Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've recently found out that in Canada the only trims that come with roof rails are the XSE and Limited. I was planning on getting an XLE, and don't really want to upgrade up to a XSE just for the roof rails. Considering that you can add roof rails to any trims in the States, I'm assuming I might be able to add aftermarket roof rails to an XLE eventually.
So I guess my questions are:

1) Does anyone know of a aftermarket roof rail option? (Most places seem to only sell the cross-bars and assume that the rails are already present).

2) Anyone who has purchased a 2021 XLE without roof rails, does it look like there are attachment places where roof rails could be added?

·
Registered
3 Posts
So, I've recently found out that in Canada the only trims that come with roof rails are the XSE and Limited. I was planning on getting an XLE, and don't really want to upgrade up to a XSE just for the roof rails. Considering that you can add roof rails to any trims in the States, I'm assuming I might be able to add aftermarket roof rails to an XLE eventually.
So I guess my questions are:

1) Does anyone know of a aftermarket roof rail option? (Most places seem to only sell the cross-bars and assume that the rails are already present).

2) Anyone who has purchased a 2021 XLE without roof rails, does it look like there are attachment places where roof rails could be added?
I am in the exact same boat as you. Looking at the XLE and need to roof rails as I throw my canoe on top of my current vehicle. Also disappointed that the XLE doesn't have 8 seater AWD. Not sure if they will add the roof rail as an option later on or if this is all we get for 2021.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just got information that LE and XLE trims don't have the anchor for roof rails, so probably no OEM option. Very disapointed.

However, this is an option available in the US, so still have hope.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just got information that LE and XLE trims don't have the anchor for roof rails, so probably no OEM option. Very disapointed.

However, this is an option available in the US, so still have hope.
Thanks for the info. Yes this is very disappointing. A 150$ option not being available is making me not buy the van. Pretty lame.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the info. Yes this is very disappointing. A 150$ option not being available is making me not buy the van. Pretty lame.
The good news is that since the option is available in the US, there is a good chance that the roof has the required reinforcement and that a way can be found to add the rails.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But it's tough to make a purchase choice based on there only being a "good chance" of adding roof rails...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Unfortunately, just like on the 3rd generation Sienna L, the base 2021 LE and XLE have no provisions for mounting roof rails. See photo of a 2021 Sienna LE showing the roof rail mounting area at the roof seam (the roof drip side finish moulding has been lifted). You can see the normal spot weld dimples that fasten the vehicle side stamped sheet to the roof stamped sheet. The factory installed roof rails may have some extra structural metal parts fastened under the roof as on the 3rd generation. Right now, to get the factory roof rails, you must get the "Roof rails" package, the "Roof rails with options" package, the "LE Plus Package", or the "XLE Plus Package" and these options may not be available in all the 12 Toyota US sales regions. You may find your search of a desired combination of options in another region as I did.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Unfortunately, just like on the 3rd generation Sienna L, the base 2021 LE and XLE have no provisions for mounting roof rails. See photo of a 2021 Sienna LE showing the roof rail mounting area at the roof seam (the roof drip side finish moulding has been lifted). You can see the normal spot weld dimples that fasten the vehicle side stamped sheet to the roof stamped sheet. The factory installed roof rails may have some extra structural metal parts fastened under the roof as on the 3rd generation. Right now, to get the factory roof rails, you must get the "Roof rails" package, the "Roof rails with options" package, the "LE Plus Package", or the "XLE Plus Package" and these options may not be available in all the 12 Toyota US sales regions. You may find your search of a desired combination of options in another region as I did.
View attachment 48036 Like
Thanks for the info! Not what i wanted to hear but good to know. In canada I can only get roof rails with the xse or higher trim. I guess I'm not getting the sienna this year.

·
Registered
145 Posts
This was very helpful. The dealer could not answer this question. I was wondering if you could just install them afterwards since I'm finding more on lots without them, but seems I'll have to find one with them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here's a few options for the Canadians who have very few add on options when ordering right now.
Rack attack does some track installation on naked roofs if you're on the west coast. Maybe they could put some tracks down the channel.

Back in the day Thule used to make flat foot packs for roof racks that gripped the door frame and then had a flat foot on top for vehicles that didn't have factory racks. I don't know if you could mount around the window frame at the back of the van but even if you could mount on the sliding door and front door it could be useful. Problem is your relying on Thule/Yakima to come up with a solution.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Toyota is really dropping the ball on this one as far as cargo hauling.
No removable seats, no lie-flat middle row seatbacks, and now no roof rack.
WTF?

I’d be very interested if Thule or Yakima have a roof pad and door frame gripper, but not sure it would work with sliding doors,

The only other option is something like a Yakima Landing Pad that gets bolted right into the roof, but that’s a permanent alteration.

Here's a few options for the Canadians who have very few add on options when ordering right now.
Rack attack does some track installation on naked roofs if you're on the west coast. Maybe they could put some tracks down the channel.

Back in the day Thule used to make flat foot packs for roof racks that gripped the door frame and then had a flat foot on top for vehicles that didn't have factory racks. I don't know if you could mount around the window frame at the back of the van but even if you could mount on the sliding door and front door it could be useful. Problem is your relying on Thule/Yakima to come up with a solution.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The Seasucker rack is an option too. Apparently it works in the Canadian winter, and the Monkeybars option is strong enough to hold 2 canoes. I’d still strap things down to the car frame, not just the rack.

·
Registered
5 Posts
thanks for posting this detailed explanation and picture. I, like many others, are on the fence about this model of Sienna pending the roof rail situation.
Just curious, having watched a number of YouTube videos on retro fitting roof rails on other Toyota models, are you 100% that these ‘spot welds’ aren’t painted over plugs, as they look to be in the right location for the rear rail mount.
Regards, Calum

·
Registered
51 Posts

Rack Attack in the GTA suggests bolting on a Thule track to attach crossbars. They do it as a custom job

·
Registered
5 Posts
Rack Attack in the GTA suggests bolting on a Thule track to attach crossbars. They do it as a custom job
looking at the Thule literature for this procedure, they would have to drop the headliner to do this as there are nyloc nuts on the inboard side as well drill through the roof in several places.

Rack Attack also stated to me that this is there only option right now too.

this style of rack is normally for canopy’s

I think it would make more sense for me to go down the sea sucker monkey bar route for the few weeks of the year I use the roof box, and then reassess when oem / aftermarket parts become more available.

·
Registered
51 Posts
looking at the Thule literature for this procedure, they would have to drop the headliner to do this as there are nyloc nuts on the inboard side as well drill through the roof in several places.

Rack Attack also stated to me that this is there only option right now too.

this style of rack is normally for canopy’s

I think it would make more sense for me to go down the sea sucker monkey bar route for the few weeks of the year I use the roof box, and then reassess when oem / aftermarket parts become more available.
I know Yakima makes an option with blind nuts that only need access from the exterior. I assume Thule tracks have these too.

Edit- Thule calls them Flare Nuts.

They also make a 60” track.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I know Yakima makes an option with blind nuts that only need access from the exterior. I assume Thule tracks have these too.

Edit- Thule calls them Flare Nuts.

They also make a 60” track.
Hmm, on the Thule site it says you can’t install these rails with a moonroof. I’ve written Rack Attack to see if they have a work-around.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have written to Toyota to confirm if the OEM rack can be retrofitted, there are conflicting reports on this, and the dealer wasn't sure.

So frustrating!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have written to Toyota to confirm if the OEM rack can be retrofitted, there are conflicting reports on this, and the dealer wasn't sure.

So frustrating!
Dealer is offering to install OEM but would send it out to a body shop to have the work done. I am skeptical about this approach. I am worried that this may void some parts of the manufacturer warranty as it looks like it is at least 8 holes to be drilled from the roof into the cabin. Any thoughts?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts