Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
He said someone at the dealership “made a mistake” that he is trying to fix.
Did he imply (or even say) that your van arrived from the factory correctly and that the mistake someone at the dealership made was to swap your seats between two vans? If so I'd try and get that in writing in an email or something similar.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Did he imply (or even say) that your van arrived from the factory correctly and that the mistake someone at the dealership made was to swap your seats between two vans? If so I'd try and get that in writing in an email or something similar.
He implied that but he will never put that in writing. It’s not hard to figure that out between the lines. My plan is if they want to play hard ball I will go through Toyota corporate.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Well, if you've corresponded via email then I'd at least put that in writing back to him which (if true) would mean he either ignores it (thus confirming it) or explicitly denies it (thus putting a new lie in writing, something he's presumably rather not do if this might one day make it's way up the chain.

Basically, i'd follow up with a recap of your conversation.

"I understand from our conversation that my van arrived from the factory with the correct ottoman seats and that it was a mistake at the dealership that caused the seats to be switched with non-ottoman seats from another vehicle. As such it does seem like something that would be better handled at the dealership level rather than with Toyota Corporate as we would do if this were a factory/assembly mistake. I'm open to doing that but I'd like to make sure that happens very soon.​
Perhaps we could reverse the error by again swapping these seats with the ottoman seats from another vehicle and then either selling that vehicle as being non-ottoman seats or hanging onto it until the parts are available." etc etc.​

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Since you are obviously dealing with an out of control or sleazy dealership that can't control it's employees or maybe was even in on the deception, my suggestion is to undo the entire deal and get your trade-in back. Then go get a Sienna from another dealership. If you've had second thoughts about what you want in the vehicle, this would give you an opportunity to rectify that. You might even find a better deal financially somewhere else.

·
Registered
Toyota Sienna 2021 AWD Platinum
511 Posts
Just talked to the sales manager in person this morning. I stopped by to make sure I can get a straight answer out of him. He said someone at the dealership “made a mistake” that he is trying to fix. The person who made that mistake is no longer with the company so he is the one trying to make it right. Long story short, he said he couldn’t get the parts because it is on back order. The only 2 options I have is 1) find a replacement vehicle or 2) undo the entire deal since my trade in is still on the lot. That being said. I can confirm that this is a dealership issue and not corporate.
Looks like there's more to the story than my assumption earlier that it was a mistake at Factory. Sorry about that.

As it has been stated multiple times here already, more than one person at the dealership had to go out of their way to make the switch. Has anyone told you if the car arrived at the dealership with the Ottomans, and someone there made the actual switch? That's just bizarre unless someone does it on their last day of work.

Or did someone fat-fingered your customized order with non-ottoman seats and that's how Toyota built it and delivered it? However, the window sticker says Ottomans so probably not.

I can see how finding parts can be difficult, but not impossible. If they are cooperative and just asking for more time, see if they can give you something extra to make up for the mistakes at the the dealership. Giving you free High mark-up items such as parts, service contracts, or extended warranty can be a reasonable way out for both parties. Limiteds are relatively hard to find so that definitely muddies up the options a lot. Once someone has driven this van, giving it up and waiting for another one to come up would cause me a good amount of heartburn ;).

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'd like to point out that each trim level has its own unique seat material:
LE: Gray Cloth
XLE: Chateau SofTex or Graphite SofTex
XSE: Gray Flannel with Moonstone SofTex or Gray Flannel with Black SofTex
Limited: Chateau Leather or Graphite Leather
Platinum: Noble Brown Leather

This means the only way for a dealer to swap seats is from one of the same trim level so that the interior will still match afterwards.
It's pretty straightforward according to the online brochure and the configurator that Front Wheel Drive Limiteds and Platinums come with ottomans and All Wheel Drive Limiteds and Platinums do not. There is no choice, option, or otherwise special choice. FWD gets ottomans, AWD does not.

I'm assuming the dealer had a Limited AWD arrive and the customer really wanted the ottomans so they swapped seats from the matching color/material interior from Tacomapasu's Limited FWD.

This also means that there is a Limited AWD now out in the wild with ottomans "dealer installed."
This could be very interesting for Toyota Corporate since the reason AWDs do not have the ottomans is (I believe) due to overall vehicle weight. Now this could be a fuel economy certification thing, or more importantly a maximum weight limit for some federal certification or similar.
Either way, I bet corporate would be very interested in this situation for the reason of (1st) making Tacomapasu satisfied to receive what he paid for as well as (2nd) why this other non-available van configuration, potentially in violation of some law or certification was created.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I'd like to point out that each trim level has its own unique seat material:
LE: Gray Cloth
XLE: Chateau SofTex or Graphite SofTex
XSE: Gray Flannel with Moonstone SofTex or Gray Flannel with Black SofTex
Limited: Chateau Leather or Graphite Leather
Platinum: Noble Brown Leather

This means the only way for a dealer to swap seats is from one of the same trim level so that the interior will still match afterwards.
It's pretty straightforward according to the online brochure and the configurator that Front Wheel Drive Limiteds and Platinums come with ottomans and All Wheel Drive Limiteds and Platinums do not. There is no choice, option, or otherwise special choice. FWD gets ottomans, AWD does not.

I'm assuming the dealer had a Limited AWD arrive and the customer really wanted the ottomans so they swapped seats from the matching color/material interior from Tacomapasu's Limited FWD.

This also means that there is a Limited AWD now out in the wild with ottomans "dealer installed."
This could be very interesting for Toyota Corporate since the reason AWDs do not have the ottomans is (I believe) due to overall vehicle weight. Now this could be a fuel economy certification thing, or more importantly a maximum weight limit for some federal certification or similar.
Either way, I bet corporate would be very interested in this situation for the reason of (1st) making Tacomapasu satisfied to receive what he paid for as well as (2nd) why this other non-available van configuration, potentially in violation of some law or certification was created.
If the switch really happened at the dealership as it seems like, than I would think it is some sort of crime and/or breach-of-contract to modify a brand new vehicle that doesn't match the window sticker. Any changes to window sticker like rust protection etc. are spelled out on a work-order/purchase order that's signed by both parties. Anything else like this is stealing! I think OP has a lot more leverage here. The dealer might be trying to save his/her skin by switching the vehicle, or by undoing the whole Trade + Transaction. I would still try to bring in Toyota Caproate too as they would be mad as hell too if dealers start messing with cars such way that makes their window stickers useless.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Updating everyone. The dealership is offering $3500 refund for my purchase to make it right. Should I take it?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I mean personally I'd really want the Ottomans if i was sacrificing AWD, but it's up to you. I would wait for a replacement car with the specs i paid for in my situation, and demand a swap. If you escalate with Toyota Corporate, you may be able to get one sooner.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I’d call Toyota Corporate and hang the dealer out to dry. They F’d up big time. There is no valid excuse on their part for that move. Tell them it will cost them $10k for you to not call Toyota.

-Mike

·
Registered
261 Posts
Updating everyone. The dealership is offering $3500 refund for my purchase to make it right. Should I take it?
Maybe counteroffer that the $3500 is for your troubles and then add on the cost of parts and labor to put ottomans back in with the understanding that once the parts are available you'll spend that money with the dealer to get them put back in. Put a time limit on it that if they can't get the parts within six months you're welcome to either keep that money or spend it elsewhere to fix the problem. I think in a thread elsewhere it was estimated that the parts and labor to add ottomans to an AWD was a couple thousand dollars but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I think in a thread elsewhere it was estimated that the parts and labor to add ottomans to an AWD was a couple thousand dollars but I'm not sure.
Just under $400 per seat, so $800 total plus labor for install as shown in the thread below (the couple thousand dollar threads were probably about putting a spare tire into a van delivered with just the inflator kit). I still don't understand why the OP isn't just asking them to place the parts order and to do the install once parts eventually come off back order, though.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Just under $400 per seat, so $800 total plus labor for install as shown in the thread below (the couple thousand dollar threads were probably about putting a spare tire into a van delivered with just the inflator kit). I still don't understand why the OP isn't just asking them to place the parts order and to do the install once parts eventually come off back order, though.

Thanks for the link. I wouldn't accept just the parts order from the dealer. I'd at the very least insist on receiving more than enough cash in hand to implement the fix just to make sure the dealer was motivated to fix it for me (otherwise the parts could just stay "on back order" forever). But in this case I actually think that there's a reasonable claim for some compensation. I wouldn't be neutral between some subsequently-terminated employee sneaking my seats out and other seats in versus having the correct factory-installed equipment never tampered with in the first place. Not to mention all the run-around the OP's been given when they should just be out enjoying their very expensive new purchase.

In any case I suspect the dealer's pretty motivated to make the problem go away -- it sounds like a pretty serious breach of standards.

·
Registered
887 Posts
The OP has the upper hand here. It will cost the dealer FAR MORE with Toyota than pretty much any sum they give the OP probably up to and including just giving them the van for free. IMHO, demanding $10k says I know what you did but I’m not asking for the world. It also gives OP enough to add the Ottomans and have some $$$ left to enjoy for their trouble.

After it’s settled, I would of course never do business at this dealer ever again (unless maybe ownership and all management changes). So, OP shouldn’t commit to spending money there again.

-Mike

·
Registered
261 Posts
After it’s settled, I would of course never do business at this dealer ever again (unless maybe ownership and all management changes). So, OP shouldn’t commit to spending money there again.

-Mike
That's actually an excellent point. I wouldn't want to have my vehicle back in their clutches, not just because they're shady but because you can't be sure they wouldn't cause some other problem to let them recoup the payment.

·
Registered
511 Posts

A little bit of a different angle on what it would cost ($2650+).

I have similar opinion as others. If the dealer is offering $3500, he/she is willing spend at lest 3-5 times as much. However, if the OP's forte is not in to dealing with dealers, it may not be as easy as it sounds. OP can involve lawyers and Toyota but it would just extend the timeline. If OP wants things done "Formal - Right" way, Toyota + Lawyers is the only option. If OP wants to make the best of it and have some time on hand to take on the extra headaches, I say ask for 15K, Settle for 10K, but be willing to loose all extra $$ if the Dealer's lawyers stretch it out over months and years.

p.s. Don't think much about what I have to say ;). Last time I set my foot in a lawyer's office was to get married over 11 years ago. I am still suffering j/k ;).

p.s. Dealer and his Lawyers are reading this post too ;)

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
That's totally up to you. Is your "soul" worth $3,500?

We haven't found the ottomans to be as useful as we thought we would be. The leg rests can be difficult or impossible to extend and retract by low strength people and those not familiar with how they operate. The really need to be power operated like the ones on an upcoming competing van.

One potential problem you could have could arise when you are finished with the vehicle and wish to sell or trade it in on another vehicle. Dealers and individuals might expect and want the ottomans and you could end up trying to explain away the problem over and over and even find the vehicle difficult or impossible to trade in or sell.

My advise is still to undo the entire deal, get your trade-in back and get the Sienna you want from another, hopefully more honest, dealership.

Regardless of what you do, I suggest that you open a problem ticket with Toyota corporate and give them the VIN of this problem Sienna. I wouldn't expect Toyota corporate to give you any assistance in resolving this problem since they will likely only tell you that their dealerships are independent businesses. They certainly aren't going to get in the middle of a fraud.

·
Registered
511 Posts
AFTER Confirming, and double and triple checking, that the switch was done at the dealership:

If the OP does nothing but just tip off a local reporter, these guys will be on local news. Everyone who has bought from them recently will start wondering if their cars had parts switched on them. Their sales will be flooded with calls people asking about it.

It will cost them thousands and thousands of dollars in PR and lost sales. This is the kind of stuff a greedy lawyer dreams off! (Not implying all lawyers are greedy).

I say play it wisely. You have nothing to loose other than those damn fluffy Ottomans ;)

41 - 60 of 76 Posts