Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this common issue? Van is at the dealer for 10k service plus some concerns for the second row seats. Passenger second row when we pull the recliner lever the seat folds but doesn't slide. Is this normal? The driver slides after the lever is pulled. Dealer is saying that it is normal. We don't have another sienna to look at.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
You’re lucky, neither my passenger nor driver slides independent at all. It’s my only complaint about these vans. I have an XLE and an LE and they behave the same. It’s a horrible design.
So when fold up the 2nd row seats they don't slide?

Ours can slide but if we fold up and slide back they will slide forward when braking. Think have to unfold a bit to keep in place??

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

At 3min mark where she pulls the lever and it slides. If yours don't do this something is wrong and my local toyota says there nothing wrong with it. Can somebody confirm if the passenger side allow you to do this too? Or does somebody from the 3rd gen reading this might know what cables to fix? Gonna pick up the van soon today actually from the dealer got a call earlier and they said it is normal.

·
Registered
60 Posts

At 3min mark where she pulls the lever and it slides. If yours don't do this something is wrong and my local toyota says there nothing wrong with it. Can somebody confirm if the passenger side allow you to do this too? Or does somebody from the 3rd gen reading this might know what cables to fix? Gonna pick up the van soon today actually from the dealer got a call earlier and they said it is normal.
Mine doesn’t function like that. Neither of them do. However, mine are both 21s, and not Canadian. No idea if either of those is relevant.

·
Premium Member
1,022 Posts
Is this common issue? Van is at the dealer for 10k service plus some concerns for the second row seats. Passenger second row when we pull the recliner lever the seat folds but doesn't slide. Is this normal? The driver slides after the lever is pulled. Dealer is saying that it is normal. We don't have another sienna to look at.
Maybe it's new normal 🤪. In my Sienna, when you fully tilt the back of the 2nd row seat forward, the seat does slide without having to pull any other levers/handles. That's how I used to slide it when the cable, connecting the square handle to the sliding mechanism, was broken. I cannot say for sure whether the seat would still slide if you only tilted the back partially, not all the way forward

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Have LE FWD 8P.

In 2nd row middle seat is removed.

Just tested now.
Slid both seats fully back and when lift lever the seat bottom angles up and can slide seat forward. Once slide forward it locks there.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Maybe it's new normal 🤪. In my Sienna, when you fully tilt the back of the 2nd row seat forward, the seat does slide without having to pull any other levers/handles. That's how I used to slide it when the cable, connecting the square handle to the sliding mechanism, was broken. I cannot say for sure whether the seat would still slide if you only tilted the back partially, not all the way forward
On ours it only slides if tilt fully. Presumably so someone in 3rd row can lift 2nd row seat lever and slide it forward so can exit.

Wouldn't make sense to slide when just tilt partially as someone adjusting back while vehicle in motion would not want seat to slide. The weight of the person should keep the seat bottom down and hence not allow full tilt and slide.

·
Registered
2014 Sienna LE
608 Posts
Or does somebody from the 3rd gen reading this might know what cables to fix?
You mean 4th gen?

As far as 4th gen goes, I don't own one but quickly checked the 2021, 2022, and 2023 owner's manuals. All three are exactly the same. Pull the reclining lever up. The seat should fold forward, and the seat cushion will come up too. Then the seat can be slid forward for rear access. This is the same way my 3rd gen (2014) 8 passenger model works too. Couple of my thoughts:
  • If the seat doesn't tilt forward all the way, or the seat cushion doesn't come up, I don't think it's going to slide either. Do both of these happen on both sides? If not, is one or the other just a bit sticky and if you assist it to move as it should, does the seat free up and slide forward?
  • There's a strap on the rear of the seat to allow a 3rd row passenger to recline the 2nd row seats to exit the vehicle. If you pull that strap, does it behave any differently that pulling the recline lever? If so, something is broken and needs to be fixed.
White Font Line Parallel Line art

Mine doesn’t function like that. Neither of them do. However, mine are both 21s, and not Canadian. No idea if either of those is relevant.
US owner manual for the 2021 implies a 1-step fold and slide process, as indicated in the manual posted above and seen in the video (and how my 2014 works too). The manual doesn't say you have to both recline the seat up and then use the position lever to slide it after that. Also seems odd they'd change behavior that's been in use in their vans for so long, since I suspect this was the case through the entire 3rd gen (2nd gen had tumble seats instead of the tilt forward and slide).

·
Registered
2014 Sienna LE
608 Posts
My 3rd gen seat operation, now in video format, which lines up with how I read the 4th gen owner's manual's description of seat operation, and lines up with the video from the Toyota dealer posted earlier.

Quick edit to add: If you're a passenger in the 3rd row, it works the same, only there's also a strap in the rear that does the same job as pulling the recline lever, so the passenger in the 3rd row doesn't have to try to reach around to the recline lever on the side of the seat to move the seat forward to exit the vehicle.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you for the videos.

So I did everything you did in the videos and the driver is working as it should. Passenger side I've come to a conclusion that the seat cushion is stuck in the seating position. It will not unfold it self any way I try. The seat does slide back and forth only if I use the seating position lever. I believe it has something to do with the seating mechanism.

With either the strap or lever pulled the seat will ONLY recline. Cushion is the defect as it will not unlock itself like the driver side. Hope that answer your question.

Dealer won't help. Only if these were easier to take off I'd do myself.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I fixed it.

Cushion was on the locked down position. Route cause was a cable that had come off the cable stay bracket. I believe promotion from this is the all whether floor mats catching on the plastic trim causing it to rip off pulling the cables off as well. Yes we are also having issue with the all whether floor mats catching the seats lower trim pieces.

See photo of the red plastic cable

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts