Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
101 - 120 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
A little late to the party here but I heard Toyota is changing the AWD system for 2022. They are moving to an electronic AWD meaning the transfer case and differential are being removed and the system will be controlled by a computer. The system uses the rear wheels to drive and the front wheels kick in as needed. This leaves Chrysler with the only true mechanical AWD van in production.

·
Registered
673 Posts
There are no changes to the eAWD on the 2022 vs the 2021. It’s primarily FWD until rear power is needed. It’s not on all the time and the rear motor is only air cooled. There’s no transfer case already / even before the new model year launches.

IINM, you also can’t get hybrid if you get AWD in the Pacifica.

·
Registered
2 Posts
[Edit: as of 9/22 this seems to be corrected.]

The configurator says LE AWD is only available with both spare tire and roof rack if you choose the red color. Why would that be?? Maybe it's a mistake...

·
Registered
2021 Sienna XLE
322 Posts
A little late to the party here but I heard Toyota is changing the AWD system for 2022. They are moving to an electronic AWD meaning the transfer case and differential are being removed and the system will be controlled by a computer. The system uses the rear wheels to drive and the front wheels kick in as needed. This leaves Chrysler with the only true mechanical AWD van in production.
The 2021 (as well as the 2022) is front wheel drive full time. An electric motor in the rear drives the rear wheels only when the computer believes it is needed. In non-slippery conditions, this is at low speeds and when starting from a stop, sharper corners, and uphill grades. When there is slip detected, the power ratio is adjusted as needed by the computer. The rear motor is also used for regenerative braking (in addition to the front motor).

·
Registered
32 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
I think I would rather have the spare tire vs ottomans if push came to shove. Crazy that for 55k you can't have both.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Based on what others are saying, the ottomans only come with no spare on AWD, so this is some reverse pricing indicating that a spare is $125 less than the ottomans, but you can only get those if you opt for the full entertainment package with no spare. Or do FWD.
Gotta tease the AWD+ottoman+spare crowd now for 12 months until the 2023 Sienna's have the sacred trifecta.

I can't believe they found a way to either/or shoppers on this in a new way again. Additionally, you can only get the Ottomans if you pay $1,915 more (for entertainment package)! Serenity now!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Gotta tease the AWD+ottoman+spare crowd now for 12 months until the 2023 Sienna's have the sacred trifecta.

I can't believe they found a way to either/or shoppers on this in a new way again.
Maybe the ottoman and the spare put the car weight above some magic number? All this (rap has to stop, including the eight seat option.

101 - 120 of 126 Posts