Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
From what I understand it is a different version of the software that drives the transmission shifts. So while it may not be different physically, the TCM might be different hardware wise in order to run the revised software .

·
Registered
53 Posts
I’d go to a different dealer and verify. It could be that mechanically they are the same but could be a new different Transmission Control Unit.
I agree with hangman. 2nd and maybe 3rd opinion. IMHO if a dealership (or any of us for that matter) can sweep something under the rug they (we:oops:) will. Good luck.

·
Registered
53 Posts
And when you go to a 2nd or 3rd dealership don't say anything about visiting the 1st dealership about your concern.
Businesses have protocol and standards but individuals running businesses sometimes have their own take on things.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm not sure if I want to keep going through the hassle. But thanks for your input. Maybe down the road. At least they didn't charge me.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm not sure if I want to keep going through the hassle. But thanks for your input. Maybe down the road. At least they didn't charge me.
View attachment 47163
The dealer should be able to look up what software your transmission or ECU is currently using and tell you. They are gate keepers regarding this issue. You need to be a pain and complain to get this update. The service tech was pretty cool at my dealership. After a lot of debate I told him to hop in and let's go for a ride. During the test ride I would coast at low speeds, press the gas pedal and tell him when I was doing so, "pressing now" and then he could feel the lag and delayed response. He agreed it wasnt right...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am looking to buy a 2015+ Sienna AWD - either XLE or Limited. Budget constraints say that that really means 2015 - 2017. I was excited by the 8-speed and 30 more horsepower in the 2017. Can I trust that everyone here will tell me to get a 2015 or 2016 and forget the 2017? Do the shifting problems occur across all trim levels and in FWD and AWD models?
Thanks!

·
Registered
96 Posts
If you can go with prior to 2017, I would do that. I had wished I had done that. The 8 Speed feels sluggish especially during the first couple of gears. Having said that, I was able to get 30 MPG once on a 23 mile drive, and recently, got 28 MPG on a 250 mile trip even with the AWD model. The 8 Speed allows you to get slightly better MPG, but it's at the cost of performance. Those extra 30 HP, feels more like they removed 100 HP.

If you do decide to get a 2017, DEFINITELY test drive it first. And if you can't stand it, there is a TSB article on the transmission. I had to get mine replaced.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks Captain! What's a TSB article?
A little more reading shows me that some people get a software update with mixed results. Any opinions on that?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Technical Service Bulliten. It's when a manufacturer knows about an issue, but is not severe enough for a recall.

Some people got the software update. When I went in, the Dealer declared my transmission bad and replaced it under warranty. It's definitely better than before, but I still feel that Toyota's programming makes it sluggish. It's possible you can get used to it, really pressing the pedal more than you would normally do on a different vehicle.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Technical Service Bulliten. It's when a manufacturer knows about an issue, but is not severe enough for a recall.

Some people got the software update. When I went in, the Dealer declared my transmission bad and replaced it under warranty. It's definitely better than before, but I still feel that Toyota's programming makes it sluggish. It's possible you can get used to it, really pressing the pedal more than you would normally do on a different vehicle.
I had the tsb/transaxle swap done on my 17SE made 2/17. They wouldn’t do the software update and the transaxle swap simultaneously. I had to drive it for 1k miles and then go back in and then they did the software update. The car was noticeably more responsive off the line after the software update.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I am looking to buy a 2015+ Sienna AWD - either XLE or Limited. Budget constraints say that that really means 2015 - 2017. I was excited by the 8-speed and 30 more horsepower in the 2017. Can I trust that everyone here will tell me to get a 2015 or 2016 and forget the 2017? Do the shifting problems occur across all trim levels and in FWD and AWD models?
Thanks!
The 6 speed transmission is more linear and responsive. Foot of the gas and then back on, the transmission re-engages quickly and accurately. Same scenario, with the new 8 speed transmission there is a hesitation as the transmission searches for the correct gear and then re-engages. It’s more noticeable in the low end and in around town driving situations because that is when u want that instant response. I decided to go 19 AWD LE. No regrets. I test drove a bunch of 17 on up low mile siennas. With COVID just hitting when I was about to buy it was easy. The dealerships around me would hand me the keys and send me off alone to torture their cars. Ha! I even had an 18 AWD from Carvana that arrived with some body damage so I wound up returning it. To some extent the 17’s on up all have some delay. The 18’s and newer feel more responsive off the line I think because they have the newest software. I like the extra horsepower, the better gas mileage, and I do like having the 18 on up added safety sense-p which includes Automatic High Beams, Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection, Lane Departure Alert with Steering Assist, and Dynamic Radar Cruise Control on all trim levels. The 8 speed requires you to “drive the car” a bit more. I’m okay with the delay and letting the car get there so to speak. Oh yeah, no difference in the AWD versus FWD and the delay. I did chose AWD because I like the way it accelerates and feels hooked up compared to a FWD. Off the line there is less of a squat and then go type feeling my FWD SE had. My two cents...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello: New to the forum here as I'm shopping for an used 2015+ Sienna, looking at market availability and price, definitely notice a jump in availability and a dip in price for the 2017s comparing against 2016s and 2018s. So was the 8-speed transmission problem that bad? Are ALL 2017 Sienna affected by this problem and their transmission have to be reprogrammed and/or replaced? How prevalent is the transmission problem on the 2017s?

81 - 92 of 92 Posts