Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there upgraded the steering wheel switches on a 2005 XLE to 2006 XLE Limited style with the phone/talk buttons on the right side of the steering wheel? I am hoping to do this as part of an audio head unit upgrade. Looking to use a PAC steering control adapter or I-Data Maestro RR to integrate the steering controls and the JBL system etc. Please let me know if you have done anything similar to what I am contemplating. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2008 Sienna LE
37 Posts
They're really hard to come by. The junkyard near me has three XLE/Limited models (out of seven Siennas total), but none of them have the phone buttons on their steering wheels.

I actually have an iDatalink Maestro RR in my 2008. In addition to programming the standard functions, iDatalink's software allows you to program long-presses on each button for secondary functions. I programmed the long-presses into the Seek UP/DOWN buttons to answer and hang up, and the MODE button to bring up Google Assistant/Siri when our phones are connected to the headunit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply,
Yep, very difficult to find a Sienna in a junkyard with that steering wheel/telephone switch setup. It gets even more complicated because there are versions with and without Sonar. Then finding the correct color!!! There is a vendor on eBay that has the Toyota Genuine switch set new for a considerable discount. $180. Still a lot of money....

I was 100% successful doing a similar retrofit on my 2008 FJ Cruiser using Idata Maestro RR. The telephone switch feature wasn't implemented till 2010 FJ models. All the FJ Cruiser "experts" told me it wouldn't work but it did. This is the reason I asked if anyone had been successful in doing this retrofit in a 2005 Sienna.

Since my original post, I contacted the Idata people in Canada about what I was wanting to do and they told me that they quit supporting Siennas pre 2007 because of inconsistencies in the CAN OBD2 network structure prior to 2007. Said it just presented them with too many problems so they quit supporting the early years. They have the firmware/software download in their archive but would not release it to me. Bummer....

I started looking at other ways to do this and found that PAC has and adapter called the RP4.2-TY11. It has very good reviews . It is similar to IData Maestro RR but is much less reliant on the CAN OBD2 interface. The PAC adapter does everything the Maestro does with integration of steering controls ,JBL electronics etc. It's also It just won't display OBD2 info on your head unit screen. It is roughly $120 on Amazon.

I'll give updates when I get into this project.

Bibbt

·
Registered
2008 Sienna LE
37 Posts
Very interesting... I just looked up a 2005 Sienna on Crutchfield.com to see what would fit; they don't even list the Maestro unit as compatible. Guess I'm glad I got a 2008 haha. I really like having the CAN bus integration.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts