Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 LE AWD, so far as I can tell it did not come with "acoustic" windshield glass. I need to replace the original glass. My question is two fold, will the acoustic glass fit my vehicle? And, if it will fit, will installing the acoustic glass result in less cabin noise at highway speeds?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Yes and Yes. Since you van didn't come one, ensure that the installer is getting you the Acoustic one. You may have to pay an out-of-pocket differential for this vs the regular one

·
Registered
108 Posts
acoustic glass can make a 2015+ sienna close to "lexus quiet", well worth the expense

Reactions: sbihue

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
It can be. I know at-least one who has it on a 2013 XLE, had to pay $75 to the installer. It does significantly quieten up the front end
2013 was the first model year that the XLE and Limited got standard acoustic windshields per the press release at 2013 Toyota Sienna Adds New Standard Amenities - Toyota USA Newsroom

I doubt that installing an acoustic windshield on an LE will provide a noticeable reduction in noise to your ear but I suppose you could measures the before and after noise level with a decibel meter under identical weather and road conditions. The vast majority of the noise that reaches the interior of our 2014 Limited comes from its tires and is dependent on tire tread type and condition and road surface type and condition. The interior of my Limited can seem quite loud on course surfaces and/or in high wind and nearly silent on freshly installed pavement when the wind conditions are low.

That said, an acoustic windshield certainly can't hurt anything. There should be two versions of the acoustic windshield for the 2018 Sienna - one version is for the SE, XLE and Limited without rain sensing wipers and the other version is for the Limited Premium with rain sensing wipers. 2018 was the first model year in which the SE got a standard acoustic windshield per the press release at Safety First: 2018 Toyota Sienna Gains Standard Toyota Safety Sense P (TSS-P) - Toyota USA Newsroom

My 2014 Limited is on its 3rd acoustic windshield. The first replacement was OEM with markings identical to the factory installed windshield. The second replacement was from Pilkington and has a "ear" symbol on it instead of "ACOUSTIC". I can't tell any difference between the OEM and Pilkington windshields in terms of clarity and noise level.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2013 LTD AWD and on my second OEM acoustic windshield which is currently cracked and going to be replaced again. We have really hard driving rain down here in Miami and I can assure you the acoustic windshield does a lot to control rain noise in the car especially while on the highway at speed. The dealer ferries you back and forth in a lower end sienna and the noise of rain on the windshield is so loud in comparison. Both of mine have been OEM but I'm happy to hear that the Pilkington is about the same quality as State farm might not pay for OEM this time around. We had the first one replaced a few years after purchase and there was no aftermarket equivalent available. Was almost $1800 to replace it at the dealer paid by SF.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts