Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a minor scratch on the center insert of my grille and was looking for a replacement when I stumbled upon an entire aftermarket grille assembly on EBay that's actually cheaper than the OEM insert itself

(Item # 362903845672 for those that wanna look it up)

The EBay listing claims it's compatible with Radar Cruise, but when I tried to confirm by contacting the seller, I get this pop up:

We're sorry we couldn't find an answer for you. Unfortunately due to the high volume of messages this seller receives, they are unable to respond to your specific question right now. We suggest reviewing the item again to see if your answer is in the seller's listing.
Given that used OEM grilles are listed for upwards of $400, I'm a bit skeptical about this listing and was wondering if anyone here has had any luck with them?

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Very unlikely that would work. Just the special little insert (Toyota Part No.: 53141-45020 GARNISH, RADIATOR GRILLE) that goes in front of your radar unit retails for $422.37.

I've seen more than one thread on Toyota and Lexus forum from people who got a standard emblem or grill and then found that their PCS and DRCC no longer worked.

The special Toyota emblem that goes on front of the radar unit on our Prius is similarly expensive - I know since it's been replaced twice! The standard Prius front Toyota emblem costs only a few bucks.

I've wondered what kind of material these parts are made from the causes them to be so expensive.

Also, don't try to fix or paint your scratched grill insert if that's what is in front of the radar unit. There are cautions about doing things like that in your owners manual.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, the prices are INSANE, but I don't really see anything special about the grille or insert :unsure:

Looks like regular old plastic to me :confused:

Here's what mine looks like:

Took it off yesterday and it looks like it has a hairline crack

Also noticed that Radar sensor touches the grille if you flex it in and out

Makes me wonder if that might be the cause of my recent PCS warning cause the day it happened it was super windy (like 45mph winds)

·
Super Moderator
4,738 Posts
I'm sure it's just perception, but that radar unit doesn't appear to be sitting parallel to the grill. Did you get parking lot bumped?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm sure it's just perception, but that radar unit doesn't appear to be sitting parallel to the grill. Did you get parking lot bumped?

From what I was told by the field tech that did the calibration, it's supposed to be off center to the right (like aiming headlights) and doesn't necessarily have to be level with the grille :unsure:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, and the scratch/crack was there when I bought the van last May

I take pride in parking my cars FAR away from other vehicles and runaway shopping carts lol

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Yeah, the prices are INSANE, but I don't really see anything special about the grille or insert :unsure:

Looks like regular old plastic to me :confused:
Whether it looks like regular plastic or not, the radar doesn't work without the special insert. I see you've been recently terrorizing the ClubLexus forum where I've been since 2003. Here's a recent thread about PCS on on a gen 4 RX not working until the owner got the correct emblem insert - that's me giving him the part number: Radar Cruise Control Unavailable - Clean Sensor - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Took it off yesterday and it looks like it has a hairline crack
My wife's 2012 Prius's radar unit had a similar hairline crack after she barely tapped the spare tire of a jeep in stop-and-go traffic. Replacing the radar unit was necessary.

Makes me wonder if that might be the cause of my recent PCS warning cause the day it happened it was super windy (like 45mph winds)
Possible. These radar units have always been shockingly fragile. At least the current generation radar units on the 2018-up Sienna and other Toyota and Lexus vehicles are very inexpensive compared to older generations. The radar unit on the 2004-2006 Lexus LS430 retails at $6,124. The radar unit on your 2016 Sienna retails at "only" $2,813. The retail price of the radar unit on the 2018 Sienna dropped all the way down to $564.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Whether it looks like regular plastic or not, the radar doesn't work without the special insert. I see you've been recently terrorizing the ClubLexus forum where I've been since 2003. Here's a recent thread about PCS on on a gen 4 RX not working until the owner got the correct emblem insert - that's me giving him the part number: Radar Cruise Control Unavailable - Clean Sensor - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Interesting

I actually want to try it without the grille at all to see what difference it makes (Toyota did several test runs without it during the re-calibration)

And yes, I've been hitting up ALL the forums in the last month lol

Been on ClubLexus since the beginning, but lost the password for my original name (which is why my current name is shortened to "98SNAKETR" on there)

My wife's 2012 Prius's radar unit had a similar hairline crack after she barely tapped the spare tire of a jeep in stop-and-go traffic. Replacing the radar unit was necessary.
That had to suck as those things aren't cheap

So far mine has been working as normal since my little "fix", but I have yet to try it over the Railroad tracks (I assume it will work as it did previously)

Possible. These radar units have always been shockingly fragile. At least the current generation radar units on the 2018-up Sienna and other Toyota and Lexus vehicles are very inexpensive compared to older generations. The radar unit on the 2004-2006 Lexus LS430 retails at $6,124. The radar unit on your 2016 Sienna retails at "only" $2,813. The retail price of the radar unit on the 2018 Sienna dropped all the way down to $564.

Yeah, I noticed that while shopping

Couldn't find a used one for mine anywhere

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, so I tried it without the grille and it worked fine

Kinda curious about the knock off grille now, so I might just give it a shot

If it doesn't work (or looks like crap), I'll just send it back

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, so I went ahead and ordered it, but it arrived without the insert (the piece I wanted the most.....CRAP!!)

The packaging had a little bit of damage, so I made an unboxing video just in case....

Waiting for their response, but I must say, the grille itself looks to be very good quality when compared to my original

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
OK, so I went ahead and ordered it, but it arrived without the insert (the piece I wanted the most.....CRAP!!)
I wondered what the catch was. I'd sure pay $47 for that grill if it came with an insert that allowed the radar unit to work. The grill insert on my 2014 looks pretty worn but not enough for me to want to pay anything near the $422.37 retail price to replace it.

I just realized that it was only your grill insert that was cracked. It was the actual radar unit on our Prius was cracked when it didn't work.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ah, the power of YouTube lol

Just got this message

New message from: overdrive_brands Top Rated Seller(311,910RedShooting Star)
Hello,

We are following up with the shipping warehouse to get a replacement item sent to you. We apologize for the wrong item you received. We will not need this item returned you may keep or discard this item as you see fit. We will update you shortly with with a tracking number when we hear back from the warehouse.

Please let me know if there's anything else I could further assist you.

Thank You,
Overdrive Brands LL

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess the insert really is made of unobtainium cause they sent another message saying that their supplier is out of stock and they refunded my money :confused:

Oh well, looks like I have another grille to mess around with or throw up Craigslist :cool:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts