Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
121 - 133 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
Toyota Sienna 2021 AWD Platinum
789 Posts
Thanks for this detailed reply!! We do have a Bluetooth speaker that would fit nicely in one of the cupholders. I'll look into that first!
Yw!

Btw, do you mean you have a Bluetooth speaker that also has a 3.5mm input? If so, you're set already!

Otherwise, if you want to go the external speakers route, a 3.5MM Wired Powered Speaker might be the most convenient and trouble free option. They are very cheap too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yw!

Btw, do you mean you have a Bluetooth speaker that also has a 3.5mm input? If so, you're set already!

Otherwise, if you want to go the external speakers route, a 3.5MM Wired Powered Speaker might be the most convenient and trouble free option. They are very cheap too.

I got an aux cable and it worked with our bluetooth speaker that also has a 3.5mm input luckily. But then my husband says he wants my son to sit in the 2nd row (his siblings are usually in the 2nd row but they aren't going on this trip) AND he wants to give him the ability to use headphones. Well i tried the wireless headphones and i couldn't get them to work. The red light comes on but couldn't figure out how to get any sound. Not sure if it's me or the headphones but i saw on here that someone had a remote and wireless headphones not working. My husband leaves tomorrow and I'm trying to figure this out for him. But the bigger issue is the hdcp error I'm getting with the hdmi cable when trying to play downloaded content. I tried our 3 different ones and i bought a new supposedly premium one, and no luck. Articles are saying i need a splitter that is hdcp compliant? But i can't find anywhere to buy a splitter locally since we need it tomorrow afternoon. We can connect to the car's wifi and stream it fine, but is that going to work when he drives through areas that don't have mobile data connection? I think there's a pretty good stretch or 2 along that drive where we usually lose data, but i don't totally remember.

Any other options I'm missing??

·
Registered
776 Posts
I don't know the specific answers to your questions, but FYI on the HDMI info starting here on slide 164: https://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/omnav-s/OM08033U/pdf/OM08033U.pdf

On the headphones... I wonder if you've turned up the volume nob at the headphone jack? Even though yours are wireless, that local control on the side of the van may be an override to system sound and could result in nothing if turned all the way down (/speculation).

Also, make sure you've removed the plastic protection film from the IR receiver area on the device (where the headphones get their signal from). Sound silly, but could cause stuff like this to happen. Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don't know the specific answers to your questions, but FYI on the HDMI info starting here on slide 164: https://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/omnav-s/OM08033U/pdf/OM08033U.pdf

On the headphones... I wonder if you've turned up the volume nob at the headphone jack? Even though yours are wireless, that local control on the side of the van may be an override to system sound and could result in nothing if turned all the way down (/speculation).

Also, make sure you've removed the plastic protection film from the IR receiver area on the device (where the headphones get their signal from). Sound silly, but could cause stuff like this to happen. Good luck.
Found the answer on another thread. The screen is most likely solid not letting the infrared signal come through and we need a new screen. 🙄

·
Registered
789 Posts
I got an aux cable and it worked with our bluetooth speaker that also has a 3.5mm input luckily. But then my husband says he wants my son to sit in the 2nd row (his siblings are usually in the 2nd row but they aren't going on this trip) AND he wants to give him the ability to use headphones. Well i tried the wireless headphones and i couldn't get them to work. The red light comes on but couldn't figure out how to get any sound. Not sure if it's me or the headphones but i saw on here that someone had a remote and wireless headphones not working. My husband leaves tomorrow and I'm trying to figure this out for him. But the bigger issue is the hdcp error I'm getting with the hdmi cable when trying to play downloaded content. I tried our 3 different ones and i bought a new supposedly premium one, and no luck. Articles are saying i need a splitter that is hdcp compliant? But i can't find anywhere to buy a splitter locally since we need it tomorrow afternoon. We can connect to the car's wifi and stream it fine, but is that going to work when he drives through areas that don't have mobile data connection? I think there's a pretty good stretch or 2 along that drive where we usually lose data, but i don't totally remember.

Since you don't have a lot of time, I say get a cheapy Android phone from Bestbuy or Walmart etc. if there is any nearby. Many decent Samsung or others go for about a 100 - 150 bucks. Use it like a tablet with Hotspot from other phones. Or just get an Android tablet. They are a little bigger but can serve two purposes. Just double check their storage capacity. If they can take external MicroSD card, that would be even more convenient.

Also, see if anyone you know has old Androids laying around. I have 3 that I need to donate or recycle.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Found the answer on another thread. The screen is most likely solid not letting the infrared signal come through and we need a new screen. 🙄
Went to the dealership yesterday and they called their Toyota help line basically and found out that there is a bezel/cover that has to be just the right tint or else the remote and wireless headphones it comes with won't work. Basically confirming what was said on a different thread, so seems like it could be a somewhat common issue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Since you don't have a lot of time, I say get a cheapy Android phone from Bestbuy or Walmart etc. if there is any nearby. Many decent Samsung or others go for about a 100 - 150 bucks. Use it like a tablet with Hotspot from other phones. Or just get an Android tablet. They are a little bigger but can serve two purposes. Just double check their storage capacity. If they can take external MicroSD card, that would be even more convenient.

Also, see if anyone you know has old Androids laying around. I have 3 that I need to donate or recycle.
I may be misunderstanding, but we were looking for a way that wouldn't require data for when he drives through areas with no data. From my understanding that would require playing downloaded content through an HDMI cable, except that runs you into HDCP issues. Some stickers I found said you need a premium quality HDMI cable, while other articles said you needed a certain kind of splitter. Tried a premium HDMI cable and no luck. I'll probably try a splitter next. Or maybe we'll go with the portable DVD method that i think was mentioned earlier on in this thread as that seems pretty fool proof.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I may be misunderstanding, but we were looking for a way that wouldn't require data for when he drives through areas with no data. From my understanding that would require playing downloaded content through an HDMI cable, except that runs you into HDCP issues. Some stickers I found said you need a premium quality HDMI cable, while other articles said you needed a certain kind of splitter. Tried a premium HDMI cable and no luck. I'll probably try a splitter next. Or maybe we'll go with the portable DVD method that i think was mentioned earlier on in this thread as that seems pretty fool proof.
No worries. We are on the same page. Sorry I wasn't very clear earlier.

Generally speaking, it is very super easy to cast directly to Sienna RES using an Android device. Worst case scenario, you can get a Chromecast HDMI dangle for 25 bucks and mirror your screen to Toyota RES thru it. Both of these options work on downloaded content, or live streaming. I cast directly to RES often, without Chromecast.

Btw, what app/streaming service have you downloaded from? Unless it is some apple specific severely restricted app, it will most likely work on Android.

Another worst case scenario option is that a lot of samsung phones come with Desktop App called Dex. You can buy cheap 15 bucks adopters to directly hook up to HDMI.

Overall, Android makes it a lot easier to cast with wires or wireless, live or downloaded. I was suggesting earlier to get a cheapy phone/tablet to try it out in hurry.

·
Registered
10 Posts
No worries. We are on the same page. Sorry I wasn't very clear earlier.

Generally speaking, it is very super easy to cast directly to Sienna RES using an Android device. Worst case scenario, you can get a Chromecast HDMI dangle for 25 bucks and mirror your screen to Toyota RES thru it. Both of these options work on downloaded content, or live streaming. I cast directly to RES often, without Chromecast.

Btw, what app/streaming service have you downloaded from? Unless it is some apple specific severely restricted app, it will most likely work on Android.

Another worst case scenario option is that a lot of samsung phones come with Desktop App called Dex. You can buy cheap 15 bucks adopters to directly hook up to HDMI.

Overall, Android makes it a lot easier to cast with wires or wireless, live or downloaded. I was suggesting earlier to get a cheapy phone/tablet to try it out in hurry.
We have the Pixel 5 and tried mirroring thru the hdmi cable and couldn't get it to connect. But it was my husband who tried doing it, I might have to play around with it.

We had the hdcp error with the iPhone using Disney+ and i think it was either Netflix or Amazon Prime. I can't remember which one my husband had downloaded content on.

·
Registered
789 Posts
We have the Pixel 5 and tried mirroring thru the hdmi cable and couldn't get it to connect. But it was my husband who tried doing it, I might have to play around with it.

We had the hdcp error with the iPhone using Disney+ and i think it was either Netflix or Amazon Prime. I can't remember which one my husband had downloaded content on.

Aha.. I did make an incorrect assumption that you were having problems only with Apple. My bad :(

We don't have Amazon Prime or Disney but do have Netflix. I am able to wirelessly cast downloaded content in Netflix to Toyota via Miracast. I have samsung Note 10. Samsung calls its version of Miracast SmartView. When I did this, I made sure I had no Mobile Data on my phone.

I was also able to cast Netflix downloads to our TVs (2013 Panasonic Plasma, 2016 LG Plasma), FIOS set-top boxs, and also Chromecast.

I say try Chromecast next for next trip if nothing else works. They are all Google products so I think it should work.

·
Registered
314 Posts
As one of the Roku enthusiasts early on in this thread (I have them on every TV in my house and have bought hundreds of them for my work) with regards to the audio I'll also point out that many if not all of the current Roku remotes feature a headphone jack on the side. It's a very clever design -- basically when it detects a headphone plug it tells the Roku to stop sending audio over the HDMI, effectively muting the television even though the TV volume number is still at the same level was before. The Roku then sends all the audio instead to the remote to play through headphones (or whatever you've plugged into the remote's headphone jack.

I use it when watching the Roku on exercise equipment like rowers or ellipticals that would otherwise drown out the audio. Works great. I'd recommend investing in Eneloop rechargeable batteries for the remote since it will go through batteries faster when you're using it as an audio streamer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have used Amazon Fire Stick and it works great. I have added an addon that also gives an ability to mirror your Apple phone as well as Android. The remote of the car works with a fire tv stick automatically I don't know-how. I will post some pics too later if someone wants to experiment. I am also planning to get an ATT hotspot whenever needed to go on long trips.
Which Fire stick did you use? Just bought and attached it and it isn’t turning on at all.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Glad you found a solution! I’m curious: when I was playing around with DLNA settings the RES appears to have its own wifi network. Could you use this network instead of your hotspot? If you have movies downloaded you don’t need internet just a network for communicating between your device and the Roku. Would solve your data problems.
Omg thank you thank you thank you for mentioning the power button for the AC 120V!!!! I have been going crazy trying to get the fire stick to work in my new 2022 Sienna. In my last Sienna and my other vehicle the power outlets continuously work so i never thought there would be a button! Finally it’s working

121 - 133 of 133 Posts