Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
101 - 120 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Nice install - does the Roku by chance run on 12V (since it has a power adaptor), you might be able to free up the 110V and hardwire the Roku power?
The smaller "stick" style Rokus operate off a microUSB cable so you could power them from the USB port in the console or elsewhere. I tend to use the Roku Ultra everywhere because of the added processor power and memory but if USB power were desirable then the less-expensive stick models would do well.

Great looking install @GTA_Toyota!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have used Amazon Fire Stick and it works great. I have added an addon that also gives an ability to mirror your Apple phone as well as Android. The remote of the car works with a fire tv stick automatically I don't know-how. I will post some pics too later if someone wants to experiment. I am also planning to get an ATT hotspot whenever needed to go on long trips.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna Limited FWD
123 Posts
I have used Amazon Fire Stick and it works great. I have added an addon that also gives an ability to mirror your Apple phone as well as Android. The remote of the car works with a fire tv stick automatically I don't know-how. I will post some pics too later if someone wants to experiment. I am also planning to get an ATT hotspot whenever needed to go on long trips.
The unlimited data is $25/month, the year price is $200 or 16.77/month. Just an FYI. I might do the yearly price just because I’ll use it more often than not.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna XSE AWD Technology
97 Posts
The smaller "stick" style Rokus operate off a microUSB cable so you could power them from the USB port in the console or elsewhere. I tend to use the Roku Ultra everywhere because of the added processor power and memory but if USB power were desirable then the less-expensive stick models would do well.

Great looking install @GTA_Toyota!!
Thanks @jbsjbs! You did an awesome post on the Roku Ultra (in fact, I purchased it because of your recommendation, and no regrets!). It's the best solution for my requirements. Cheers man.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna Ltd
11 Posts
The internet speed test seems to be twice as fast on the att hotspot vs the in car WiFi. May not matter much for just 1 user streaming standard hd stuff. The in car WiFi tho is a much cleaner solution as in one less discrete device to plug in. They used to run a special for $15 which may tempt me

·
Registered
6 Posts
So does the fire stick work? Or do I need additional pieces to make it work?
Also, does anyone else think it’s insane to pay over 50,000 for a van and have to go through all this to make the entertainment system work?? We waited on a van with the Entertainment and my dealer never even said it didn’t have a DVD player!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
What add on did you use?

·
Registered
Toyota Sienna 2021 AWD Platinum
789 Posts
So does the fire stick work? Or do I need additional pieces to make it work?
Also, does anyone else think it’s insane to pay over 50,000 for a van and have to go through all this to make the entertainment system work?? We waited on a van with the Entertainment and my dealer never even said it didn’t have a DVD player!!
All HDMI based sticks work as is. Setups may be different based on which Hotspot is being used.

Apple takes some additional efforts as it doesn't easily cast to non-apple devices like it does on Apple TV or HDMI dongle. We have a TV Cast App on my wife's apple phone that let's us stream some websites livestreams to Chromecast. I am not an Apple person so I let my wife mess with it all. For few times I may be asked help out, I just got ourselves the HDMI adopter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is what I am using. It can mirror or share both iOS and Android.

All HDMI based sticks work as is. Setups may be different based on which Hotspot is being used.

Apple takes some additional efforts as it doesn't easily cast to non-apple devices like it does on Apple TV or HDMI dongle. We have a TV Cast App on my wife's apple phone that let's us stream some websites livestreams to Chromecast. I am not an Apple person so I let my wife mess with it all. For few times I may be asked help out, I just got ourselves the HDMI adopter.
Thank you!

·
Registered
10 Posts
We got our 21 Sienna Platinum last month and just started trying to figure out how to use the RES as my husband and 3 year old are gonna take it for a road trip next week, which is the only time we plan on using it. We can't even get the remote to work... Tried replacing batteries and everything. I'll have to talk to the local dealership about that. But anyway, I just read through this thread and it's definitely making me pretty nervous and confused about the set up.

My husband has a Google Pixel 5 for his personal phone and an iPhone 11 for his work phone. He's planning on hooking up his iPhone using an hdmi cable and Apple's adapter for the rear entertainment, then ideally he wants to use his Pixel for up front for his own music/Android Auto. Sounds like that should work fine but only if we use the wireless headphones?

My concern with the headphones is that my son is 3 and his seat is in the 3rd row right next to the volume control and i don't really trust him with the headphones (that he may or may not keep on) and the volume control. What are our options with these concerns in mind? Is it possible to connect a wireless speaker to the RES (instead of the headphones?)

·
Registered
2021 Sienna Limited FWD
123 Posts
We got our 21 Sienna Platinum last month and just started trying to figure out how to use the RES as my husband and 3 year old are gonna take it for a road trip next week, which is the only time we plan on using it. We can't even get the remote to work... Tried replacing batteries and everything. I'll have to talk to the local dealership about that. But anyway, I just read through this thread and it's definitely making me pretty nervous and confused about the set up.

My husband has a Google Pixel 5 for his personal phone and an iPhone 11 for his work phone. He's planning on hooking up his iPhone using an hdmi cable and Apple's adapter for the rear entertainment, then ideally he wants to use his Pixel for up front for his own music/Android Auto. Sounds like that should work fine but only if we use the wireless headphones?

My concern with the headphones is that my son is 3 and his seat is in the 3rd row right next to the volume control and i don't really trust him with the headphones (that he may or may not keep on) and the volume control. What are our options with these concerns in mind? Is it possible to connect a wireless speaker to the RES (instead of the headphones?)
Is audio the same for both headphones if you turn one side up? There’s two volume controls, I assume you can give him the other side and he can’t reach that one. Sounds like the setup with the pixel and iPhone will work, you can have audio play through the speakers of the car or you can use actual audio Jack for headphones

·
Registered
6 Posts
Honestly, I am a loyal Toyota customer, but this entertainment system is a huge disappointment. We waited on a van just get this system and it’s a huge racket to use.

Why did we even get charged for it? We could have just as easily hooked up IPads. I feel like we should be compensated somehow. Not happy at all.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bought our 21 XLE with entertainment system since April. Was surprised that it doesn't come with a disk player (wife has been bashing me with it ever since) Our township library offer free kids cartoon DVD rental (Daniel Tiger etc.) We bought an external slim DVD player from Amazon so we can still enjoy those DVD, but I agree it is not a ideal solution for a 45K car. Since we are in apple eco system, I was thinking putting an Apple TV (Gen 3) in the car and use airplay mode to stream contents from our iPhone via mobile hotspot. Has anyone try that route? Thanks

·
Registered
349 Posts
We installed a Roku Ultra and signed up for the unlimited data in car WiFi plan. A little pricey additional startup cost, but it works so incredibly well.

We also bought a small speaker and connected it via aux cable to the rear audio jack. It fits snugly and safely in the cup holder on my son’s seat, so he and anyone else in the back can listen without it monopolizing the audio up front.

May not be a good solution for everyone, but it works well and reliably for us.

·
Registered
Toyota Sienna 2021 AWD Platinum
789 Posts

Are you ok with Wired headphones for your son? If so, you can get "kid friendly sound-limiting headphones" for him.

I am sure you can get wireless headphones with a base transmitter that goes in to 3.5mm plug. Let me see if I can look up one of these too. I see plenty of advertises for these on TV channels serving baby boomers ( I do like me old shows like MASH, Three's company or Magnum P.I. etc. ;) ). These advertisers talk about LOUD volume, but I am sure someone makes them for kids too.

Also, you can buy powered speakers that plug in to the headphones slot (3.5mm). They can be powered via the USB, or have enough batteries to last long enough.

Good luck, and hope all of you have a great trip!

Btw, I am not an apple person, but may be you can re-direct Audio output to a wireless volume-limiting headphone via Bluetooth while the video goes to RES via HDMI? I do have an apple HDMI adopter for my wife's phone so may be I will give it a a try and report back here.

p.s. You can get all of these at local Walmart/BestBuy etc. too if you want these in hurry. They are very generic products.

Edit :
3.5mm to Bluetooh Transmitter:

The product in link above plugs in to the 3.5mm Plug in the 3rd row and broadcasts sound to Bluetooth. You can pair it with volume limiting kids friendly headphones like ones below. The product description for above is confusing. However, in TX mode, it takes input thru the 3.5mm Plug and broadcasts it out on Bluetooth. Instead of Bluetooth headphones, you can use a Bluetooth speaker too. The product in link above lets you connect two Wireless Bluetooth Headphones at once.

Bluetooth Volume Limiting headphones.

Another p.s. : I just randomly looked up product categories. I hope you will find a specific product that might work for you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Are you ok with Wired headphones for your son? If so, you can get "kid friendly sound-limiting headphones" for him.

I am sure you can get wireless headphones with a base transmitter that goes in to 3.5mm plug. Let me see if I can look up one of these too. I see plenty of advertises for these on TV channels serving baby boomers ( I do like me old shows like MASH, Three's company or Magnum P.I. etc. ;) ). These advertisers talk about LOUD volume, but I am sure someone makes them for kids too.

Also, you can buy powered speakers that plug in to the headphones slot (3.5mm). They can be powered via the USB, or have enough batteries to last long enough.

Good luck, and hope all of you have a great trip!

Btw, I am not an apple person, but may be you can re-direct Audio output to a wireless volume-limiting headphone via Bluetooth while the video goes to RES via HDMI? I do have an apple HDMI adopter for my wife's phone so may be I will give it a a try and report back here.

p.s. You can get all of these at local Walmart/BestBuy etc. too if you want these in hurry. They are very generic products.

Edit :
3.5mm to Bluetooh Transmitter:

The product in link above plugs in to the 3.5mm Plug in the 3rd row and broadcasts sound to Bluetooth. You can pair it with volume limiting kids friendly headphones like ones below. The product description for above is confusing. However, in TX mode, it takes input thru the 3.5mm Plug and broadcasts it out on Bluetooth. Instead of Bluetooth headphones, you can use a Bluetooth speaker too. The product in link above lets you connect two Wireless Bluetooth Headphones at once.

Bluetooth Volume Limiting headphones.

Another p.s. : I just randomly looked up product categories. I hope you will find a specific product that might work for you.
Thanks for this detailed reply!! We do have a Bluetooth speaker that would fit nicely in one of the cupholders. I'll look into that first!

101 - 120 of 133 Posts