Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

41 - 60 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
When I went on a Friday, by the next day on Saturday, they stated that they drove my Sienna and determined the transmission was bad, and started the process with Toyota to release a new updated one via Warranty. Some people in the forum have said a software update resolved thier issue. I am curious as to what the dealer will decide for you.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
yeah I am curious too since it only has 21k on it. My service advisor has been awsome and has kept me informed the whole time. Apparently toyota is having a ton of drivability issues with the 8 speeds from what I have been reading. I do not want to give up on the van but we shall see.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
well I guess it is not that far off then.. LOL I have to laugh. In all fairness though it is the first year for this trans in this van... I am trying to be positive but I think I will be looking for a new car.. LOL

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
so an update.... still waiting on word of the transmission. It may be wiring between the tcm and pcm

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
yes they are taking an extremely long itme which is not a bad thing as long as it is fixed.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
saga continues... transmission is physically fine..they are thinking engine misfire on cylinder 1 and 2. They want to keep it and check and see when it shifts.. great lol

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
They can’t seem to find the underlying issue causing the history codes or the sluggishness. We are going sat to test drive a 2020 to see if we are feeling the same issues.

they can’t get permission from Toyota to change anything out right now. The dealer is really working with us...and really trying to make us happy. We told them we will take it back since we have a college trip for my son and they basically said ... don’t do that as we don’t want you getting an issue. I think at this point its not the dealer

we might just let it go and get a hybrid like the Rav 4.My wife does not want to be a beta tester for the 2021

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Personally I think it’s the computer. It’s probably loosing communication intermittent ly... like a bad cat 5 run for those that know computers

·
Registered
96 Posts
Amazing the difference in service. On the same day I dropped of my van, they called me to tell me a tech drove the car and noticed the transmission was bad, and started the process with Toyota to get them to release a replacement transmission.

I'm sorry this is taking so long for you. Curious if the 2020 feels the same way. Did you buy this Van from the same dealer?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Yeah me too.. I have no problem taking it out and seeing if it is the same thing.. my service advisor was telling me to stay away from anything with the 3.5 and the 8 speed... Yes I bought this van right off there showroom floor from this dealer. they are and have been good to me so I give them business .. only one that I have found in my neck of the woods here in new york state that is somewhat honest.
I should have bought the dang 2016

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yeah, me too, I should have stuck with the reviews of the 2017+ and the 8 Speed. Funny, how when you are in the lot and you see the car, it's funny how you say to yourself, "nah, it's not that bad" during the 5 minute test drive. The excitement of owning the vehicle and the fact that you are there and don't want to leave without your new vehicle... And then reality sets in just days later, when actually driving the van and experiencing the sluggish shift. Yup that's what happened to me.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Yeah i know the feeling.. i am just happy that i owe less then what it is worth. I would love to see the 2021 but I think that it will be too heavy for the hybrid system.. If I trade it I will go towards a RAV4 hybrid since I can still get my family in and the cargo room is good. I liked the look of the van better but I learned my lesson..

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hmmm... has the dealer given you an offer to trade the Sienna in?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
No not at this moment. We are going over on sat to look. If they give me a good offer I will most likely take it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Well the 2020 was not as laggy as ours. We got 21k for ours and ending up trading it on a highlander hybrid xle.
The 2020 was just not worth it. While the amenities were there, the tech was not simply because they are releasing the 2021 as I was told.
I can tell you this though. The hybrid drivetrain moves this highlander with authority, and was the reason why we chose it. On top of that we are getting 27mpg just with the 60 miles we have driven so far. If Toyota uses this hybrid drive train in the 2021 sienna, it will solve the problems and get greater fuel economy. If you must have the minivan wait till the 2021 or 2022

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thank you. I have been wondering how the hybrid drivetrain compares to the 8 Speed. Many folks here on this forum question the power of the 4 Cylinder vs the 6 Cylinder but if you say this makes the vehicle really move, then that settles it. I may have to trade mine in for the 2021 Sienna.

41 - 60 of 92 Posts