Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dealer is offering to install OEM but would send it out to a body shop to have the work done. I am skeptical about this approach. I am worried that this may void some parts of the manufacturer warranty as it looks like it is at least 8 holes to be drilled from the roof into the cabin. Any thoughts?
View attachment 48264
Thanks for sharing this picture - it is really helpful.

With regards to warranty, if your dealer has approved the work, but doesn’t have capability or capacity to do it, get it in writing and it won’t be a problem.

Looks like the shop will need to drop the headlining to get to the nuts on the underside which is a shame to pull a part a brand new car, and sounds expensive! I wonder if this will involve air bags and electrical work :confused: .

I’m not sure whether to cancel my order and wait for a deal on a XSE, or go with and get some seasucker monkey bars, I didn’t realise how much of a dealbreaker it would be for me especially as I only use the bars 3-5 times a year.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hmm, on the Thule site it says you can’t install these rails with a moonroof. I’ve written Rack Attack to see if they have a work-around.
Rack Attack thinks they can do it even with the moon roof, but they would like to see a picture.
Does anyone have a photo of the XLE roof they can share? I’d appreciate it.

Not sure if the XLS or higher versions have the same roof.

Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Rack Attack thinks they can do it even with the moon roof, but they would like to see a picture.
Does anyone have a photo of the XLE roof they can share? I’d appreciate it.

Not sure if the XLS or higher versions have the same roof.

Thanks.
Did they talk about price?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Update. My dealer told me today that they can install the factory roof rails (probably high cost) on LE and XLE. A solution that need to make hole in roof and approved by Toyota Canada.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Update. My dealer told me today that they can install the factory roof rails (probably high cost) on LE and XLE. A solution that need to make hole in roof and approved by Toyota Canada.
Excellent! Who is your dealer? Mine didn’t think it was possible, but maybe they can talk to yours.

Depending on the price, I may still go with Rack Attack’s custom Thule attachment.

I carried long racing kayaks on my 2016 Sienna, and the factory rack alone was too far back, so I had a set of Landing Pads put on up front with a Yakima bar and Control Towers, and attached the second bar to the roof rails, either the Toyota aero bar for narrow loads or a Yakima bar with attachments for wide ones.

The Landing Pad was much faster and easier to install and remove than the attachments on the roof rails, either the Toyota crossbar or the Yakima one. It literally took 5 seconds and was rock solid.

If the factory rack is over $1000 I may pass.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Excellent! Who is your dealer? Mine didn’t think it was possible, but maybe they can talk to yours.

Depending on the price, I may still go with Rack Attack’s custom Thule attachment.

I carried long racing kayaks on my 2016 Sienna, and the factory rack alone was too far back, so I had a set of Landing Pads put on up front with a Yakima bar and Control Towers, and attached the second bar to the roof rails, either the Toyota aero bar for narrow loads or a Yakima bar with attachments for wide ones.

The Landing Pad was much faster and easier to install and remove than the attachments on the roof rails, either the Toyota crossbar or the Yakima one. It literally took 5 seconds and was rock solid.

If the factory rack is over $1000 I may pass.
You were right. The Toyota solution is overs 1000$. Way too much! Did you get the Yakima solution?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am in the same boat as you guys. I am in New Jersey area. When I was buying my Sienna in November it didn't occur to me that the rails couldn't be added later on. The dealer said to just go on their web-site and buy later (it was later in the day and arguably they wanted to go home). Now they are saying that if not installed on the factory, there is no way to add them on.

I am too far from any Rack Attack locations.
Any other recommendations, guys?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Seasucker racks can apparently attach to any roof without tools, but they need to be dry and warm, so tricky in winter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Seasucker racks can apparently attach to any roof without tools, but they need to be dry and warm, so tricky in winter.
They look cool but I don't know about attaching an overhead cargo to them..
Just spoke to RackAttack sales rep and this is the rack he recommended:

Requires drilling your roof though.
Anyone had experience with drilling holes in your car? =)

·
Registered
51 Posts
They look cool but I don't know about attaching an overhead cargo to them..
Just spoke to RackAttack sales rep and this is the rack he recommended:

Requires drilling your roof though.
Anyone had experience with drilling holes in your car? =)
That's what I plan to get installed. They have blind nuts that only need to go in from the outside at least.
Yakima also has something called Landing Pads that are smaller. I had them on my previous Sienna, and a local mechanic installed them for me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
That's what I plan to get installed. They have blind nuts that only need to go in from the outside at least.
Yakima also has something called Landing Pads that are smaller. I had them on my previous Sienna, and a local mechanic installed them for me.
Are you planning to install yourself or ask a mechanic? I am fairly handy and have done numerous renovations around the house but drilling my car makes me a bit uneasy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am in the same boat as you guys. I am in New Jersey area. When I was buying my Sienna in November it didn't occur to me that the rails couldn't be added later on. The dealer said to just go on their web-site and buy later (it was later in the day and arguably they wanted to go home). Now they are saying that if not installed on the factory, there is no way to add them on.

I am too far from any Rack Attack locations.
Any other recommendations, guys?
I called Rack Attack yesterday - the rep referred me to this custom install on a 2021 Sienna without OEM rails (scroll down to the 2nd set of pics, "2021 Toyota Sienna Dual Door Custom") Toyota Sienna dual door Rack Installation Photos

2x Yakima Landing Pad 7, Yakima 50 Inch JetStream pair, Yakima SkyLine (set of 4), and Yakima 4 pack SKS cores

I'm also in NJ, but this looks like a good enough solution [and I haven't found a better, more local option] that I'm going to make a day of it and do a pilgrimage up to Rack Attack Boston to have this done.

[edited to fix grammar]

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am highly disappointed that you cannot get factory installed roof rails on the Canadian sold 2021 Sienna LE or XLE. Shocked actually. Really glad I found this forum thread. Highly informative. I want to get the XLE but was almost ready to abandon the idea because of this rather silly problem. Just have to decide between the Seasucker or getting holes drilled into the roof.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts