Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
241 - 253 of 253 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
DoubleO
I had the guys at RACK N ROAD outfitter in Sacramento CA custom install the front bar for me. It is a universal foot drilled directly into the roof and can accommodate either a Yakima or Thule foot pending what brand u want. The cross bar is either Yakima or Thule whisper aero bar that comes out to edge on front doors. I didn’t want head injury getting in and out of sienna w sienna at stock non-lifted height. But now with the 3.5 inch lift, the longer bars will not be of any issues. the front bar is a must if you want to maximize roof Realestate. Make sure you do a test fitment run with the front bar position before drilling. The front bar will sit pretty low with most of the existing feet on the market and will not allow your sunroof to open. I would look for the tallest foot for the front bar.

i used long Thule bars for the back. Incorporated into the factory luggage roof rack. The front set up is designed for long skis and Snowbaords/bikes is needed. The rear bars are closed together for my daughters boards and skis. They also accommodate snow shoes when we go snow camping/trekking etc. I don’t put anything that can fly around inside in the back. I also used rhino rack MaxTraxx adapters to mount a side mounted ski carrier for quick carry of poles or a single board when I’m on my own. Very convenient.

I’ve had that system for on for 5+ years. No issues. 185,000 miles without any rattling or failure. Gas mileage efficiency is same. Factory says 18.5 miles per gallon. My cars reader says 17.5. Not too bad.
View attachment 45699
View attachment 45700 View attachment 45701 View attachment 45702
Hi, I'm a long-time lurker, first-time poster. SSC75, your Sienna looks great! I saw you mentioned that your fog lights are Morimoto, but I'm curious about the LED bar (and other lights) you have mounted to your front bumper... How are they mounted, brands, etc?? I'm soon to buy the Journey's lift and will be making some additions to the family ski/camping/all purpose minivan. Thank you for any help!

·
Registered
31 Posts
All of you who have done this lift, how is the long-term durability with use on rough roads?

The rear axle drop brackets look like a weak link to me. The materials look weaker than the frame axle mounting points. Are the drop brackets holding up to lots of use on uneven surfaces?

What needs (or needed) to be cut for the installation of these drop brackets? Is the installation reversible? I can't get a response from JOR on this issue.

For future folks considering upping their tire size or wheel spacers:

Reference guide for car wheel and tire dimensions such as size, offset, PCD

It is interesting to me that, according to wheel-size.com, wider tires result in less grip on dirty roads (as well as on wet roads).

The increase of the contact area is almost directly proportional to the increase in the braking distance when it comes to sandy or dirty roads.
I am certainly not knowledgeable in these things. But that does corroborate with the explanation given here that narrow tires put more pressure on the surface: Wide or narrow tires? Here’s how your choice will affect driving / Nokian Tyres

Here's another: Wider tire giving better traction debate!

·
Registered
143 Posts
I did the 2" Traxda lift and upsized the tires in diameter only - so from 235/55 to 235/60. I had read that narrower tires do better in snow, and didn't want wider tires on EO rims anyways. That size fits the wheel well nicely, I'm glad I didn't go any further with it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey All,

I am putting the Journey off-road kit on my 2011 Toyota Sienna AWD and have some concerns going into the process. I have been quoted for 11-14 hrs of work from many shops and hope that I am not getting in over my head with the install here. I have a little background in DIY mechanic stuff and working with a friend that has put in the Journey Off-road Astro Van lift (which is way less detailed). Does anyone have any advice from a DIY vs paying a mechanic standpoint? Thanks so much!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey All,

I am putting the Journey off-road kit on my 2011 Toyota Sienna AWD and have some concerns going into the process. I have been quoted for 11-14 hrs of work from many shops and hope that I am not getting in over my head with the install here. I have a little background in DIY mechanic stuff and working with a friend that has put in the Journey Off-road Astro Van lift (which is way less detailed). Does anyone have any advice from a DIY vs paying a mechanic standpoint? Thanks so much!
I did it myself with a friend who has experience modifying cars (jeep Rubicon) and had all the tools needed. I've read posts of people finishing the whole job in a day, it took us two. There's a video on YouTube that helped a good bit (
) and I had to call Mike at JOR who was super helpful and picked up the phone on my first try, so... All in all, it was worth saving the about $1500 on shop fees, but was not painless (for us). I have a 2012 AWD which had about 100k miles at the time of install (now at 106k) and haven't needed to replace CV's or anything else. Hope that helps a little. Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I did it myself with a friend who has experience modifying cars (jeep Rubicon) and had all the tools needed. I've read posts of people finishing the whole job in a day, it took us two. There's a video on YouTube that helped a good bit (
) and I had to call Mike at JOR who was super helpful and picked up the phone on my first try, so... All in all, it was worth saving the about $1500 on shop fees, but was not painless (for us). I have a 2012 AWD which had about 100k miles at the time of install (now at 106k) and haven't needed to replace CV's or anything else. Hope that helps a little. Good luck!
Thanks so much for the reply! Lifts up and good to go. Some leaking in the rear differential seal, but this may just be a coincidence as I have 101,000 on the vehicle. Do you have any issues with differential leaking from putting on the lift kit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks so much for the reply! Lifts up and good to go. Some leaking in the rear differential seal, but this may just be a coincidence as I have 101,000 on the vehicle. Do you have any issues with differential leaking from putting on the lift kit.
Great! Glad to hear you got the lift on. I haven't had any leaking but did have some gremlins to figure out (shaking, rattling etc).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Great! Glad to hear you got the lift on. I haven't had any leaking but did have some gremlins to figure out (shaking, rattling etc).
Hahah always! If theres any tips/tricks you find please share! I will do the same if any come up on my end. Cheers!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey there,
So I have the 3.5" lift, 20mm spacers and just got some new tires (wildpeaks 245/60/r18) and have the slight rub on the plastic when reversing (as mentioned by others in several posts). I wondering if anyone has trimmed any plastic or gotten creative with heat guns to any great result? It's nothing major, but seeing if there's an easy remedy out there. Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can’t wait to see the photos! By the way, what would be the largest tire that wouldn’t rub? I’m looking to get more clearance on my 2013 AWD LE for the same reasons as you.
When I called Mike at Journeys he recommended tire size 255/55 R18 which is what he has on his van. He said even with spacers if you go bigger I they will rub on the struts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone here upgraded the shocks during this process? I'm about to replace my suspension and would like to get something that can handle the heat build up of long washboardy roads. Are there any higher end shocks that would fit?

·
Registered
31 Posts
When I called Mike at Journeys he recommended tire size 255/55 R18 which is what he has on his van. He said even with spacers if you go bigger I they will rub on the struts.
You can get an idea of the maximum tire size by measuring the distance between the tire and the bottom strut spring cup and between the tire and the wheel well when the wheels are turned.

Note that increasing tire size may affect scrub radius and therefore may affect steering / handling.

241 - 253 of 253 Posts