Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought 2015 Sienna XLE for $18k, 58k miles. The car is pretty good, only couple of scratches. PPI reveals nothing wrong with the engine, no leaks, etc. I'm planning to do 60k miles service using my indie mechanic. Beside the tune up, oil change, air filter and cabin air filter replacement. Is there anything else I should do? What about changing coolant, brake fluid and transmission oil & transmission filter? Is that necessary? If not, when should I change them? Thanks

P.S. XLE should include driver seat memory, what's wrong with you Toyota? :p

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Maintenance requirements are in the Warranty and Maintenance Guide which you can view online if you don't have a hard copy: https://www.toyota.com/owners/resources/warranty-owners-manuals/sienna/2015

Driver seat memory continues to be optional or in trim packages on all Toyota models except the Land Cruiser on which it is standard. The Limited trim of the Sienna has driver seat memory.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maintenance requirements are in the Warranty and Maintenance Guide which you can view online if you don't have a hard copy: https://www.toyota.com/owners/resources/warranty-owners-manuals/sienna/2015

Driver seat memory continues to be optional or in trim packages on all Toyota models except the Land Cruiser on which it is standard. The Limited trim of the Sienna has driver seat memory.
Thanks for the manual links. I read the maintenance schedule. I can see replacing coolant will be on 100k and 50k thereafter. However, there's no mention of replacing the transmission oil on the regular scheduled maintenance. I only see it as additional maintenance items on 60k if you are towing. There's no mention of replacing the brake fluid either.

·
Registered
201 Posts
not much you need to do other than basics you mentioned. I just hit 60k a while back and didnt bother with anything other than oil and rotation. I did my brake fluid around 50k and 3 years due to moisture over time vs. mileage.

I think most modern Toyotas have seal tranny fluid so not intented to be changed unless major overhaul.

plugs and radiator fluid would probably be closer to 100k.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sure they tell you that tranny fluid lasts for a lifetime. What they mean is that it lasts for the lifetime of the warranty. :)

I would do something with the tranny fluid, even if it's a quick drain and fill without removing the pan.

A minivan is pretty much the heaviest FWD vehicle out there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sure they tell you that tranny fluid lasts for a lifetime. What they mean is that it lasts for the lifetime of the warranty. :)

I would do something with the tranny fluid, even if it's a quick drain and fill without removing the pan.

A minivan is pretty much the heaviest FWD vehicle out there.
Thanks, do you change the transmission filter as well when you drain and fill?

·
Registered
201 Posts
it’s more of a partial flush and fill. Since you only can remove about 1/3 of the fluid from draining. The problem is making sure you measure the exact amount you remove and then put back in n

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well at least change the radiator fluid with orginal fluid. My wafer water pump broke down at 85K was expensive repair. Was because if fluid the pump broke. Advice. Timing change needs no replacement till 150 to 200K.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just did 60k service at dealer. Based on inspection, in addition to manual's regular maintenance recommendations, they recommended replacing brake fluid, fuel injection cleaning, fuel induction carbon cleaning, and the stupid thing chews through brakes every 30-50k. Though probably unnecessary, I am having them do the injection and carbon cleaning, I think around $400 in central MD.

Transmission fluid: dealer recommended 100k for a flush. Though again, a lot of money, it is a complete replacement and flush rather than the partial draining by just pulling the plug. More details. If you were going to pay a repair shop, I would check what they would do. It is a rather complex change process with fluid at specific temperatures.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had the transmission fluid drained and flushed by a mechanic which included the filter. It was a couple hundred to do. If I had it to do again, I'd just drain it myself a few times over a month and save the expense.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts