Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

AF Dynamic Cold Air intake Installed!!

33K views 42 replies 22 participants last post by  2014SiennaLE 
#1 ·
Installed a cold air intake by AF Dynamic, very happy with the result not sure how much hp gain but I can feel the big different from the torque also love the mean power sound from the intake.

Vehicle Auto part Motor vehicle Car Engine
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Engine Auto part

See less See more
#5 ·
Greetings Y'all,

I like sr2003's idea for no snakes were harvested nor harmed in the process of installing the AFDynamic intake kit!!! :)

Do you know if this product is CARB approved( with included sticker) for those of us in Kalifornia? LoL

I appreciate your efforts & sharing of your results with us sr2003.

#6 ·
Where is it getting the cold air from, is there a scoop that we can't see from the pictures?
Cold air when the hood is open. Nothing but hot air when the hood is closed. It still baffled me at this day and age people still put "cold air" intake in their car. Little do they know the stock intake is actually highly engineer from the factory to begin with.

#9 ·
Greetings Y'all,

To Lipster : I think you may need to take heed of the tone, intent & consequences of your posts on the youths reading this forum!

I almost went outside and removed my hood until I realized "what if I parked at the big shopping mall and somebody steals my $110+ battery cause its sitting there all exposed"???
Good thing my Momma didn't raise no fool, I closed the hood and went back inside to finish my bowl of breakfast Cherrios cereal!!! LoL

#10 ·
Lonerider,
Your point is well taken, but I never said to remove the hood.
I said to drive with it open, so that it acts as a giant funnel to scoop all that cold air and compress it as it enters the engine.
If I were German, I would call it a Kompressor. If you take it to a mall, just close the hood, and no one is the wiser. I'm tellin' ya, this is a breakthrough.

#12 ·
Greetings Y'all,

To sr2003 : Please post again in the near future with your continued impression/results of the AF Dynamics system. I had been eye-balling the Weapons R air intake system for our vans but at over $300 it is too rich for my pocket-book. Now that you have made me(and us) aware of the AF Dynamics system at about $159 I can afford that. Besides, I can now buy 2 AF Dynamic air intakes for the price of 1 Weapon R air intake and install both the 3 forward cylinders bank and the 3 rear cylinders bank with double the cold,ram air effects and really blow my new internet buddy Lipster off the road in a drag race for "pink slips"!!! LoL

To Lipster : The underside of our hoods has way too many nooks and would NOT result in the clean, cold, ram air intake desired by us shade tree mechanics! So, I am going to devise a reverse hood mount bracket that will both collect much needed moisture at rest(we Kalifornian's are in a drought!) and then when opened for driving will create that clean "giant funnel to scoop all that cold air" that is your outlined theory!!! Now who has the breakthrough idea! I will make millions of dollars with my reverse hood mount(supercharged- a good buzzword for marketing) bracket integrated performance system, and you can tell people you knew me way back when I was just an internet poseur! LoL

#17 ·
In the on-going quest to make our vehicles more powerful and fun to drive, people have come up with some great aftermarket systems. Of course there are lots of changes you can make to the engine like a new exhaust system, bolt-ons like superchargers and turbos but seriously, that stuff costs tons of money and you'll probably spend more than a weekend installing those parts.
And then there are Short Ran air intakes, like the one I just put on my Sienna from AF Dynamic.
Short Ram air intakes are a fairly inexpensive modification and easier to install than most other engine modifications. No, they won't add quite as much power as other engine mods, but they will help your engine in some other ways.
Think of a factory air intake system as like having a cold that clogs up your head and restricts your breathing. Now go running. It's not going to work very well is it? A short ram air intake is like amazing medicine that allows your engine to finally breath.
Short Ram air intakes move the air filter outside of the engine compartment so that cooler air can be sucked into the engine for combustion. Cooler air brings more oxygen (denser air) into the combustion chamber and that means more power.
Not too shabby. But it gets even better.
Not only does a cold air intake reduce the air temperature, but it also increases airflow. Aftermarket intakes remove the need for a box surrounding the air filter and instead use large diameter intake tubes that are smoother, have less bends and are often wider than the original factory ones. Removing the air box and using smoother tubes gives the engine uninterrupted airflow.
So I definitely would mess with it.

#22 ·
How easy is it to install? Nice set up. Do you feel any low end torque or power?
Any pricing?

The positives of a short ram is easier to install, remove, or work on. It’s much easier to service. So since you are able to suck in more air, there is less restriction than the stock air box.
I pick my mods carefully, and its really up to you on what you believe works with your vehicle, and what results you want to achieve.

#23 ·
Greetings Y'all,,

Darn sr2003, you had be in your back pocket until that last post!

Your last post has you sounding like a pitch-man for AF Dynamics??? Your personal experience is worth a million times more value than any advertisement as most ads are plain & simple bull****!

Dang, you are now giving my internet brother Lipster legitimacy!!! LoL

#24 ·
The Engine ECU is not available (currently) for tuning. Yet you changed the airbox, how did you rescale the MAF?
Shorter intake length, different air filter flow rate, hotter air all resulted in a leaner running engine.
The parameters give you 2% at most of air fuel ratio to work with.
Your "butt dyno" has you believing you improved it, alas it's not true (sound is not hp), but if you're happy that's all that matters.

My experience with intakes & exhaust headers, supercharged and turbocharged kits on Toyota, Lexus & Scion Products is extensive.
My results are tested and "Dyna Pack" verified at Sea level in South Florida.

If your "intake" truly worked I'd be promoting it here with "Dyna Pack" results posted on this forum.

#25 ·
I have always been skeptical with certain mods for cars.. Until someone totally legitimate actually does what I thought wouldnt happen.. Now Im not going to share any facts here of dyno data or graphs.. But all i wanna share to you guys is that I personally got to go to a very private event with Toyota with another member here and it involved a mildly modified sienna and a highly modified Sienna at a track.

Long story short, the highly modified Sienna had a short ram intake just like the one AF dynamic is selling and YES... They did Dyno the van and yes the ECU wasnt flashed or tuned either.. All it had though was a extensively engineered intake and an exhaust that wasnt just made but also R&D 'd as well during the development of the parts. Can't mention the builders as well BUT he was known to be a nascar driver and now does work with TRD and Toyota..

I can't really share too much info on it as well as many pictures BUT i will share one or 2... So with that said, are short ram intakes useless? These guys proved me wrong ... They CAN make a difference.

Pics show the simple but extensively researched vortex intake, Limited slip differential made in japan exclusively for the Sienna :grin:, bunch of drivers who test drove the BEAST sienna, and one of VANkulture's member's Siennas laid out on the track.

Believe what you want to believe but all I can say is if the BEAST sienna can slap around a Camaro S/S on track (not even close either) then I believe everything thats in it.

CHEERS!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.