Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Just under $400 per seat, so $800 total plus labor for install as shown in the thread below (the couple thousand dollar threads were probably about putting a spare tire into a van delivered with just the inflator kit). I still don't understand why the OP isn't just asking them to place the parts order and to do the install once parts eventually come off back order, though.

They refused to do it. Claiming they don't know when the parts will be available and that they don't want to drag this out.

·
Registered
202 Posts
They refused to do it. Claiming they don't know when the parts will be available and that they don't want to drag this out.
I hear ya, but my response to them if they’d said those same words to me would’ve been something like, “I really don’t give a flying F what you do and don’t want. You’re gonna order the seats and you’re gonna put them into my van and you’re gonna give me the spec I paid for. Now, what’s the order number on the parts you requested so I can track it?”

Basically, they’re in no position to negotiate and you have all the leverage. Use it.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I'd agree with the above suggestion to ask for $15k, settle for $10k. Express to them that you want to make sure you have enough cash to either get the fix done eventually or, if you're not able to, to compensate for the possibility that when you go to sell the car it's significantly less valuable because of the fishy story you'll have to tell about why it doesn't have the factory specified equipment and the caveat you'll have to make when listing it for sale. And that if they can't do that then you're inclined to seek a solution from Toyota corporate.

·
Registered
18 Posts
What a mess. Sorry it has to be this way.

Keep advocating for yourself, your expectation, the choice you made to buy with them and how this could really go south fast for them.

If you have purchased a few cars with them in the past, that ought to be more than enough shared experience to warrant more from them. You've been loyal and they are throwing that away.

·
Registered
6 Posts
... Everyone who has bought from them recently will start wondering if their cars had parts switched on them. Their sales will be flooded with calls people asking about it...
👆 This right here is an interesting and true take. Hardly anyone (dealership employee or customer) really knows the true options/configuration rules.
Remember the earlier statement from the salesperson "Ottomans in a Limited is a no-cost option, some do, some don't" Complete BS or lack of knowledge.

Example: I thought I remember talk on this forum about Limiteds having Rain Sensing Wipers...the online brochure says in two separate places only Platinums have this feature.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'd also point out the safety aspect involved here: Side Impact Airbags integrated into the middle row Captains Chairs. (Not the side curtains I'm talking about, but an airbag hidden in the side bolster of the actual seat, just like in the front row.)
It is my understanding that this is the reason the middle row seats are "not removable." There is a wiring harness connected to these seats to trigger the airbag to ignite. There is also a protocol to follow when servicing any airbag components, of which disconnecting and connecting this wiring harness would qualify. This involves disconnecting the 12V battery and then wait 10+ minutes for the system to power down, etc... before touching the wiring harness. Not something Toyota could reasonably expect a typical owner to do when in a hurry to load and go.

Now obviously there are technicians at the dealer that are trained and certified to "service and replace" airbag equipped components. But, the question might be, who, actually performed this supposed swap. Was it one of the certified technicians?? (the airbag control system computer should illuminate the airbag warning light on the dash if anything is amiss)

·
Registered
2021 Sienna Limited FWD
102 Posts
I’d say delete post. Get lawyer, sue for selling a car with incorrect information on the window sticker. tell Toyota corporate and escalate every way. News station. Tell them they offered you money, because they did an illegal sale. Don’t take any money unless your okay with the vehicle in it’s current condition.

·
Registered
Toyota Sienna 2021 AWD Platinum
511 Posts
👆 This right here is an interesting and true take. Hardly anyone (dealership employee or customer) really knows the true options/configuration rules.
Remember the earlier statement from the salesperson "Ottomans in a Limited is a no-cost option, some do, some don't" Complete BS or lack of knowledge.

Example: I thought I remember talk on this forum about Limiteds having Rain Sensing Wipers...the online brochure says in two separate places only Platinums have this feature.
Exactly!

If you don't know what you might be missing, your imagination runs wild. With one confirmed seat switch (should I say Steal), people may wonder if their cars were messed with too. Ex. tires or rims or may be the radio.... With right people speaking out, It can snowball in to some wondering if their pricey performance car like Supra or 90K Land Cruiser had been messed with too.

I think dealer may be playing a hardball because he/she really wishes this deal can be undone and pretend it never happened. The legal avenue if pursued can be very costly for the dealer. The worst case scenario for the OP is that the van is missing Ottomans. That's not a whole lot in the grand schema.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Exactly!

If you don't know what you might be missing, your imagination runs wild. With one confirmed seat switch (should I say Steal), people may wonder if their cars were messed with too. Ex. tires or rims or may be the radio.... With right people speaking out, It can snowball in to some wondering if their pricey performance car like Supra or 90K Land Cruiser had been messed with too.

I think dealer may be playing a hardball because he/she really wishes this deal can be undone and pretend it never happened. The legal avenue if pursued can be very costly for the dealer. The worst case scenario for the OP is that the van is missing Ottomans. That's not a whole lot in the grand schema.
To me safety for my family is the most important thing. I checked the airbag system this morning and the indicator lights are all working properly. I don't believe the airbag system is jeopardized but I may be wrong. That's what I care about the most.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
I'd also point out the safety aspect involved here: Side Impact Airbags integrated into the middle row Captains Chairs. (Not the side curtains I'm talking about, but an airbag hidden in the side bolster of the actual seat, just like in the front row.)
It is my understanding that this is the reason the middle row seats are "not removable." There is a wiring harness connected to these seats to trigger the airbag to ignite. There is also a protocol to follow when servicing any airbag components, of which disconnecting and connecting this wiring harness would qualify. This involves disconnecting the 12V battery and then wait 10+ minutes for the system to power down, etc... before touching the wiring harness. Not something Toyota could reasonably expect a typical owner to do when in a hurry to load and go.

Now obviously there are technicians at the dealer that are trained and certified to "service and replace" airbag equipped components. But, the question might be, who, actually performed this supposed swap. Was it one of the certified technicians?? (the airbag control system computer should illuminate the airbag warning light on the dash if anything is amiss)
I checked this morning and the airbag warning light on the dash is working properly.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna Limited FWD
102 Posts
I checked this morning and the airbag warning light on the dash is working properly.
I’d say take it to another dealer and tell them look, I need you to look at my car, tell them about what your concerns are about the airbag system due to a change in seats. If you can do this without the dealer contacting the other dealer, and they come back with something, you have even more of a case.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I’d say take it to another dealer and tell them look, I need you to look at my car, tell them about what your concerns are about the airbag system due to a change in seats. If you can do this without the dealer contacting the other dealer, and they come back with something, you have even more of a case.
And who knows, maybe the other dealer is far more willing and able to place an order for the ottoman parts.

·
Registered
202 Posts
The ottoman can be replaced and installed without removing the entire seat. I'm unsure this is a valid test or concern.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The ottoman can be replaced and installed without removing the entire seat. I'm unsure this is a valid test or concern.
I would expect everything from the airbag aspect to be fine, I just wanted to point the fact out.
If the airbag light on the dash does not remain illuminated, the system should be functioning properly.

Best of luck tomorrow.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts