Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I picked up a NextBase 622GW with their hardwire kit and was able to get it installed and wired into the roof console plug for the OEM dash cam. It did require some minor modification of the hardwire kit but beyond that it was super easy. The entire install was about 30 minutes. Check out the OEM instructions for good pictures on how that process works.

Here is my install in photos:

1. Pull down roof console. This required hands on both sides pulling straight down, it is just plastic clips that snap out. It was more force than I expected but nothing broke.
    1. Hand Gesture Finger Vehicle door Thumb
  2. Informational: The wires in the harness are Ground - White w/ Black Stripe, Red - 12V when ignition on, Black - 12V Always On. The white cover on the OEM wiring harness pops off for easier testing access.
    1. Hand Finger Thumb Automotive tire Gas

2. Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Bumper
  3. A 2.54mm Pitch 5 Pin Housing Connector fits perfectly into the OEM wiring harness. So I cut the red and black wires on the NextBase harness, crimped two female ends on and inserted Red into position 1 (12V always on) and Black into 4 (Ground). If you want to power the camera only when the ignition is on push the Red wire into position 2.
    1. Hood Automotive design Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

2. Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Vehicle door
  4. Insert into the OEM harness, it is a snug fit, watch for the blue LED on the power converter on the harness. I used some electrical tape to keep it all in place.
    1. Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior Vehicle Personal luxury car

2. Motor vehicle Light Automotive mirror Vehicle Fixture

(continued in next post due to 10 attachment limit)

Attachments

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
  1. Route the MicroUSB cable through the gap between the headliner and windshield, hook the OEM harness back in place and tuck the sparing adapter wiring in the space around the roof console. There is quite a bit of room to stash it all.
    1. Land vehicle Car Vehicle Hood Light

2. Vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive lighting Grey

3. Tire Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

4. Hood Vehicle Fixture Automotive tire Automotive exterior
  2. Position the camera where you want it and push the roof console back into place.
    1. Automotive mirror Automotive lighting Gadget Hood Communication Device

2. Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Tire Hood

·
Registered
197 Posts
Questions - where did you put the voltage regulator block? Was there enough space around the head console? Not sure how it would do in term of heat.

I love this method as I don't have to access the fuse box and able to put back the fuse box cover. Plus this will look more OEM-ish!

Oh BTW, what are you using for the EZ tag holder? I don't like how mine is sticking out since the suction holder I have doesn't stay under the doted matrices due to the bums.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Heat could be an issue, hopefully not as I'm guessing the camera is pretty low current. I don't have a great picture but the OEM connector is in the passenger front corner of the space. I ran the 12V wires along the passenger side, tucked the 12v to 5v converter in the rear of the space, then have the giant USB cable bundle tucked on the drivers side. There seemed to be the most space to the rear of the overhead console so hopefully nothing gets too hot up there for it.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna Platinum AWD; 2013 Subaru Outback Limited
169 Posts
@EricD Thanks for posting ! The description and pictures are great !

1) You connected the camera power into the always on vs. ignition. Do you have to turn off your camera on/off every time you get in/leave?

2) Does your camera have both a power cable AND a USB cable, and you spliced into the power cable and did not connecct the USB cable? You just kept the USB and tucket it into the overhead, right?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1) I have the camera running in Parking mode, so low power with motion triggered recording.

2) The hardwire kit I linked is 12V in to 5V mini USB out. The DC to DC converter has a low voltage cutoff as well, though I should double check at what voltage it actually cuts off. The only cutting I did was to shorten the 12V in wires and crimp on the pin connectors. The mini USB out just plugs directly into the camera base.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I think I may have found a compatible housing plug. Ordered and waiting to come to test. The part no is HCMPB-A05-S (white) and I got it from Mouser Electronic.

If you look at the pdf, the part looks like an exact match.

Attachments

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think I may have found a compatible housing plug. Ordered and waiting to come to test. The part no is HCMPB-A05-S (white) and I got it from Mouser Electronic.
View attachment 50397

If you look at the pdf, the part looks like an exact match.
!!!! Please let me know. I would love to replace my electrical taped monstrosity with a real mating connector.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I picked up a NextBase 622GW with their hardwire kit and was able to get it installed and wired into the roof console plug for the OEM dash cam. It did require some minor modification of the hardwire kit but beyond that it was super easy. The entire install was about 30 minutes. Check out the OEM instructions for good pictures on how that process works.

Here is my install in photos:

1. Pull down roof console. This required hands on both sides pulling straight down, it is just plastic clips that snap out. It was more force than I expected but nothing broke.
    1. View attachment 50311
  2. Informational: The wires in the harness are Ground - White w/ Black Stripe, Red - 12V when ignition on, Black - 12V Always On. The white cover on the OEM wiring harness pops off for easier testing access.
    1. View attachment 50312
    2. View attachment 50313
  3. A 2.54mm Pitch 5 Pin Housing Connectorfits perfectly into the OEM wiring harness. So I cut the red and black wires on the NextBase harness, crimped two female ends on and inserted Red into position 1 (12V always on) and Black into 4 (Ground). If you want to power the camera only when the ignition is on push the Red wire into position 2.
    1. View attachment 50314
    2. View attachment 50315
  4. Insert into the OEM harness, it is a snug fit, watch for the blue LED on the power converter on the harness. I used some electrical tape to keep it all in place.
    1. View attachment 50316
    2. View attachment 50317

(continued in next post due to 10 attachment limit)
Thank you for sharing this, so details. I did the same for my dashcam but I learned it a hard way. I was trying to split the cigarette lighter plug under the center console and I took everything apart, at the end it was super hard to get into the wire. Then once I pulled out the map light I discovered an unused harness and I ended up tapping into it.

·
Registered
197 Posts
1 - 20 of 50 Posts