Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I have a 2005 Sienna. Two days ago the ABS, VSC, TRAC OFF and a flashing tire pressure light appeared while pulling into my driveway. I turned the car off and took in the kiddos, went back out and turned the car back on and all the lights were off. After 2 days of driving the lights appeared again while pulling out of a driveway to merge into traffic. I was close to home so went there and left the car running and ran the scanner to see if any codes came up. 0 codes came up. Checked tire pressure (they are regular tires, not run flats) and they were all 35psi. Checked brake fluid and it was at the full line. Turned the van off and back on again and the lights again were gone.
I have done some searching on the forum, but I am stumped. Of course the manual says to take it to the dealership, but the lights are not consistant. Do you think its a faulty sensor and is it safe for me to be driving around until this is all figured out? Any ideas would be helpful! Thank you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had a similar problem with my 2004 Sienna. One evening, I was riding with a friend when suddenly the VSC, Trac off & check lights flashed on the Instrument panel. I immediately pulled over to a corner, switched off the ignition & turn it on after a few minutes but the lights remained. The following day, I noticed that the lights have disappeared.

But I also observed that the lights came on once in a while. Though for about a month or so now, the lights don't appear anymore. I truly do not know if there is a fault.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The 04/05 TPS system is the same; it looks at wheel rotation speed to check for a low tire. Double check that your tire pressures are equal and reset the TPS (read manual for procedure) to recalibrate it. If you have an odd tire on the van such as one worn substantially more than the others or a new one such as a damage replacement that may cause a bit of an issue. It is a good idea to recalibrate after major tire pressure changes, rotation or tire replacement. If the above does not help I would go on to checking the ABS wheel speed sensor wiring/plugs at each wheel. A dirty or corroded plug may just need to be unplugged and plugged back in to clear it up. Sometimes the wiring gets displaced from a holder, rubs on components and wears through the insulation causing intermittent shorts. macfam, yours seems to happen when turning the wheels sharply or going across a bump so it might be in the front. If you have been through an area that had a winter this year road salt residue can aggravate any undercar ABS sensor wiring issues, especially when wet. After your first good spring rain washes the salt off the roads a good carwash underbody rinse helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your reply! I finally got in to the dealership to have it diagnosed. Turned out to be the 'Stop Light Switch' that had gone out. Luckily it was a quick and relatively cheap fix. I sure hope the lights stay off!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm having the same problem and refuse to go to Toyota, i'm at AAA right now to see what they say. My guess is wheel speed sensor, seems common cause. My lincoln LS did the same when the wheel speed sensor went out. Different lights, but my 05 Sienna has the VSC and TRAC OFF lights on and the Check Engine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you for your reply! I finally got in to the dealership to have it diagnosed. Turned out to be the 'Stop Light Switch' that had gone out. Luckily it was a quick and relatively cheap fix. I sure hope the lights stay off!!
Hi Macfam,
I just want to clarify because I have the same issue "ABS, VSC, TRAC OFF and flashing Tire Pressure light ON and when I turn off the car, it goes away" . Did the dealer change your brake switch or he just change a stop light bulb ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I have a 06 Sienna and had the exact problem. I found that my trailer hook-up light harness had shorted out causing the exact same problems you are having. I removed the harness and don.t have that problem any more. One diffrence I was getting that you did not say you were having was that the trouble lights only came on when I would use my RIGHT turn signal. When I turned the van off and restarted it I had no lights
Hope this helps you

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine a 2004 has this problem and it's only intermittent, like as I leave home to go to work, 10 -15 minutes later it goes, off and starts again, more frequently now. I notice it all starts with a turn or the "slip/slide" indicator comes on...where should I start?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a similar problem.

I have a 2009 Sienna. I was on a 6 hour drive when out of the blue the [ENGINE], [VSC] and [TRAC OFF] came on. I pulled over and turned the Van on and off, but they were still lit. I didn't worry about it because I wasn't on slippy pavement and the van was running fine. The problem went away a couple days later.

Then a day after that ALL the warning lights on the dash started flicking like a disco at all times when the car was running ([ABS]/[AIR BAG]/[TRAC OFF]/[ENGINE]/[CRUISE CONRTOL]/ECT). The turn signals, gauges and low fuel light worked fine, but all warning light were flashing. The van runs fine. I had my local show diagnose it for 3 hours and couldn't find what was causing it.

Any idea???

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a similar problem.

I have a 2009 Sienna. I was on a 6 hour drive when out of the blue the [ENGINE], [VSC] and [TRAC OFF] came on. I pulled over and turned the Van on and off, but they were still lit. I didn't worry about it because I wasn't on slippy pavement and the van was running fine. The problem went away a couple days later.

Then a day after that ALL the warning lights on the dash started flicking like a disco at all times when the car was running ([ABS]/[AIR BAG]/[TRAC OFF]/[ENGINE]/[CRUISE CONRTOL]/ECT). The turn signals, gauges and low fuel light worked fine, but all warning light were flashing. The van runs fine. I had my local show diagnose it for 3 hours and couldn't find what was causing it.

Any idea???
I have similar problem (ABS, VSC, TRAC OFF and flashing Tire Pressure light on). I have tried many suggestions online but no success. I have not tried the wheel speed sensor. Have you fixed yours how did you do it if you have succeeded? can someone guide me about the wheel speed sensor?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts