear Seat Entertainment to include intelligent rear view mirror.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Don’t think there will be any changes...with the exception of the Toyota sense 2.5. Probably won’t be any refresh until ‘23.

·
Registered
137 Posts
According to Kirk Kreifels, the refresh Sienna won't come until 2024 so most likely Toyota Sense 2.5 or whatever newer version may not be available until then. Since the 2021 just came out, Toyota may upgrade the system in 2023 MY. The 2022 would be more to fix up bug and what not working well for the 2021 MY I think.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts