Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This just popped up in my Google news feed:
https://www.motor1.com/news/352449/toyota-sienna-lift-kit/
The video (1:23:34-1:28:00) shows the kit which he is selling for $710 for 2WD and $750 for 4WD.
He's also upgraded the rims+tires, which makes for a bit more clearance. Works for Siennas '04-'19.
Has anyone seen/used this kit? Any issues with raising the van the van (CV boots, etc)? I've never raised a vehicle and am wondering how much work this would entail. I've changed timing belts, brakes, etc so it looks like an interesting/doable project.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have the 3.5-inch lift kit on my 05 XLE AWD. Purchased in early March this year and had the kit installed by my mechanic March 20th. Definitely improved my ground clearance. I pretty regularly drive Forest Service, BLM and farm roads. With the lift I can get many places that I would not be able to otherwise. The kit is very solid and quite well made. One could put the kit on at home with some serious jacks and jackstands. It would take a full day, maybe more.

JourneysOffRoad was very willing to answer all my questions during my pre-purchase investigation. I am very satisfied with their kit and their customer service.

I put Yokohama Geolander 235/65 R17's on my stock rims. This is my first set. They seem fine so far. I haven't experienced a traction problem. I wanted to run Bridgestone Duelers after the kit was installed. I have them on my Tundra 4x4 and really like them: good off-road traction, quiet on the highway and they last about 80,000 miles. Unfortunately the smallest Dueler size rubs the spring collar on the front suspension. Thus the switch to the Geolanders.

I have driven a bit over 8,000 miles with the lift and the tires. I am quite pleased with the setup. The van handles fine both on and off the pavement. It corners well, brakes fine, and doesn’t feel "tippy" at all. The added height was a notable change when getting in and out at first, but I adjusted quickly.

The only drawback is the scratched paint from driving down Forest Service roads that are overgrown with brush.

·
Registered
27 Posts
A couple of pictures of my lifted 2005 Sienna. North of Dettah, Northwest Territories, and South of Ft. Simpson, Northwest Territories. Add 6,000 miles to the total.

North of Dettah, Northwest Territories.JPG

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the 3.5-inch lift kit on my 05 XLE AWD. Purchased in early March this year and had the kit installed by my mechanic March 20th. Definitely improved my ground clearance. I pretty regularly drive Forest Service, BLM and farm roads. With the lift I can get many places that I would not be able to otherwise. The kit is very solid and quite well made. One could put the kit on at home with some serious jacks and jackstands. It would take a full day, maybe more.

JourneysOffRoad was very willing to answer all my questions during my pre-purchase investigation. I am very satisfied with their kit and their customer service.

I put Yokohama Geolander 235/65 R17's on my stock rims. This is my first set. They seem fine so far. I haven't experienced a traction problem. I wanted to run Bridgestone Duelers after the kit was installed. I have them on my Tundra 4x4 and really like them: good off-road traction, quiet on the highway and they last about 80,000 miles. Unfortunately the smallest Dueler size rubs the spring collar on the front suspension. Thus the switch to the Geolanders.

I have driven a bit over 8,000 miles with the lift and the tires. I am quite pleased with the setup. The van handles fine both on and off the pavement. It corners well, brakes fine, and doesn’t feel "tippy" at all. The added height was a notable change when getting in and out at first, but I adjusted quickly.

The only drawback is the scratched paint from driving down Forest Service roads that are overgrown with brush.
Thanks for this. Just wondering if it changes the smooth ride of the mini-van at all. I really like that it's cushy and doesn't feel like a truck and not bumping up and down or jerking when making turns. I am pulling a 18 ft travel trailer and could use the extra height. Especially if I want to go off road after I've parked the trailer.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I do not find the ride is harsher with the lift kit. The kit doesn't change the springs or shocks.
The kit does allow me to go down harsher roads though.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Gregg,

I’ve been following the good work of journeys end and 4x4cal. I’ve waited until
there had been a number of installations and what if any issues users have had. I like you want use my lifted Sienna to access BLM land a forest roads, nothing more radical than that.

Have you experienced any cv joint or any related steering or front end issues. How many miles have you put on your car since you had the car lifted and Do you use it as your daily driver ? Not sure where you live, in cold country we do have the occasional pot holes. Have you had any damage whenever you’ve Encountered the unexpected road hazard/pothole.

To the wider group. There appears to be two methods to lift the sienna. One by journeys end and the other using the design of 4x4cal. How are the two approaches different ? Does one offer a potentially more successful long term implementation (cv jt and front end failures).

Congratulations, your van looks great.
Thx,

Jim

·
Registered
27 Posts
Jim,

I have not had any problems with the CV joints, boots, alignment, handling. I have put 17,490 miles on it with the Journeys OffRoad lift kit. My Sienna is a daily driver and a road trip/vacation vehicle. I live in Concord CA and drive extensively. Shortly after the lift kit installation, I drove to the Great Slave Lake in the Northwest Territories with no problems. I use the van on Forest Service roads and BLM roads of widely varying quality. Some of the Forest Service roads will shake you fillings out if you drive over 5MPH. Some of the FS roads are deeply rutted. I haven't scraped bottom or come close to high centering with the kit.

I can't comment on other lift kits: no experience; haven't met anyone with a lifted Sienna.

Essentially I am very pleased with the lift kit.

Gregg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts