Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WE've looked at a few Siennas to replace my Odyssey- what is with the angle of the second row seat? My teen loved the leg room but is unable to adjust the lower seat and backrest to sit upright. I am looking on the forum in case there is something I'm missing about how to adjust it. In particular, the lower seat looks like it is almost a 45 degree angle.

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
Interesting observation although I suspect that the 2nd row seat cushion angle is a quite a bit less than 45 degrees. I've never really noticed that the seat cushion recline angle is more than in some other vehicles and no one riding back there has ever commented on it.

Offhand I don't know of any vehicle that has 2nd row seats that have an adjustable seat cushion angle. I just checked the owners manual of the rather expensive BMW X7 we are considering and was surprised to find that its power operated 2nd row seats don't have a seat cushion angle adjustment and have only basic 4-way adjustments.

It sounds like you are out of luck on the Sienna unless you can teach your teen to slouch like many teens tend to do. My favorite movie dialog about slouching is attached.

Rectangle Font Material property Pattern Triangle
Smile Tie Sleeve Gesture Font

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting observation although I suspect that the 2nd row seat cushion angle is a quite a bit less than 45 degrees. I've never really noticed that the seat cushion recline angle is more than in some other vehicles and no one riding back there has ever commented on it.

Offhand I don't know of any vehicle that has 2nd row seats that have an adjustable seat cushion angle. I just checked the owners manual of the rather expensive BMW X7 we are considering and was surprised to find that its power operated 2nd row seats don't have a seat cushion angle adjustment and have only basic 4-way adjustments.

It sounds like you are out of luck on the Sienna unless you can teach your teen to slouch like many teens tend to do. My favorite movie dialog about slouching is attached.

View attachment 53654 View attachment 53655
Thanks for your response. My son (who is 6'3") said he felt like he was tilted back and his knees were at a weird angle. Slouching is not his thing :) I would hope the lower cushion could be adjusted but in looking at photos of other Sienna's, it looks like that's how they made these seats (possibly for baby car seats?)

·
Registered
552 Posts
Funny you mentioned this. It was the opposite for my teens. They hated the 2018 Odyssey because of the second row seats. The flat seat was okay, but the 2018 had a seat back that has a really extended forward lumbar area where the kids and myself felt like it’s pushing out our power back way too much. It was very uncomfortable. They loved the angled seat of the Sienna and the lack of the lump at the lower back of the Sienna seat. It was one of their happiest days when I got rid of the 2018 Odyssey for another Sienna.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks for your response. My son (who is 6'3") said he felt like he was tilted back and his knees were at a weird angle. Slouching is not his thing :) I would hope the lower cushion could be adjusted but in looking at photos of other Sienna's, it looks like that's how they made these seats (possibly for baby car seats?)
My son is 6'5" and I have yet to hear a comment from him, even after a 6 hour trip.... The super slide was great and gave him plenty of leg room. My littler ones haven't said a thing either other than my daughter complaining about no seat heaters...I don't even have them in the front row!! lol

·
Registered
'11 Limited FWD
304 Posts
My kids, my sister and my wife have sat in those seats for hours without a complaint. I don't understand the concerns at all.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Maybe you just need to readjust it? Both the seat bottom and seat back collapse on my '15 Limited when releasing them with the side lever to slide the seat when standing outside the van. They need to be pushed back into position. Maybe this happened and they didn't get reset to the proper position?

·
Registered
'11 Limited FWD
304 Posts
@bbbuzzy do you have the ottomans? I thought all of the Limiteds do and I believe the seat bottom does not tilt on mine. It is about 15~18º from horizontal.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I have both models with and without ottomans. The ottomans have less of an angle than the non ottomans.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts