Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

141 - 159 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Nice. When I search for wheels that size and offset, this is one of the only choices that I find.

Have you noticed any mud spray that isn't caught inside the wheel well, with the different offset a bit farther outboard?

How about any changes in braking distances with the beefier tires?

View attachment 45552
Open country all-terrain’s from Les Schwab
245/65R 17. Black rhinoUnit wheels, 17 X8 with 15 mm positive offset. Fits perfectly into real well without rubbing

·
Registered
34 Posts
I love the look of your van. I think we have a very similar set-up. View attachment 45572

Inko
With that trailer and your lifted sienna AWD, it looks like you’re good to go. I’m sure that’s a very convenient set up.

I think it was A photo of your sienna with black rhino boxer wheels that helped me narrowed my search. Did you get the 15mm positive offset or did you opted for 35 mm positive offset and ran 1inch spacers from Journeys offroad.?

I switched to 15mm offset on the new wheels so I wouldn’t have to use spacers. I’m uncertain about safety issues with them, but almost all major tire shops like LES schwabb won’t work with spacers. I got the black rhino Unit wheels at 15mm offset and they have been working well. 3000 miles and no issues.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Nice. When I search for wheels that size and offset, this is one of the only choices that I find.

Have you noticed any mud spray that isn't caught inside the wheel well, with the different offset a bit farther outboard?

How about any changes in braking distances with the beefier tires?

riverrat
I’ve taken the sienna set up with new wheels and tires to Death Valley twice now. Probably a good 20-30 miles of dirt and gravel roads each time. No issues with gravel spit and no rock scratches on door or rear fenders. I’ll try to send you a photo of the dirt pattern on my sienna.

the 15mm offset on new wheels pushes the tires out to just the edge of fender well. The stock toyota rims are at 45mm offset so they are very recessed into wheel well. I also wanted to take full advantage of a wider wheel stance because of the lift, to counter balance any topHeavy side effects etc

the open country tires are impressive. VERY VERY QUIET on pavement., which is 90% of the trip. But good all terrain performance on dirt and gravel. I don’t do anything outrageous off trail w sienna.

No change in braking performance. I have the Bosch rotors in front and stock in rear. Upgraded pads all around. No brake fading. In addition, no loss of power either with larger tire diameter. My new tires are 29.2 inches. Stock set up was 27.5 inches I believe. They say speedometer reading can be off 5 miles per hour. I compared car speedometer reading w gps and street radar. Same readings.

Here Are photos w dirt spray pattern w new wheels and tires:

·
Registered
34 Posts
SkiShootClimb75, Which make and model (and parts) did you use for the front-most cross bars over the driver and front passenger? I hate all that wasted roof real-estate.
Also, thanks for all the detailed responses - it goes a long way in demystifying the process.
DoubleO
I had the guys at RACK N ROAD outfitter in Sacramento CA custom install the front bar for me. It is a universal foot drilled directly into the roof and can accommodate either a Yakima or Thule foot pending what brand u want. The cross bar is either Yakima or Thule whisper aero bar that comes out to edge on front doors. I didn’t want head injury getting in and out of sienna w sienna at stock non-lifted height. But now with the 3.5 inch lift, the longer bars will not be of any issues. the front bar is a must if you want to maximize roof Realestate. Make sure you do a test fitment run with the front bar position before drilling. The front bar will sit pretty low with most of the existing feet on the market and will not allow your sunroof to open. I would look for the tallest foot for the front bar.

i used long Thule bars for the back. Incorporated into the factory luggage roof rack. The front set up is designed for long skis and Snowbaords/bikes is needed. The rear bars are closed together for my daughters boards and skis. They also accommodate snow shoes when we go snow camping/trekking etc. I don’t put anything that can fly around inside in the back. I also used rhino rack MaxTraxx adapters to mount a side mounted ski carrier for quick carry of poles or a single board when I’m on my own. Very convenient.

I’ve had that system for on for 5+ years. No issues. 185,000 miles without any rattling or failure. Gas mileage efficiency is same. Factory says 18.5 miles per gallon. My cars reader says 17.5. Not too bad.

·
Registered
34 Posts
DoubleO
I had the guys at RACK N ROAD outfitter in Sacramento CA custom install the front bar for me. It is a universal foot drilled directly into the roof and can accommodate either a Yakima or Thule foot pending what brand u want. The cross bar is either Yakima or Thule whisper aero bar that comes out to edge on front doors. I didn’t want head injury getting in and out of sienna w sienna at stock non-lifted height. But now with the 3.5 inch lift, the longer bars will not be of any issues. the front bar is a must if you want to maximize roof Realestate. Make sure you do a test fitment run with the front bar position before drilling. The front bar will sit pretty low with most of the existing feet on the market and will not allow your sunroof to open. I would look for the tallest foot for the front bar.

i used long Thule bars for the back. Incorporated into the factory luggage roof rack. The front set up is designed for long skis and Snowbaords/bikes is needed. The rear bars are closed together for my daughters boards and skis. They also accommodate snow shoes when we go snow camping/trekking etc. I don’t put anything that can fly around inside in the back. I also used rhino rack MaxTraxx adapters to mount a side mounted ski carrier for quick carry of poles or a single board when I’m on my own. Very convenient.

I’ve had that system for on for 5+ years. No issues. 185,000 miles without any rattling or failure. Gas mileage efficiency is same. Factory says 18.5 miles per gallon. My cars reader says 17.5. Not too bad.
View attachment 45699
View attachment 45700 View attachment 45701 View attachment 45702
No worries about efforts in getting as much details as I can for anyone researching. It saves headaches when you can get the story and the pictures to help make decisions. Less time on-line. More time on the slopes and the water.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I do recommend changing the wheels and tires if the funds are available. Stock wheels are 18x7 with 45mm positive offset. I changed to 17x8 wheels with 15mm offset. I also added 245/65R 17 Open Country all terrain tires from LES SCHWAB. The lower offset helps to push the wheel out by 1-1.5 inches so it helps with getting the sienna to a wider stance, reduce any top heavy sensation. The 17 inch tires give a softer ride. Feels way more solid.
Hey SSC75...another q for you. I'm planning to have Journeys install their lift kit this fall when I'm in AZ for a river trip. After we bought our 2015 AWD Limited, I swapped the stock 18" wheels & run-flats for aftermarket 17" wheels that were included in the deal, and new 235/65R/17 Michelin X-Ice snow tires. That's what's on the Sienna now. They work great, especially in snow but also ride way better than the run flats. But I'm not sure what offset they are, guessing probably same as stock wheels.

For spring/summer/fall use, I'm thinking of selling the stock 18" wheels and run flats, and buying some 17" wheels in the size you suggest- 17x8 w/15mm offset. Still doing homework on what to buy for spring/summer/fall tires for use here in western Oregon, but will probably get the same size 235/65R/17. (I may bump the width up to 245.)

My question to you is: do you think the 15mm offset wheels and the 235/65R/17 tires would work without rubbing before I get the Journeys lift installed?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey SSC75...another q for you. I'm planning to have Journeys install their lift kit this fall when I'm in AZ for a river trip. After we bought our 2015 AWD Limited, I swapped the stock 18" wheels & run-flats for aftermarket 17" wheels that were included in the deal, and new 235/65R/17 Michelin X-Ice snow tires. That's what's on the Sienna now. They work great, especially in snow but also ride way better than the run flats. But I'm not sure what offset they are, guessing probably same as stock wheels.

For spring/summer/fall use, I'm thinking of selling the stock 18" wheels and run flats, and buying some 17" wheels in the size you suggest- 17x8 w/15mm offset. Still doing homework on what to buy for spring/summer/fall tires for use here in western Oregon, but will probably get the same size 235/65R/17. (I may bump the width up to 245.)

My question to you is: do you think the 15mm offset wheels and the 235/65R/17 tires would work without rubbing before I get the Journeys lift installed?

According to this fitment calculator, you should be fine before adding the JOR lift. Just make sure that the power sliding doors will still cleat a 32.7mm poke. There isn't much room when they open.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Cool, thanks Mitchollow!
Any chance you could give a link to the calculator you used?

Journeys lift is sort of on the back burner right now, in light of current events, but still tentatively planned

·
Registered
3 Posts
Cool, thanks Mitchollow!
Any chance you could give a link to the calculator you used?

Journeys lift is sort of on the back burner right now, in light of current events, but still tentatively planned
Fitment calculator:

With regards to current events, I ordered my JOR kit a few days ago and it arrived today. Went down to the Toyota dealership and talked to their service department about doing the job. They're are an "essential business" and it's a ghost town there. Good time to schedule work if you can. Also stay 6 feet away from all people at all times.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Fitment calculator:

With regards to current events, I ordered my JOR kit a few days ago and it arrived today. Went down to the Toyota dealership and talked to their service department about doing the job. They're are an "essential business" and it's a ghost town there. Good time to schedule work if you can. Also stay 6 feet away from all people at all times.
I was planning to have Journeys install their kit in my Sienna when I was in Arizona this coming October, but that trip is up in the air right now. Keep us posted on how your install goes, and your impressions of how your Sienna handles afterwards!

·
Registered
34 Posts
By adding a lift package to car does that do anything to the warranty?
Ordinarily, one would assume so and the answer is probably "usually, yes". But check out this video and the comments that go along with it. Shows the Toyota dealer in Bend, Oregon installing the Journeys lift kit on a 2019 Sienna. The comments indicate that they are still willing to warranty the vehicle after the lift is installed.

Some things to keep in mind though: 1) Unless a dealer installs the kit themselves, they're unlikely to warranty the work or the vehicle that the kit is installed on. 2) The Journeys kit appears to be well-engineered and those who have it (I don't) indicate that it doesn't influence handling as much as you might think. But it still does change the geometry of certain suspension parts, and it remains to be seen if that reduces the life of some of those components over 100s of thousands of miles. The Toyota warranty ends while a Sienna still has tons of life left in it.

FWIW, I'm planning to have Journeys install their kit in my 2015 AWD Limited this fall, if this C-19 crisis abates by that time..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Inko

Portland is beautiful. We go up to Hoodriver every summer to sail the Gorge. Most always epic.

No, I’m down in the Stockton-Sacramento Region. Lots to do here as well, but we always look forward to our times in HoodRiver.
View attachment 45693
Hi Inko

Portland is beautiful. We go up to Hoodriver every summer to sail the Gorge. Most always epic.

No, I’m down in the Stockton-Sacramento Region. Lots to do here as well, but we always look forward to our times in HoodRiver.
View attachment 45693

Hi SkiShootClimb75. Your sienna looks good! I’m from Sac area too. Can we meet up one day? I like to see you sienna. I’m planning to do some mode on my 19 sienna awd just don’t know where to go and start. I called a few 4x4 shop in the area and they just laugh at me.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi SkiShootClimb75. Your sienna looks good! I’m from Sac area too. Can we meet up one day? I like to see you sienna. I’m planning to do some mode on my 19 sienna awd just don’t know where to go and start. I called a few 4x4 shop in the area and they just laugh at me.
Jab
I’m not surprised you had a few raised eyebrows regarding lifting your sienna. Especially if you don’t have a premise lift kit specific for it. 4-wheels Parts and Valley truck Accessories in stockton CA may be able to install the lift kit for you. At least they said yes to me a year ago, but I had the Journeys off-road info so they can check it out. The guy that did mine was a private shop in sac. Let me know what modifications you’re trying to do and I can try to give you all info that I have etc. Il

Most of these shops are not familiar with the Journeys kit. You can check out my sienna if you are uncertain about the lift. My only word of caution is to not change out the toyota OEM cv axles as the after markets ones are less true and can cause slight vibrations.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Jab
I’m not surprised you had a few raised eyebrows regarding lifting your sienna. Especially if you don’t have a premise lift kit specific for it. 4-wheels Parts and Valley truck Accessories in stockton CA may be able to install the lift kit for you. At least they said yes to me a year ago, but I had the Journeys off-road info so they can check it out. The guy that did mine was a private shop in sac. Let me know what modifications you’re trying to do and I can try to give you all info that I have etc. Il

Most of these shops are not familiar with the Journeys kit. You can check out my sienna if you are uncertain about the lift. My only word of caution is to not change out the toyota OEM cv axles as the after markets ones are less true and can cause slight vibrations.
View attachment 45848
Jab

View attachment 45848

Yes! I love to. Can we meet up Tuesday afternoon between 3-4 if that works for you? How did you put your led fog lights? Did you also change your sway bar link? I have read some other person comment about there sway bar link. How many miles you put after the lift? Any issues now? Hows your traini?Did you use any spacer on your wheel?

141 - 159 of 159 Posts