Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, we’ve had our 21 Platinum for a week now. We tried the 2 casting things but couldn’t figure them out (Miracast that requires some vague app that is hard to find in the App Store and didn’t work when we did and then DLNA which we couldn’t figure out at all).

Our goal is to stream things like Disney+, Hulu, Amazon Prime, and YouTube TV on the rear entertainment but still be able to run AppleCar Play up front.

So far our only partial success is HDMI. We bought a long 10’ HDMI cord and iPhone adapter. That works, but we found that you have to run Audio up front through Bluetooth to get sound which seems crazy. And of course we have a 10’ cord everywhere inside which feels odd for a $40-50K van...!

Does anyone know how to make this work easier???

Right now if we get Audio to work though Bluetooth in the front, we are of course stuck listening to kids movies the entire trip.

And if we are using the front to run Audio through Bluetooth, we also cant do Nav or CarPlay up front so you can’t do directions or anything upfront at the same time.

When I tried switching to CarPlay in the front in the middle of the movie to see directions (on a separate iPhone), it messed the movie up (playing on the iPhone in the back) and I had to unplug the front phone and reset Audio on Bluetooth to get it working again. What a pain!

So far we’re making due, but we’re not even the least bit impressed. We havent even attempted to figure out the headphones yet....

Any ideas? Maybe we’re just doing something wrong...!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Man, if there was only a universally accepted format that wouldn't cause compatibility issues, hmm, like a DVD or Bluray!

·
Registered
2020 Predawn Mica Gray Limited
43 Posts
Did the van come with headsets? I would think when playing something on the rear entertainment system there is a setting to play on the headsets (so you don’t get stuck listening to kids movies).
This should work even if you are hooked up via HDMI because the HDMI cable can transmit both audio & video simultaneously.

Sorry I can’t be more help, my wife very specifically told me no TVs in the van so we don’t have that system.

Also, Texas911, I haven’t been here that long, but you aren’t much fun to be around, and more importantly, don’t seem to be much of a contributing member (well you contribute a lot of complaints...)

As far as DVD/Blu Ray, many of us don’t have many of them because most of our purchases are digital downloads. Like it or not, that is the reality for us, so more complaints from you here don’t help the OP.

Your constant snide remarks aren’t helpful at all.

Also, please don’t call people “noob”. The last time I heard someone called a “noob” was by an 8 year old on Xbox live. I don’t think you are 8 years old, please act like it

·
Registered
249 Posts
I think the problem could be that you don’t need to pair the iPhone you are using for the HDMI feed with Bluetooth, but you do need to use the headphones for the rear audio. There is no ability to split the audio (for instance just have the feed to the screen play on the back speakers while using the front for the radio). The iPhone connected via Bluetooth is competing against the iPhone connected for CarPlay to control what is playing on the head unit.

The HDMI output on the iPhone adapter also transmits audio, but you need to use headphones to hear it If you want to reserve the front head unit for other functions like navigation.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think the problem could be that you don’t need to pair the iPhone you are using for the HDMI feed with Bluetooth, but you do need to use the headphones for the rear audio. There is no ability to split the audio (for instance just have the feed to the screen play on the back speakers while using the front for the radio). The iPhone connected via Bluetooth is competing against the iPhone connected for CarPlay to control what is playing on the head unit.

The HDMI output on the iPhone adapter also transmits audio, but you need to use headphones to hear it If you want to reserve the front head unit for other functions like navigation.
Thanks, we’ll give this a shot next!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi, we’ve had our 21 Platinum for a week now. We tried the 2 casting things but couldn’t figure them out (Miracast that requires some vague app that is hard to find in the App Store and didn’t work when we did and then DLNA which we couldn’t figure out at all).

Our goal is to stream things like Disney+, Hulu, Amazon Prime, and YouTube TV on the rear entertainment but still be able to run AppleCar Play up front.

So far our only partial success is HDMI. We bought a long 10’ HDMI cord and iPhone adapter. That works, but we found that you have to run Audio up front through Bluetooth to get sound which seems crazy. And of course we have a 10’ cord everywhere inside which feels odd for a $40-50K van...!

Does anyone know how to make this work easier???

Right now if we get Audio to work though Bluetooth in the front, we are of course stuck listening to kids movies the entire trip.

And if we are using the front to run Audio through Bluetooth, we also cant do Nav or CarPlay up front so you can’t do directions or anything upfront at the same time.

When I tried switching to CarPlay in the front in the middle of the movie to see directions (on a separate iPhone), it messed the movie up (playing on the iPhone in the back) and I had to unplug the front phone and reset Audio on Bluetooth to get it working again. What a pain!

So far we’re making due, but we’re not even the least bit impressed. We havent even attempted to figure out the headphones yet....

Any ideas? Maybe we’re just doing something wrong...!
Yea it would be cool if they could "split" the audio inputs to allow for the rear speakers to broadcast the TV sound, and the front speakers could share audio from the front infotainment (carplay/radio/directions). Do any of the other vans do this? Not sure how complicated that would be.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I confirmed the functionality this morning on my 2019 Limited Premium (I am guessing it should be similar on your 2021) using an iPad for the source with an HDMI to Lightning adapter connected. With the rear screen set for HDMI input, it will natively play the sound through the headphones (you do not need to connect the device via Bluetooth). If you want to play the sound through the speakers, there is an option under "Audio" to select the rear entertainment unit as the source. In both cases, you can still leave a second device (your iPhone) connected for CarPlay to continue functioning as expected as an input to the head unit (for instance it will interrupt and call out directions over the cabin speakers, but not interrupt those listening on headsets).

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm planning on using a Chromecast if the built in casting options don't easily work. Not sure if any of you tried this as an option. I'm in Canada so we're still at least a few weeks away from getting the vehicle so I can't test this but it seems like it should solve my needs at least.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts