Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure all you other rideshare guys have changed your tires already too, the factory Firestone Ft140s made it to the 40k service and I was informed they wouldn't be rotated because of 3/32nd tread on front, and "unrepairable" puncture in rear. :rolleyes: Plug kit ordered from Amazon and is on the way. Should keep one around anyway since Toyota couldn't have been bothered to install a spare. Once fixed, I'll rotate them myself to get me through the holidays (half of which will be spent in South America), and then I'll need tires. The dealer quoted $915.50 for a new set, not including alignment. That seems really high, since Tirerack sells the set for $641.64 with free road hazard.

What have y'all gone with and what did you pay? I do like the Firestones. Even worn, they're quiet and plenty grippy enough in the wet. But the FT140 has no treadwear warranty, and I've never had luck with Firestone tires. I've been stranded on the side of the road with flats on 3 occasions, and all 3 were with Firestone tires on various vehicles. Meanwhile other brands always make it home, no matter what. I don't know if it's how they're made, but Firestones just seem to not hold up. Without a spare, I'm cautious of that brand.

The dealer also quoted me on 3 other tires, all including tax and road hazard but not alignment:
Falken Ziex ZE001 (OE for some Siennas) $814.99 no treadwear warranty
Yokohama Bluearth 4S S34TZ (OE on some Siennas) $1129.63 no treadwear warranty
Goodyear Assurance maxlife (alternative replacement) $1099.04 85k mile treadwear warranty

I am by no means committed to getting service at the dealer, nor am I committed to any of these 4 tires. Just trying to pick your collective brains and figure out what's the best value for dollar spent. I don't want noisy tires that'll drive me crazy, or that slip and slide in bad weather. I'm not trying to spend a fortune either, but am willing to spend money for quality without compromise. If that means a Michelin or Continental of some description, so be it. But if I can get 90-95% of the performance of those for 60% of the cost, that's where I'm going to put my hard earned dollars.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm sure all you other rideshare guys have changed your tires already too, the factory Firestone Ft140s made it to the 40k service and I was informed they wouldn't be rotated because of 3/32nd tread on front, and "unrepairable" puncture in rear. :rolleyes: Plug kit ordered from Amazon and is on the way. Should keep one around anyway since Toyota couldn't have been bothered to install a spare. Once fixed, I'll rotate them myself to get me through the holidays (half of which will be spent in South America), and then I'll need tires. The dealer quoted $915.50 for a new set, not including alignment. That seems really high, since Tirerack sells the set for $641.64 with free road hazard.

What have y'all gone with and what did you pay? I do like the Firestones. Even worn, they're quiet and plenty grippy enough in the wet. But the FT140 has no treadwear warranty, and I've never had luck with Firestone tires. I've been stranded on the side of the road with flats on 3 occasions, and all 3 were with Firestone tires on various vehicles. Meanwhile other brands always make it home, no matter what. I don't know if it's how they're made, but Firestones just seem to not hold up. Without a spare, I'm cautious of that brand.

The dealer also quoted me on 3 other tires, all including tax and road hazard but not alignment:
Falken Ziex ZE001 (OE for some Siennas) $814.99 no treadwear warranty
Yokohama Bluearth 4S S34TZ (OE on some Siennas) $1129.63 no treadwear warranty
Goodyear Assurance maxlife (alternative replacement) $1099.04 85k mile treadwear warranty

I am by no means committed to getting service at the dealer, nor am I committed to any of these 4 tires. Just trying to pick your collective brains and figure out what's the best value for dollar spent. I don't want noisy tires that'll drive me crazy, or that slip and slide in bad weather. I'm not trying to spend a fortune either, but am willing to spend money for quality without compromise. If that means a Michelin or Continental of some description, so be it. But if I can get 90-95% of the performance of those for 60% of the cost, that's where I'm going to put my hard earned dollars.
Lol, Firestone is a Bridgestone tire. They don’t make their own tires, they never have.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Go to Tirerack.com and check their reviews and survey ratings. I found them to be extremely helpful when selecting tires and it is the best resource I have found.

These are the highest rated:

Michelin Cross Climate

I have also had great luck with General Altimax and would likely go with those when I need tires.
I had the Altimax on my last (2010) Sienna. They performed well overall, but I noticed a drop in fuel economy. Didn't matter in a vehicle that got 17mpg on it's best day, but it will likely make a more significant difference on the new hybrid Sienna.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Consider the Michelin defenders. They are a popular tire thwt do well in rain and snow but not too much tread to make them insanely fuel inefficient. They are not cheap and will come close to $900 for all four. Costco is doing $150 off of a set of four tires but Walmart has them for similar price.
I choose to get my wheels done at Costco because service and rotation are free afterwards. Worth it to always have a tire center nearby. They don’t do alignments. Alignments are expensive and not needed as often as you would think. Otherwise I would go to les Schwab for their service.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I take back what I just said. I looked into the Cross climate2's more. I live in the PNW. I think I would like more rain/snow worthy tires at the sacrifice of mileage. They also look like they create less of a hit to your MPG.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, the Defender2 seems to have not improved over the previous iteration. CC2 is a possibility. I like the performance, but I don't like the price. Treadlife warranty is significantly less than others.

I have the Sumitomo HTR A/S PO3 on my 2012 Volvo XC60, after having 2 sets of the previous version, the P02. The P02s were great tires at a knockdown price, but the trend hasn't continued with the P03 and I don't think I'll get them again for that car, or for this one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts