Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 Toyota Sienna xle. The issues are with the climate controls..only heat works and it only comes off the dash..I can’t turn ac on, and I can’t get air to blow on the feet area..also can’t get the back of the van to work…curious if anybody can diagnose this? Is it a blend door, the actuator? Drivers side? Passenger? I’ll still keep digging but figured I’d ask you guys first..thanks

·
Super Moderator
348 Posts
Thanks Eric, thread was moved.

Reactions: feenoh

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok so i took the glove box out and both actuators on that side are working. The "circulation" worked fine. The other one (which i thought was my problem) is working too...at least the actuator is. So I guess I will have to spend some more time on the drivers side. From what I believe so far, the actuator on the glove box side is supposed to control the heat, and one of the ones on the drivers side is supposed to control direction (dash, floor, defrost). But if the hot cold actuator in the glove box is working, would I still have an AC issue related to drivers side "directional" actuator? This is so confusing and not alot of info out there on it. I've had this issue for awhile tbh, but recently moved to a much hotter location and now I need to get this situated. I am going to go mess around now on the drivers side. I did pull out the actuator there last night and tried to clean it, but i guess theres another one?....i dunno...ill check back in and let you know my results.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update.....come to find out my compressor was not engaging at all...so i just replaced the compressor and we got cold air! but only on the passenger side. So were getting closer to solving this issue. I am going to go outside now and play with the actuators again and see if i can solve the problem...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
not a lot of info out there surprisingly on this topic..I’ve been stuck just tryna research which actuator does what…I’ve finally come to the conclusion the the “mode door” is my issue…now I’m trying to find a part to replace this but nothing is coming up..is the mode door and blend door actuator the same part? Do I just need an actuator or replace the whole thing?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've had a similar issue on another vehicle. If you're getting air through some vents but not others, it definitely sounds like a mode door issue. My challenge was finding exactly which part I needed to purchase for it. The blend door actuator and the mode door actuator looked very similar but there very well could be differences in the plastic arms that they are attached to. You should be able to buy just the actuator.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah they looked the same…I’m just hoping it’s an actuator and not the whole unit..only because in my very few searches “2005 Sienna mode door” I have only seen actuators…and typically they’re “blend door actuators” that pop up which is why I think they’re the same part..I haven’t done a ton of digging just yet though

·
Registered
45 Posts
What I ended up doing was, I confirmed which actuator was acting up and pulled it out to look at it. There was a DENSO part number on it which actually didn't help identifying exactly which one it is, but it could help you. I looked up blend door actuators and mode door actuators to compare item photos, then confirmed that it was the mode door actuator based on the shape of the plastic arms.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What I ended up doing was, I confirmed which actuator was acting up and pulled it out to look at it. There was a DENSO part number on it which actually didn't help identifying exactly which one it is, but it could help you. I looked up blend door actuators and mode door actuators to compare item photos, then confirmed that it was the mode door actuator based on the shape of the plastic arms.
yes that may be what im going to have to do...but i know which actuator it is and its the one where i have to take apart the whole dash to get to it...i want to avoid opening the dash until its time to do the job so the vehicle could still be used..but to be honest, ive never taken apart the dash so if its somewhat easy to take off and re install temporarily then that option is definitely on the table...but I may just have to bite the bullet and do it either way...if anybody has done this for the mode door on the drivers side for a 2005 sienna xle, and knows the exact part number that would help too...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts