Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,
I just bought a 2013 Toyota Sienna Limited AWD from the dealer today. The whole family was so excited. We have three kids. So, this evening, we removed the driver's side second row seat for Finley, our 90 pound golden retrieve, and a large cooler that rides right behind the driver for our long trips (ever summer we drive 25 hours to Canada to visit grandparents). We were shocked. This huge, ugly track/trolley thingy was in the way of everything. I thought, oh, well I am sure pushing one of these gadgets will make it pop out. Nothing....it was not coming out. So, I started looking around on the internet to figure out how to get it out when I found this forum. Right now, we are just sick. In our old van, the 2nd row, driver side seat just popped out and we had a flat surface. We spent all of this money and our needs will not be met. The wonderful instructions are great how to get the tracks out, however once a week or more, I actually need to have the seat in the van to pick up our kids and a friend or two for carpool. I need the seat out for our dog, who goes everywhere with me, and for coolers. I can't imagine going through this whole process to get the tracks out every time or to put them back in the car. I told our sales rep. how we need to configure the car and the fact that the seat would be going in and out of the car at all times. Stupid me, I should have taken the seat out before I siiongned the dotted line. I am kicking myself. I called our rep. and when I tried to explain the problem, he had no clue about the track/trolley. Don't know what we are going to do.
After reading how to take the tracks out, it appears that the ones behind he driver will be the easiest?? Track 1 and 2, correct? Those are the two that are behind the driver, right? Would they be easy to put back in for days that I need that seat?? What a hassle this will be. I just can't believe it.
I appreciate all of your instructions, but just wish there was an easy fix???
Thank you,
Paige
I am not sure how to work this forum, so I hope I will see your responses. You can email me at [email protected]

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,
I just bought a 2013 Toyota Sienna Limited AWD from the dealer today. The whole family was so excited. We have three kids. So, this evening, we removed the driver's side second row seat for Finley, our 90 pound golden retrieve, and a large cooler that rides right behind the driver for our long trips (ever summer we drive 25 hours to Canada to visit grandparents). We were shocked. This huge, ugly track/trolley thingy was in the way of everything. I thought, oh, well I am sure pushing one of these gadgets will make it pop out. Nothing....it was not coming out. So, I started looking around on the internet to figure out how to get it out when I found this forum. Right now, we are just sick. In our old van, the 2nd row, driver side seat just popped out and we had a flat surface. We spent all of this money and our needs will not be met. The wonderful instructions are great how to get the tracks out, however once a week or more, I actually need to have the seat in the van to pick up our kids and a friend or two for carpool. I need the seat out for our dog, who goes everywhere with me, and for coolers. I can't imagine going through this whole process to get the tracks out every time or to put them back in the car. I told our sales rep. how we need to configure the car and the fact that the seat would be going in and out of the car at all times. Stupid me, I should have taken the seat out before I signed the dotted line. I am kicking myself. I called our rep. and when I tried to explain the problem, he had no clue about the track/trolley. Don't know what we are going to do.
After reading how to take the tracks out, it appears that the ones behind he driver will be the easiest?? Track 1 and 2, correct? Those are the two that are behind the driver, right? Would they be easy to put back in for days that I need that seat?? What a hassle this will be. I just can't believe it.
I appreciate all of your instructions, but just wish there was an easy fix???
Thank you,
Paige
Follow-up: Today (the next day), I stopped at the dealer and showed the mechanic the trolley situation. He had no clue. However since I have only owned the car for 48 hours, I said if I had known about the trolleys, I would not have purchased the car. Another mechanic said they could be taken out, and proceeded to tell me how. I then turned to the sells rep and said that I would like to be shown how to do it. So, I am going back to the dealer on Monday. They were apologetic and very nice. I just can't get over the poor design. I have thought of several ways how they could be removable in a way that would still demand safety. I will follow up after Monday.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2006 AWD that I bought new 150k ago and just got a leftover 2015 AWD around Christmas. Last weekend I decided to pull the seats from both vans to move stuff from our cabin to our house...

There is not a lot to add to the conversation--if you don't know why you would want a completely flat floor, then you probably don't need one. But if you need a flat floor, you need it.

The Gen 2 seats are clearly heavier than their Gen 3 replacements and ask for more skill from the van operator to remove and install. My guess is that Toyota decided more people cared about the seats being lightweight and dummy-proof than about the harder-core owners who prize the van for its raw utility. [Taken a step further, If the THIRD row seats came out of the van, there would still be room for a rear differential AND a spare tire. The seat trolleys are just another step towards convenience-over-maximum-utility].

Next time around, if the wallet can stand it, I might look at an MB AWD diesel Sprinter. But that plan has drawbacks beyond just the cost (like a limited dealer network and cost of parts). This man just wants an AWD/4WD box on wheels--I wish that weren't so hard to find in the USA.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am in the midst of removing the trollies right now. The center one on the drivers side came off, but the center one on the passenger side hits the steel loop for the 3rd row seat... what a major pain!

I will next try loosening and lifting the track high enough to get it over the steel loop...
I just did this. The driver's side inner and outer and the passenger side outer rails can be removed with a torque bit and a 12mm socket from inside the van. You do have to peel back the carpet and padding to do this.

To remove the passenger side inner rail, you have to crawl under the van and remove two bolts (or four depending on your van model). You may also have to lower the spare tire.

Details and diagrams can be found at https://www.maketecheasier.com/disable-web-page-auto-refresh-for-various-browsers/

On mine, I took the trolleys out and then put the guide rails back in and snapped the covers over them so there wouldn't be four long holes in the carpet.

Took 30 minutes to get the first three trolleys and rails out. Another 20 minutes to get the passenger inner rail out.

Took almost as long to get the carpet and padding back in and clean up all the debris the previous owners kids somehow got under the carpet.

But now the floor is flat - which makes it the perfect van for camping, hauling and when needed carrying three passengers - one up front and two in the far back row of seats.

2011 Sienna Limited

Bill

·
Registered
70 Posts
^^ Cool... yeah I ended up taking out 3 of the 4, leaving only the passenger side outer one in; I am going to build a bed platform and so that one will be covered up by the bed. Then I'll still be able to use under bed for storage with the other trolleys gone.

I had to undo 4 bolts from underneath for the one track, was able to get at it without removing the spare. I bolted the track back on, but didn't put the plastic pieces back on. I put a pad and carpet down over the whole floor though so everything is covered up.

·
Registered
70 Posts
By the way, I also completely removed the 3rd row seats which turned out to be way easier than the 2nd row with trolley removal...

·
Registered
10 Posts
What a pain and sick design. I was planning to buy a Sienna 2016 because of the AWD. Now I'm so heasitate. I think I really need that flat floor for sleeping, while keep the ability to pickup 6 person. Sigh...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

You made my day - thank you, thank you, thank you! I'm planning a road/camping trip (as I did in the 70s with my Dodge A100) and was totally bummed to see the bulky contraptions left after removing the second row captain's chairs today from my 2015 Limited (the Toyota service guys did it for me and told me the floor runner contraption didn't come out) :(

The job sounds doable - maybe even for me possibly. How did you figure it out? Are there picture diagrams anywhere?

Carol in San Diego

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks all for the information. I had an 06 Sienna LE that I camped in regularly in the summers. I just got a certified used 13 Sienna LE and I am super annoyed that one of the biggest reasons for getting a van was it's utility and versatility is lost.

I can't believe Toyota messed this one up big time. I miss my old van.

-Kendi

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just wanted to add my voice to the chorus stating that this is a stupid design. I expected a flat floor. No I didn't pull the seats in the showroom to verify this. Neither did I check to make sure I didn't need to use a string to pull the wipers across the windshield. My point being that some things are so obvious that you don't even think you need to check them. I took a tape measure to see if I could put a sheet of plywood in the cabin, I did not take the seats out to be sure a wall didn't spring up when they were removed.

Having said this, there may be a small silver lining to these ridiculous trolleys in the middle of the cabin, at least for some people. A little clever work with some plywood will make a base that allows you to lock cargo into the van using the trolleys rather than having it loosely placed on the floor. This seems an area ripe for an aftermarket add on to me.

I'm thinking especially of the dog crate and cooler people. A base that connects to the bars which is designed to hold the crate or cooler could be made which would hold it in place - even in the event of a rollover.

I will see what I can come up with when I have some time alone with the Sienna. Which may be a while, since my wife loves driving it.

Reluctant

New owner of a 2016 LE

·
Registered
5 Posts
found this toyota sienna seat rail doc online, thought to share with you guys:

ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/MO/molurch/2013-08-29_001157_seat.pdf

·
Registered
1 Posts
Aloha everyone, I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to say THANK YOU for the info on here.
Today I successfully removed most of the second row seats and hardware from a 2016 Sienna L.
RIKNAPORA has a good description, and indeed it DOES NOT TAKE 4 hours and a pro mechanic to remove this stuff. You just need a few tools, and about an hour, and you can get a lot done.

What I did was: Remove everything, except for the two inboard rails. This means that both inner rails are still in the van, but the trolleys are removed. The outer rails and trolleys are removed completely. You need a standard set of metric socket wrenches (I think it was 10mm, 14mm, 17mm, and maybe 12mm.) A 17mm wrench. And a Torx 50 attachment that you buy at Home Depot for $2. And an extension attachment. This description is from memory earlier today, and may be slightly inaccurate, so also use common sense.

My nomenclature: "Rail" and "track" are the same thing to me. From driver to passenger there are 4 rails. Outboard rails are 1 and 4. Inboard rails are 2 and 3.

1) Remove 2nd row seats from the van, and all the plastic covers off of anything. Grab the plastic and pull gently, use common sense strength to not break anything. Off of the trolleys, off of the seat belt attachment to the floor. Remove both vent covers on the floor. If it is plastic, and it is on the tracks or trolleys, remove it.
2) Pull up and loosen the carpet, starting back near the AC vents, to give you some access to the back ends of the rails.
3) remove the black bar that links the two trolleys for each seat (I think it was 10mm hex nut x 4)

Now, TO REMOVE THE OUTBOARD RAILS/TRACKS: These rails are secured by bolts that are INSIDE the cabin. Your goal is to remove the 4 bolts and lift out the rail.
4) remove the single bolt that holds down the seat belt strap (hex head, maybe 14mm)
5) use the torx 50 wrench attachment to remove the 2 bolts at the front and rear of the track.
6) use the torx 50 wrench attachment to loosen the middle bolt in the center of the track (it doesn't need to come out of the track, just loosen it all the way)
7) lift up the entire track, with the trolley in it.
8) repeat for the other outboard track. You are done with the outboard tracks (1 and 4). This took you about 20 minutes.

TO REMOVE INBOARD TRACKS/TROLLEYS. These rails are secured by bolts that are UNDER THE CAR. Access is limited for rail #2, because of the gas tank. Access is better for rail #3, once you drop the spare tire (easy). I decided to leave the rails in the van, but to remove the trolleys from the rails. This requires loosening some of the bolts for the #3 rail from under the van. I think it was a 17mm bolt.

REMOVAL OF TROLLEY #2: Your goal is to slide the trolley out the rear of the track
1) Remove the end stop from the rear of track #2. This is a single 10mm bolt that secures a metal end piece.
2) Push the tab down on the trolley car and slide it backward and off of the track. Done. This took you 3 minutes.

REMOVAL OF TROLLEY #3: Your goal is to slide the trolley out of the FRONT of the track, since a welded piece on the floor prevents rearward removal
1) remove the end stop from the front of track #3. 10mm.
2) Remove the plastic covers that hide the 4 bolts for the front passenger seat
3) Use a socket wrench to remove all 4 bolts holding down the passenger front seat. You can leave any electrical attached, since you only need to loosen the seat, not remove it from vehicle. Tilt the seat forward so its leaning on the dashboard or so. This step will give you space to slide the trolley out, forward.
4) Drop the spare tire and leave it where it falls under your van. Instruction of this are in your manual. Takes 2 minutes.
5)Get under the vehicle with a 17mm wrench, and maybe a socket wrench. (I think it was 17mm). Loosen and remove the large nut that holds down the track, at the front of the track. Do the same for the large nut near the spare tire. Do the same for the one further to the rear. You can leave the last one at the rear of the track, unless you want to remove the track from the vehicle completely, but access to this last nut is a little harder, but not impossible. These nuts didn't fit into my socket wrench because of their length, so I had to use a standard wrench.
6) With the three nuts removed, you should be able to go back to the rail and pull the forward end up, allowing you to slide the trolley forward and out of the track. Replace the 4 bolts for the passenger front seat, and replace the 3 nuts under the van, and then return the spare tire to its secure position. This whole thing took you 25 minutes.

ALL DONE ! There you have it. In about one hour or so, you can remove nearly all of the 2nd row seats and hardware. This process leaves the #2 and #3 track in the vehicle but removes their trolleys, and removes all of the track and trolley for #1 and #4. I did this today in my driveway, with simple tools, and will post more if I decide to go back and remove the inboard tracks completely in the future.

Next is cleaning up, and buying new carpeting to go over all the uneven flooring.....
Good luck Sienna owners! I love this new ride, way better than the Dodge Caravan I had, even with the convenient seat removal I used to enjoy!

Aloha

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you everyone. Amazing thread. I a the proud owner of a Sienna LE 2015 that I will turn into camper. to sure yet if I will uses the trolleys or not for some yet-to-be-invented camper innovation or make my life simple and remove everything thanks to your great advice. Has anyone put a Webasto heater or a Propex heater into their Sienna camper conversion?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I do agree with the stupid engineering design here on newer Sienna. If there's no improvement, they should have left it alone. The older Sienna 2010 or below had FLAT floor rails when seat were removed. My family got the 2011 Sienna and everything else is great except these rails. I wish Toyota take a look at Dodge Caravan or even Honda Odyssey for their second row seats design.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for all the info in here same goes for 2018 models doesnt take long once you get into it and by putting tracks back looks like new with out tearing up carpet and getting new!
Thanks for all the info made my day and got to take back and tell service dept how it was done

·
Registered
2 Posts
These Sienna second seat rails are much more than a nuisance.
I just lost my 2002 Dodge Town and Country after being hit by a pickup truck that ran a stop light. At 75 with only one leg, I had not been looking forward to getting another car. I needed one with at least 28 inches of room in the rear door. For me, the 2011 Sienna was not cheap, but by far looked like the best choice. I use a power chair. For five years, I never had a problem getting the chair into and out of the Dodge on two ramps.
The Sienna's remaining rails keep kicking the chair off center, several times dumping it sideways onto the street, once on top of me. Every time, I have to pick it up from its side and start again.
I tried to get under the van, but couldn’t sort through all your notes. So this car goes to my mechanic with your notes.
Your notes are all about later cars. Surprising that Toyota never fixed the problem over those years.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Has anyone looked to see if it's possible to cut some precisely placed openings in the top of the tracks/rails so the trolleys can be lifted out w/o unbolting anything? That way it would be a lot faster to remove/install the trolleys in case you wanted/had to use the middle seats. Haven't removed mine yet so I dont' know what the trolleys look like or how the lock mechanism works.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Has anyone looked to see if it's possible to cut some precisely placed openings in the top of the tracks/rails so the trolleys can be lifted out w/o unbolting anything? That way it would be a lot faster to remove/install the trolleys in case you wanted/had to use the middle seats. Haven't removed mine yet so I dont' know what the trolleys look like or how the lock mechanism works.
Hey Wavedude!

I’ve had my van for about a month and, like many others have commented, I was bummed when I removed the 2nd row seat and saw the trolleys. I run my van with the driver side 2nd row seat out to accommodate bikes and a dog. The passenger side 2nd row seat is used to strap the bike(s) to. My preferred set up is to have the driver’s side 2nd row seat and trolleys removed So bikes can get through the side door easier and not damage the roof liner.

To answer your question, the trolleys are rigid and about a foot long so you’d have to cut a fairly long opening. I suspect that safety would be severely impacted if you did this. You would jeopardize the strength of the rail/trolley system making the 2nd row unsafe for seating in the future. If it’s a permanent removal maybe it’s ok but otherwise I wouldn’t recommend it.

I tried to remove trolleys 1 and 2 yesterday. 1 is out, 2 is still in there. I just reread the details previously posted in this thread and will be having another look at trolley #2. It sounds like it should be the easiest.

Good luck and I hope you get it set up how you need it!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Have not seen a trolley up close. Was hoping maybe to just cut a slot above the wheels/bearings and get them straight up and out--but if there's more holding them in I can see how it's not possiible. :(

21 - 40 of 60 Posts