Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We picked up a Limited Premium with Advanced Tech Pkg- the finance salesman recommended this extended Toyota Platinum warranty because of all the electronics in the car. Since van and its electronics have been out since 2011, I didn't know if the extended warranty was worth it or not. I figured that it is a solid Japanese car and all the electrical gremlins should be found in the first 3 years. I don't know what are the most common long term issues with 3rd gen Siennas are. MSRP is $2500 and we went down to $1640. (Not sure if this is a good or avg deal, but we were told that we can cancel it within 45 days.) We plan to keep the van until it dies. Should I keep the extended warranty or cancel it? Thanks!

·
Registered
36 Posts
First, if it’s not an OEM/Toyota warranty, I absolutely would not get it or would cancel it. Second, you do not have to buy a Toyota extended warranty from the dealer that sold you your car. Another Toyota dealer may offer a better deal. Third, on average most owners will not realize any return or savings on an extended warranty. They are a profit package for the dealer. They know what the average repair costs for the extended period are and they price the extended warranty (repair insurance) accordingly. Finally, in 2003 I purchased a 7 year/100,000 mile Honda Care warranty for our then new Odyssey for $900. 100,000 miles came in five years. After over 12 years and 251,000 miles, our total repair costs have been less than $1,500, none of which were covered by the original or extended warranty.
Just my $.02, YMMV.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Have owned a number of Toyota vehicles in the past without purchasing an extended warranty and this is my second sienna. Had an 05 LTD that accrued 194K miles that only needed regular oil change and timing belt change. 100K for a Toyota is nothing and like Neo Fender stated, by the time you need repairs, your repairs will not be covered by your extended warranty.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wow, just purchased 2015 Limited Premium with the advanced technology package as well. I had to special order this rare bird and now here you are with one too!

Neo is correct this is simply an insurance policy. It may be that you will not be able to get the value of the warranty in all cases.

I had an extended warranty on my 2004 Sienna. I saw some distinct advantaged. (1) Most important I feel is that dealers are more than happy to go over your car with a fine tooth comb if you have the extended warranty. They get paid to fix even the smallest of repairs and it does not cost you any more than you already paid for the warranty. You get a car that is maintained to the highest of levels, whereas without the warranty you might of held off on a repair, (2) Loaner cars are nice, (3) Peace of mind and you essentially have a cap you have already paid for repairs for the warranty period.

I got my value out of my 2004 Sienna for sure and I am most definitely purchasing one for my 2015 Sienna Limited Premium with Advanced Technology Package. There are so many bells and whistles on this van I personally feel it is a good bet to purchase the extended warranty.

I have found a dealer in Louisiana that has offered the 8 year / 100k mile, $0 deductible Toyota Platinum warranty for $1,255.

PM me if you want more details and I am happy to share.

Rawlins

·
Registered
86 Posts
You already have a 3 year, 36,000 mile warranty already, wait until that expires then if desired shop around and I'd bet you can find one that will extend to 100,000 mile/7 years for around $1200.00....

·
Registered
58 Posts
You already have a 3 year, 36,000 mile warranty already, wait until that expires then if desired shop around and I'd bet you can find one that will extend to 100,000 mile/7 years for around $1200.00....
I agree that this is a good plan (after all what if you total the car 35 months from now).
I think I would shop the warranty before the 36 months was over however.

On a related note, do you think it is important to have all scheduled maintenance done by Toyota dealers before you get the extended warranty so that they know the car is a good maintenance risk? Will that help you get a better deal on an extended warranty?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Not sure about the Toyota Extended warranty but Honda Care had/has tiered pricing. As the age of the vehicle and its mileage increase, so does the premium for the same coverage.

·
Registered
36 Posts
On a related note, do you think it is important to have all scheduled maintenance done by Toyota dealers before you get the extended warranty so that they know the car is a good maintenance risk? Will that help you get a better deal on an extended warranty?
Toyota likely will not check service history. If they required the dealer to perform service to receive a discount on an extended warranty, it could be in violation of the Magnuson-Moss Act.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Toyota has been using the radar-based Pre-Collision System and DRCC technology included in the Sienna Limited Advanced Technology Package since at least the 2004 model year and it has proven to be very reliable. Unlike the laser-based system previously used, the radar sensor is hidden behind and protected by the grill. The laser sensor was exposed and prone to damage from road debris and was expensive to replace.

We have the Advanced Technology Package with PCS and DRCC on both our Prius and Sienna and not particularly concerned about reliability based on our experience with vehicles made by Toyota. We have had the radar sensor on the Prius replaced but that was because of a collision and was paid for by insurance. The retail price of a radar sensor is around $2,000.

By the way, I retired from a company that sells extended vehicle service warranties but I have never bought one ... and I could have bought them at wholesale.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Sienna Limited Premium
5,340 Posts
It all depends on your luck and your feeling about exposure down the road. Every day I see a dozen new complaints on this board about something that broke and is expensive to fix. So while Toyota is one of the more reliable brands, they still break. Parts and labor has become expensive as the packaging density in these vans increase.

And then there's the other perks as mentioned above. No nickle & dime games by the dealership. Toyota Platinum warranty holders get kid glove treatment as all customer feedback goes directly to corporate. I get a rental for the most trivial repairs, and expedited service.

Shop around. I paid $1400 (and no sales tax) for the 8 year / 125k miles / $0 deductible Platinum Plan back when Doug in IL was selling them nationwide. There must be someone else doing similar duty today. The payout on my 2008 van? With the latest fiasco (VVTi failure on the 2GR-FE requiring pulling the motor), the total is in the $9k range. I hope you guys aren't as misfortunate, but from a quick read thru the Gen-III threads it seems like a lot of you have had major issues....

·
Registered
325 Posts
I got the 2011 Limited with Advanced Tech Pkg as well. I didn't purchased the 100K Platinum warranty at first but when the factory warranty almost expired I decided to go for it. I bought online from out of state dealer for around $1100 with zero deductible 8 years 100K miles. The warranty come from Toyota not third party, I do received the paperwork from Toyota when I bought it and copy of paid receipt after 2 weeks for every repair. So far it already paid for itself and I'm glad I bought it.

During the factory warranty there some warranty work on my Sienna and cover under original warranty: sliding doors issue lead to replaced both motor, over head control switch replaced, front brake pad and some minor issue I don't recall.

The first couple months since I bought the extended warranty the check engine light pop up and 1 ignition coil gone wild so they replace all coils, the passenger seat bottom decide to quit working and that replace as well, also the window channel on the driver side replaced. The total bill for 3 repair jobs over $2000 and I paid zero $. They also cover the rental which is 4-5 days for 3 repair jobs. I'm sure there will be some more issue coming before the van hit 100K miles.

The 3rd gen Sienna come with tons of electronic and they could have trouble in the long run. My van park inside garage everyday and well care for but still having lot of trouble.

Your best bet would be hold on the extended warranty for now and wait until the factory warranty almost expired and decide to buy or not depend on how your van performance. Mine is 50 months old and 65K miles now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wow, just purchased 2015 Limited Premium with the advanced technology package as well. I had to special order this rare bird and now here you are with one too!

Neo is correct this is simply an insurance policy. It may be that you will not be able to get the value of the warranty in all cases.

I had an extended warranty on my 2004 Sienna. I saw some distinct advantaged. (1) Most important I feel is that dealers are more than happy to go over your car with a fine tooth comb if you have the extended warranty. They get paid to fix even the smallest of repairs and it does not cost you any more than you already paid for the warranty. You get a car that is maintained to the highest of levels, whereas without the warranty you might of held off on a repair, (2) Loaner cars are nice, (3) Peace of mind and you essentially have a cap you have already paid for repairs for the warranty period.

I got my value out of my 2004 Sienna for sure and I am most definitely purchasing one for my 2015 Sienna Limited Premium with Advanced Technology Package. There are so many bells and whistles on this van I personally feel it is a good bet to purchase the extended warranty.

I have found a dealer in Louisiana that has offered the 8 year / 100k mile, $0 deductible Toyota Platinum warranty for $1,255.

PM me if you want more details and I am happy to share.

Rawlins
which dealership?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Toyota has been using the radar-based Pre-Collision System and DRCC technology included in the Sienna Limited Advanced Technology Package since at least the 2004 model year and it has proven to be very reliable. Unlike the laser-based system previously used, the radar sensor is hidden behind and protected by the grill. The laser sensor was exposed and prone to damage from road debris and was expensive to replace.We have the Advanced Technology Package with PCS and DRCC on both our Prius and Sienna and not particularly concerned about reliability based on our experience with vehicles made by Toyota. We have had the radar sensor on the Prius replaced but that was because of a collision and was paid for by insurance. The retail price of a radar sensor is around $2,000.By the way, I retired from a company that sells extended vehicle service warranties but I have never bought one ... and I could have bought them at wholesale.
So... Uh... The anti collision thingy on the Prius didn't really work huh... Lol!

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
So... Uh... The anti collision thingy on the Prius didn't really work huh... Lol!
The "old" Pre-Collision System (PCS) currently used on Toyota brand vehicles does not function at extremely low speeds. My wife was barely moving when she bumped the Toyota emblem on the nose of her Prius into the spare tire of a Jeep in stop-and-go traffic. The radar sensor is directly behind the Toyota emblem. She told me that she was reaching for a writing pen that had fallen to the floor, had been writing a check while stopped in traffic and was not applying the brake with enough force to keep the car from coasting forward.

PCS on our Sienna sure saved my bacon last summer on the way to work when a car in a slow moving lane swerved in front of me when I was going 55-60 mph. PCS nailed the brakes at full force before I was able to lift my foot from the gas pedal and tightened my seat belt with an incredible amount of force - so much that my chest was sore the rest of the day. PCS does not necessarily prevent collisions - it reduces vehicle speed by up to 38 mph which may or may not prevent a crash. Maybe Toyota should have called PCS what it is called in Europe: "Pre-Crash System".

I had planned for us to keep the Prius and Sienna for at least 10 years like most of our previous vehicles but my current plan is to replace them both a year or so after APCS ("Advanced Pre-Collision System") and All-Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control become available on Toyota brand vehicles. These features were previously available only on the Lexus LS460L and LS600hL and finally trickled down to the Lexus RX for the 2016 model year. I would put money on the next generation Sienna Limited getting these two features, Lane Keeping Assist and perhaps some modest self-driving capabilities -- just what us old folks need.

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
I had the Dynamic Radar Cruise Control on my 2005 sienna van, absolutely useless function in my openion, burns gas like a bitch and is only usefull when driving absolutely flat super highways, any upsand downs in the topography of your trijectory and this thing will rev like a mad dog.

Javvy

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
I had the Dynamic Radar Cruise Control on my 2005 sienna van, absolutely useless function in my openion, burns gas like a bitch and is only usefull when driving absolutely flat super highways, any upsand downs in the topography of your trijectory and this thing will rev like a mad dog.

Javvy
Whatever issue you had with your 2005 Sienna did not have anything to do with your cruise control being "Dynamic" (adaptive) or "Radar". It might be related to the 2005 having 24 fewer horsepower and a one less transmission gear than the current Sienna which has 266 HP and a 6-speed transmission. Those bigger "gaps" between the gear ratios of the 5-speed transmission make downshifts more noticeable and the fewer number of gears might have caused your transmission to shift down to 3rd gear on moderate hills at highway speeds - especially if you were carrying a heavy load.

Or it could be due to not noticing that the radar has caused your Sienna to slow down when it would have been more efficient and caused less sudden engine noise to have changed lanes and passed the vehicle ahead before your Sienna slowed. Having adaptive cruise control doesn't mean that one can stopping paying attention when coming up on a slower moving vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Sienna Limited Premium
5,340 Posts
So just this evening with 100,652 on the clock I received another $1000+ benefit from my 8 yr / 125k plan. Replacing the left rear wheel bearing/hub assembly greatly reduced the howling, but with the front right replaced all is now silent.... Legendary Toyota Reliability (not!).

·
Registered
642 Posts
I decided to skip....my sister in law has a 2007 Sienna with over 200K miles... and it has been super reliable so I skipped.
I probably would have gotten it for the price you quoted.

·
Premium Member
2018 Sienna LE
890 Posts
I decided to skip....my sister in law has a 2007 Sienna with over 200K miles... and it has been super reliable so I skipped.
I was on the fence at one point too but decided to skip. My van is over 8 years old (114k miles) and I didn't have any reason to use the warranty.
Worst case, keep the money in your savings account. I don't think you would need to spend more than the cost of the extended warranty for anything that *may* come up.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts