Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered up one of Journey Offroad's new Gen 3 AWD lift kit's last week for $750. It is arriving Thursday and I'll try to get it installed asap for summer travels. Let me know if you want pics or anything before I take the kit into the shop to get installed or any before and after measurements on my rig.

I have a 2014 AWD Limited. I've already upsized my tires to 245/65R17 (29.5") Michelin Defender LTX M/S on eBay OEM 17" wheels. These do rub a little during downhill driveway exits but it is livable to me.

To measure ground clearance in a uniform manor from rig to rig I like to measure from the ground to the lowest body panel in two spots: Behind the front wheel and in front of the rear wheel. For me this is the area of clearance I most often utilize; typically driving over the worst items with my tire. This of course isn't exactly fair as a Subaru has a wishbone shape with great clearance in the center while the Sienna is flat but it is an easy comparable measurement.

Rig as purchased at 30,000 miles with wornout stock 235/55R18 28.2" Behind front wheel 8.25" and in front of rear wheel 8.5"

Before any lift new 245/65R17 (29.5") Michelin Defender LTX M/S Behind front wheel 9.1" and in front of rear wheel 9.6"
For reference our 2006 AWD Element and 2013 Outback have behind front wheel 10.5".
Why I like this measurement. According to Edmunds Ground Clearance: Element 6.9", Outback 8.7", Sienna 6.6". In my experience the Element and Sienna are no where near similar which shows better with my measurement then OEM reporting.

My personal goal has been to be able to take our Sienna anywhere I've taken our Element in the past. I hope this kit crushes past the goal and I can take our Sienna anywhere you'd take a stock Outback or 2wd Sprinter. Spring 2017 we tried to drive up the road to ski Elderberry Canyon on Mt. Tom and were rather quickly rejected. Fall 2017 my wife we driving on a good dirt road which at about 50 mph, she whacked a rock hard because her Subi would have cleared it. I hope this kit solves these problems.

Let me know if you have any before and afters you think I should do with this kit? I'll post some after photos once the kit is installed.

http://journeysoffroad.com/siennaliftkits.html

2011-2018 Toyota Sienna AWD
3.5" Lift Kit

​Complete kit with everything you need to lift your Toyota Sienna AWD. Fit tires up to 245/65R17
​29.5"/750MM maximum tire diameter .

Journeys Off Road's 3.5 Lift Kit for a 2011-2018 Toyota Sienna AWD kit includes:
  • Two (2) Strut Extensions
  • Two (2) Sway Bar Links
  • Two (2) Camber Adjustment Bolts
  • Two (2) Rear Axle Drop Brackets
  • Two (2) Rear Coil Spring Spacers
  • Two (2) Rear Bump Stop/Shock Extensions
  • Two (2) Extended Rear Brake Lines
  • Exhaust Offset W/ Clamps (certain models require simple tail pipe modification)
  • Rear Differential Drop Kit
  • All Necessary Hardware and Instructions

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can’t wait to see the photos! By the way, what would be the largest tire that wouldn’t rub? I’m looking to get more clearance on my 2013 AWD LE for the same reasons as you.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
People ask these questions all the time. Problem is every tire is different. You'd need to compare the actual tire specs to know. Sadly no 245/65R17 isn't all you need to know. Discount tire was willing to test fit for me. I also have 235/60R18 Blizzaks and they seem to rub less or not at all. I don't really remember. If you're not willing to accept a little potential rubbing then stick with stock sizes. With the wheel well size I'm not sure you could go much larger then 245/65R17.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Any update on this? I’ve been looking up lift kits for a sienna and asked around and I’ve pretty much been laughed at 100% of the time I mentioned it to anybody.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Congratulation and I'm glad this lift kit finally available. I look forward on this.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jeeter, looks like you were Mike's test rig? If so thanks so much for bringing him your rig so he could get this developed up!

The GTRV looks great! I chatted with GTRV when we were buying our rig. We didn't go that direction but GTRV seemed great.

As far as my update. I received the kit last week. 2 boxes in flat rate priority. Pretty quick shipment and delivery.

JourneyOffroad has the instructions here:
http://journeysoffroad.com/sienna-lift-kit-installation-instructions.html

HIFOKAI - I've gotten laughed at plenty of times. Last year I think I talked with about 6 or 7 shops.

Shop 1. 17 miles from home; I chatted with this shop a year ago. They pretty much laughed and dismissed me.

Shop 2. 43 miles from home; I chatted with this shop a year ago. They were real friendly and wanted to try to make the project happen but had heard about the Gen 2 kit coming out and said my best option was likely to wait.
Shop 3. 7 miles from home. I chatted with them a year ago and they were nice and looked at the rig but said they couldn't fabricate what I needed.

Based off the instructions I've checked with 2 of the shops from above, both said they could install.
Shop 1. 12-14 hrs, $110/hr, $100 alignment. $1,420-$1,640; 2 week scheduling backlog.

Shop 2. 10-12 hrs, $97/hr, $80 alignment. $1,050-$1,244

Shop 3. I'm going to contact about there pricing.

Overall it is a bit more cash to install then I'd hoped but understandable given how through the kit looks. With a range of $1,050-$1,640 it is worth shopping around the install a bit for sure.

That's where I'm at right now. Given the secheduling backlog, seems like this will not get installed til the end of the month at the earliest.

·
Registered
5 Posts
A quick question since the install has not happened yet: could you do a couple quick measurements on the strut shims? It looks like they are 2 pieces of steel plate separated by a steel box or polygonal tube. what I'm curious about is:
1) are the two plates parallel to each other or is there an angular difference?
2) are the holes in the one plate aligned with the studs in the other, or is there an offset? And in this case I mean offset in the plane of the plates - I can see that the studs are not square to the plate that they are set into.
Very curious about these things; and about whether the 3.5" boost is too much for the CV joints to handle.
Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The photos of the kit make it look offset but in hand everything seems vertical and the holes are lined up straight up and down.

Recently I've been seeing mobility vans with even bigger lifts which Toyota must be considering in design. It just gives me a bit of confidence the CV joints will hold up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Did you get this installed? Curious as to how it is working out for you? Any thoughts on upgrades to the engine or gearing to gain some power to turn those larger wheels / tires?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would not get too excited about anything you see on a mobility van. Most of those are not so much lifted as having their floors lowered in relation to the rest of the body. In other words, engine, suspension and floor are not further from the ground; but volume is added so that roof is further from the fllor of the van and thus further from the ground. All intended to gain interior height, not added ground clearance.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't think you've seen the vans I'm talking about. Many of the mobility vans are modest changes, so just raise the rear. Howerver, this has got to be 3"-6" lift.

What exactly it looks like underneath I'm not sure. Could just be equivalent to a body lift. However, the approach angle
and side body clearance would be massively improved. I'm not sure overall how much the Journey kit will increase the underbody clearance but at least I won't smash the sliding doors if I do something stupid, well I hope.

I'm already running Michelin LTX MS 245/65R17 (29.5"). It really isn't much of a tire change size. They added about a 0.5" of clearance. I've probably put 6,000 miles on them. I don't foresee screwing with the engine or trany.

·
Registered
4 Posts
CV's are doing fine - They needed to "wear in" a bit but the thing runs on rails now. There is a break-in period of around 500 miles but they don't seem to mind the new angles

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello,

Looks like you had your van lifted by Journeys Overland. I know it’s early, but can you provide some feedback

How does it handle with both the popup and cargo carrier. Have you experienced issues when cornering or driving at hwy speeds in the wind. Is it too heavy, do you have to be careful when cornering or cutting through heavy cross winds. I know it’s early, but any issues with your CVT’s

What wheels and tires did you used

Are all Model years supported for the popup conversion.

Great job, haven’t purchased a Sienna yet, but if this is viable I plan too

Jim

1 - 20 of 62 Posts