Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just saw the rumors that Toyota is looking to drop the v8 from the line up and go with a v6 hybrid turbo for the tundra. MAN!!! finally!!! how long will it take before they finally get a clue and put that 3.5L hybrid turbo into the sienna? I would for sure upgrade my 2015 Limited Premium AWD for a 3.5L turbo in a sienna. Come on Toyota, stop waiting a decade beyond when you should have come out with something to finally deliver what the market actually wants today.

By the way, while we are at it, please for the love of it... bring back removable second row seats. We don't need the extra airbags or whatever you think was awesome enough to kill the removable seats. I'd rather go Honda than compromise the removable seats. I do enjoy the idea of a 4cyl prime in the sienna, but the battery needs to be able to do 100 miles on EV alone (but a turbo 6cyl beats all, that is what will move the needle). I NEED BOOST!

·
Registered
751 Posts
While they don’t already have the powertrain in their lineup, I wish the Sienna had a 4-cylinder turbo hybrid powertrain. A bit more power than the gen4 has now along with the ease of maintenance of a 4 over a transverse V6.

I think that is what all the posts lamenting the 4-cylinder fail to mention as an upside. They all mention the better mpg, but a transverse 4 is a lot easier to work on (= less $) than a transverse V6 (no rear spark plugs!).

-Mike

·
Registered
16 Posts
^this^
I don't like FWD V6s, turbo or otherwise, because of the difficulty in doing almost any kind of maintenance or repairs on a transversely mounted V engine. It's too difficult to reach anything on the firewall-side of the engine bank. Besides that, small displacement turbo 4s are making amazing power. FCAs new turbo-4 hybrid for the Wrangler makes 375 hp and 470 lb-ft of torque. The 2.0L engine alone makes 270 hp and 295 lb-ft of torque.

After driving the hybrid Sienna, I'm coming around to the NA four. The layout is very maintenance friendly with good room to reach most everything and the engine has plenty of shove. My biggest complaint is the heavy obsolete NiMH traction battery and the pb-acid battery in the back. All the batteries should be Li-Ion. They could have saved at least 100 lbs by using modern battery technology.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Why not make your own turbo kit? Or do the HKS Supercharger on the 2GRFE 3.5L engine. If you want it, only thing holding you back is $$$$.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My biggest complaint is the heavy obsolete NiMH traction battery and the pb-acid battery in the back. All the batteries should be Li-Ion. They could have saved at least 100 lbs by using modern battery technology.
I found the below in a 2018 article on the subject of Li-Ion vs. NiMH.
On the other hand, Toyota’s all-wheel-drive hybrids, like the 2019 Toyota Prius AWD-e introduced last week at LA, will for the foreseeable future use NiMH—because it can withstand extreme cold far better, and perform better in the cold temps where you’d expect an AWD vehicle to be used.
—————————

Why not make your own turbo kit? Or do the HKS Supercharger on the 2GRFE 3.5L engine. If you want it, only thing holding you back is $$$$.
Well, one pretty good reason not to do that is it voids the powertrain warranty.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts