Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually drain oil without lifting the car. With helper air springs and a new taller drain pan, there isn’t room to remove the plug. I put the front on ramps and noticed that the oil filter spout channels oil into the drain pan without hitting the front crossmember as it does when the car is level. Not a big mess but one more thing to wipe. I guess I’ll be using ramps after doing the first 16 changes level.

Sixto
‘04 LE FWD 200K miles

·
Registered
2006 LE
2,178 Posts
I usually loosen the bung with a wrench to some degree then continue with my fingers holding the bung in at the end of it opening travel then with a coordinated swift acrobatic move , place the catchment container in place while removing the bung completely. I also place old news paper or cardboard pieces under the pan. My drain pan looks like this.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I put down cardboard, if I think of it. Usually, I'm drying up dribbles and wind-spray from the driveway awkwardly with paper towels. I always change the oil on ramps. While I could squeeze in there, I'd rather have the extra space to work. The Sienna has the second-worst spin-on filter location of any car I've owned. It's always messy and there's a high risk of burning yourself on the front exhaust. The worst car had the filter mounted with the open end on a downward angle and it would only come out up through the engine bay. The only option was to pull it up and out, deliberately dumping all the oil all over the block and exhaust manifold. Of course, having properly warmed the car to full operating temp., the manifold was hot, so you then had to finish the job in a cloud of oil smoke.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts