Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
81 - 100 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, we’ve had our 21 Platinum for a week now. We tried the 2 casting things but couldn’t figure them out (Miracast that requires some vague app that is hard to find in the App Store and didn’t work when we did and then DLNA which we couldn’t figure out at all).

Our goal is to stream things like Disney+, Hulu, Amazon Prime, and YouTube TV on the rear entertainment but still be able to run AppleCar Play up front.

So far our only partial success is HDMI. We bought a long 10’ HDMI cord and iPhone adapter. That works, but we found that you have to run Audio up front through Bluetooth to get sound which seems crazy. And of course we have a 10’ cord everywhere inside which feels odd for a $40-50K van...!

Does anyone know how to make this work easier???

Right now if we get Audio to work though Bluetooth in the front, we are of course stuck listening to kids movies the entire trip.

And if we are using the front to run Audio through Bluetooth, we also cant do Nav or CarPlay up front so you can’t do directions or anything upfront at the same time.

When I tried switching to CarPlay in the front in the middle of the movie to see directions (on a separate iPhone), it messed the movie up (playing on the iPhone in the back) and I had to unplug the front phone and reset Audio on Bluetooth to get it working again. What a pain!

So far we’re making due, but we’re not even the least bit impressed. We havent even attempted to figure out the headphones yet....

Any ideas? Maybe we’re just doing something wrong...!
Plug in Roku stick. Works seamlessly

·
Registered
251 Posts
For apple phones -> direct cable or Apple TV as host, use phone as hotspot - works great.
For android phones -> forget Miracast, use Chromecast - use phone as hotspot - works great.

No cables except that you use to connect to the HDMI port. Bypass the Miracast + AT&T wifi, it is very slow or expensive.
BTW, the screen is 720p so you must configure your source to output that over HDMI. Any other will give a blank screen.
It isn't 1080p like all Toyota literature says it is.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna Limited AWD
156 Posts
Just an aside about ATT WiFi: it’s working very well. Caviat is we’re in a major metro area, and ATT 4G (the signal they use to provide the WiFi in car) is prevalent, so the speed is great. Kiddo is streaming Netflix on Roku all the time and there have been no issues. It’s spendy though, $20/mo is nothing to sneeze at.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna XSE AWD Technology
97 Posts
Here's the Roku playing a local media file on the entertainment system:

View attachment 48726

And here's one option for how to arrange it (using one of the small thumb drives meant to barely protrude from the USB port):

View attachment 48727
Since you had this setup for a while now (Roku Ultra), just checking-in to see how it’s working for you thus far? Any additional pros or cons, and would you go with another solution or product?

Planning to get the Roku Ultra... it’s about 200$ in Canada, and like it for the same reasons you already mentioned.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Since you had this setup for a while now (Roku Ultra), just checking-in to see how it’s working for you thus far? Any additional pros or cons, and would you go with another solution or product?

Planning to get the Roku Ultra... it’s about 200$ in Canada, and like it for the same reasons you already mentioned.

seemless. No problems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just to throw out another option related to my post elswhere about the excellent Roku player. If you don't have unlimited wifi hotspot or for whatever reason prefer not to rely on an internet connection the Roku Ultra player (normally $99 but frequently available for $70 to $80) has a USB port in the side. One of the apps on the Roku is a media player.

So you can load all your content (including DVDs!) onto a thumb drive and play them from a Roku. The remote even includes a wired headphone jack if you want to use your own headphones.
Ok, dumb question...how do you load DVDs to a thumb drive? My kids have a huge collection and we went out and bought my a mini DVD player and hooked it up but we have to cycle a few times each time for the picture to show up on the screen.
This whole thing shouldn’t be this hard to figure out, right? 🤦🏼‍♀️

·
Registered
314 Posts
Ok, dumb question...how do you load DVDs to a thumb drive? My kids have a huge collection and we went out and bought my a mini DVD player and hooked it up but we have to cycle a few times each time for the picture to show up on the screen.
This whole thing shouldn’t be this hard to figure out, right? 🤦🏼‍♀️
Not a dumb question but a sticky one. There is variation by region on whether or not ripping a DVD you own into a video file constitutes fair use or not. Depending on where you live and what operating system you use though there are a lot of resources online that describe the process. Since everything we're watching in the car is streaming now it hasn't been an issue for us but I mentioned it because I know it is technically possible. Texas911 mentioned one program in his post that appears to do this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not a dumb question but a sticky one. There is variation by region on whether or not ripping a DVD you own into a video file constitutes fair use or not. Depending on where you live and what operating system you use though there are a lot of resources online that describe the process. Since everything we're watching in the car is streaming now it hasn't been an issue for us but I mentioned it because I know it is technically possible. Texas911 mentioned one program in his post that appears to do this.
This entertainment system has me feeling all sorts of old school and just old. I just want a DVD to stick in the slot and it plays. 😂

·
Registered
177 Posts
So after playing around with miracast/smart view/ DLN (whatever it is called), none of which are that great even with S21 Ultra or any compatible phones so I ended up utilizing the HDMI port. This is actually the best option IMO. I used the old (not sure what generation) Chromecast that I already have and bought the two items below for a pretty cheap price on Amazon, plugged in, and able to get things working right away (using my own unlimited hotspot). The bonus is no extra long wires! I'm planning to buy a magnetic stick-on plate so I can mount the Chromecast to right on the wall above the outlet instead of having it hanging lose a bit.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AHQQGUE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0828WB2VR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Of course, the streaming device can be anything that fits into that space of the HDMI port, but this device is plenty good for me.

Depending on how much data usage, I'll consider doing the yearly Toyota ATT WIFI unlimited hotspot for $200 (not a bad deal at all!).

·
Registered
06 Highlander Limited AWD/ Retired 09 Sienna XLE FWD / 12 Highlander SE FWD / 21 Sienna Limited AWD
124 Posts
Exactly, but no Disney “Fast Play”. About 15 mins of garbage before playing my kids video.

This entertainment system has me feeling all sorts of old school and just old. I just want a DVD to stick in the slot and it plays. 😂

·
Registered
4 Posts
Exactly, but no Disney “Fast Play”. About 15 mins of garbage before playing my kids video.
We went with this player and ran the cord under the console to plug into the HDMI port and it’s powered by the USB in the well. It is mounted on Velcro inside well. Aside from having to power cycle the DVD player every time we turn on the rear entertainment to get the picture to show, its working fairly well. Still annoys me that the entertainment system in a $50k vehicle is this big of a pain in the a$$.
This is the best option for us as we have a large DVD collection and not a ton of digital movies.
Automotive design Vehicle Hood Automotive exterior Vehicle door

·
Registered
97 Posts

Finished setting up a Roku Ultra in my Sienna. As stated by others, it works flawlessly. USB flash drive stores movies/songs/pictures for offline mode use, and I leverage my phone hotspot for any apps (Netflix, Youtube etc) that require internet. Also Roku works great with Apple devices when using wireless Airplay and screen mirroring. Thank you to those who shared this - very helpful and much appreciated!!

Here are a few pictures of my install. I used a short (6 inch) HDMI cable, and mounted the Roku device between the centre console and passenger seat (used 2 way Velcro tape) to hide the device. Everything was purchased from Amazon.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna Limited FWD
123 Posts
Finished setting up a Roku Ultra in my Sienna. As stated by others, it works flawlessly. USB flash drive stores movies/songs/pictures for offline mode use, and I leverage my phone hotspot for any apps (Netflix, Youtube etc) that require internet. Also Roku works great with Apple devices when using wireless Airplay and screen mirroring. Thank you to those who shared this - very helpful and much appreciated!!

Here are a few pictures of my install. I used a short (6 inch) HDMI cable, and mounted the Roku device between the centre console and passenger seat (used 2 way Velcro tape) to hide the device. Everything was purchased from Amazon.

View attachment 49851

View attachment 49852

View attachment 49853
Could you just use in car wifi instead of phone hotspot?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Could you just use in car wifi instead of phone hotspot?
I remember reading somewhere, and for some unknown reason, Canadian Siennas don’t have in-car WiFi. Maybe there is a workaround I’m not aware of?

Phone hotspot works well, as I have unlimited data. That said, I have lots of content on the USB flash drive and hoping this will be how the kids use the RES the most.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna Limited FWD
123 Posts
I remember reading somewhere, and for some unknown reason, Canadian Siennas don’t have in-car WiFi. Maybe there is a workaround I’m not aware of?

Phone hotspot works well, as I have unlimited data. That said, I have lots of content on the USB flash drive and hoping this will be how the kids use the RES the most.
Ah, that must be it. I did not know about Canada not having wifi built in.

·
Registered
243 Posts

View attachment 49851

View attachment 49852

View attachment 49853
Nice install - does the Roku by chance run on 12V (since it has a power adaptor), you might be able to free up the 110V and hardwire the Roku power?

81 - 100 of 133 Posts