Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,923 Posts
DTJ9610 said:
I ran the nozzel out the top of the coil. However I place the disk at the bottom thinking it was there for support. Do I need to swith this to the top?
My Coil-Rite set didn't come with this sort of disk. It could be to protect the bag from sharp edges on the spring perches - in which case it could be needed on either end but apparently is needed on neither - or it could just be a spacer to fit the bag length to the space (which is what the Firestone rep suggested when I called). I don't see any connection to the hose fitting. Whatever the reason, with my kit in my Sienna is apparently is not required.

·
Registered
38 Posts
DTJ9610 said:
Stupid question.

I ran the nozzel out the top of the coil. However I place the disk at the bottom thinking it was there for support. Do I need to swith this to the top?
I would switch it. IMO, the disk is designed to protect the nozzle.

·
Premium Member
2,923 Posts
It seems to me that if the bag moves so much that the hose fitting is in danger of damage from the edges of the hole in the spring perch, it must not be inflated and something is significantly wrong.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well I had looked under last night and say I'm now missing a disk. Hopefully it cam out when the dealer installed the hitch. If nt does ayone have any suggestions for a replacement. I assume I could just get some hard plastic and cut out the same diameter. Just not sure where to get a nice thick piece of plastic like that. Had the disk been on top where the hose was it would have held in place by that... UGH!!

Update: Nevermind. Called the company and there are sending out another set at no charge. I guess the disc cost about $4 so the rep didn't bother charging.

·
Registered
290 Posts
From what you have experienced......I would guess that the best place for the disk is on the end that you have the air hose connection.
This will keep the disk from falling out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Anyone have issues with the hose melting. I had followed "powerslide's" instructions and everything seemed to work out great. Will say I love the way the plug sits in the fuel cover. However, I did have on issue already. I ran the hose from driver to passanger side behind that "v" shaped metal bar running from side to side (rear axel beam per robo 5). In one hole, ran it along and out the other end. However my hose snapped in the middle which appears to have been from melting. Curious if anyone else ran into this at all or if there were other suggestions on how to run the hose.

·
Premium Member
2,923 Posts
In a 2WD second-generation Sienna, the muffler is immediately ahead of the axle beam, which would certainly be a heat source. I have not had any melting problems, but I didn't run either line beside the muffler. Also, keep in mind that the axle beam twists whenever there is a difference in suspension movement between the two rear wheels, so mounting needs to account for some movement.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Re: Installing the bag fill barbs upwards

I essentially followed powerslide's installation. I figured I would post my pics up. I jacked up under the drivers side spring perch. Being a Jeep guy I am used to flexy vehicles. The Sienna did now flex. I didn't get it very far in the air before both side were up. I put my jack stands under the hitch. My install took me over 3 hrs, but I am a bit of a bull in a china shop so I went slow to make sure I didn't break any clips on the interior panel and I triple checked everything before I drilled and so on.

Here are my pics.

Overall it was pretty simple. I installed the drivers side with the air hose attached and not deflated. I installed the drivers side with the bag deflated and the cap put back on. No air hose attached. Most of my time was being careful talking the interior panel off and putting it back on.

I aired up to 35 psi for 24 hrs. The bottom of my hitch was at 10.5" but aired up it was 10.75" off the ground. I didn't notice alot of difference in feel until I hit some speed bumps. Then it felt like a tank.

Thanks for the writeups and pics guys!!

·
Registered
294 Posts

Underside

·
Premium Member
30 Posts

I essentially followed powerslide's installation. I figured I would post my pics up. I jacked up under the drivers side spring perch. Being a Jeep guy I am used to flexy vehicles. The Sienna did now flex. I didn't get it very far in the air before both side were up. I put my jack stands under the hitch. My install took me over 3 hrs, but I am a bit of a bull in a china shop so I went slow to make sure I didn't break any clips on the interior panel and I triple checked everything before I drilled and so on.

Overall it was pretty simple. I installed the drivers side with the air hose attached and not deflated. I installed the drivers side with the bag deflated and the cap put back on. No air hose attached. Most of my time was being careful talking the interior panel off and putting it back on.

I aired up to 35 psi for 24 hrs. The bottom of my hitch was at 10.5" but aired up it was 10.75" off the ground. I didn't notice alot of difference in feel until I hit some speed bumps. Then it felt like a tank.

Thanks for the writeups and pics guys!!
Just curious, any danger with putting the jack stand under the hitch?

·
Registered
294 Posts

When I did it, I thought it was plenty solid. It wasn't a bouncing trailer with 350lbs on the tongue....but I'm not sure I'd do it again. Curious to see other's opinions.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Sienna Limited Premium
5,446 Posts
When I first saw those pictures I did cringe a little bit, but said nothing as the question wasn't asked. So here goes... Personally, I think I'd advise against it. When they design this stuff, they do a lot of computer (finite element) modeling to see how the assembly will respond to stress. Given the cantilever effect of the rear extension, I'll bet that it is stronger in the fore-aft direction (to pull a 5000 lb trailer) than it is in the vertical plane (350 lb tongue weight). If this is true, then lifting the rear of the van out at the crossbar could exceed either the van's rear frame boxes or the hitch assembly itself.

·
Registered
9 Posts
installed our air lift kit yesterday following some of the photos and ideas here in this thread. Easy install. We used the food lids on the bottom and have the hoses out the top, with the T over on the driver side. We then found the body drain at the left rear, just behind the wheel well, and used that to get the line inside the body and up to the backside of the gas fill door. Followed the install of getting the air fill valve placed there as posted before. Took some time to work with the interior body panel, but well worth it for the clean install in the end.

Thanks for sharing the tips and photos!

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Here are some pictures of my install (2011, LTD AWD, with hitch installed)

IMG_1534.jpg
Driver's side, I installed with hose down

IMG_1535.jpg

T-connect in the middle

IMG_1536.jpg

Passenger side

IMG_1541.jpg

Didn't go inside, just installed the valve in front of hitch

·
Registered
56 Posts

Just curious, any danger with putting the jack stand under the hitch?
No danger. The 350 lb tongue weight limit is for the vehicle's stability while in motion, not because it would damage or stress the hitch or vehicle frame. The stresses that a hitch can safely tolerate are probably 5 times their tow rating.

To put this in perspective, go look at the pinch weld and note that THAT is the "safe" place to put the jack stand. A sheet metal pinch weld. See how thin that is? It can hold the weight of the vehicle, no problem. Then go look at the hitch. The hitch is much, much stronger than the sheet metal.

Nate

·
Registered
617 Posts

I've been running airlifts in our 2005 for the last 6 years. During our last trip, while heading up a looooooooong pass at high temperatures with 4000lbs of trailer attached, we blew the airlift system. I ordered a replacement set and have just finished installing it (air valves up this time). I just wanted to provide an update on where the system failed. At first I thought the passenger side airbag would have blown out due to the exhaust tailpipe passing nearby. This was not the case.

The airbags were fine but I had run the passenger side air hose across to the driver's side bag and teed the system there. If you look at the exhaust pipe routing into the muffler, it comes in in the middle of the muffler after running almost straight up the middle (at least on our 2wd) I crossed the bottom by attaching the hose to the "axle" beam that connects both sides of the rear suspension and right there the line had heated up/melted and burst...exactly where the pipe enters the muffler. I suspect the uphill workout heated the exhaust system quite high and the hose heated up enough at that point to be weak enough to burst. I've routed it further from the pipe this time, right on the body of the van and suspect this next set will last just as long, if not longer than the first set. Considering the bags have survived 35C summers and -35C winters, they are quite robust.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just wanted to share this image of our loaded down 2010 Sienna (with 4 bikes out back, 1 on the roof, a loaded Rocketbox, and lots of gear and water in the rear cargo area) with Air Lift 1000 bags keeping its buttocks out of the sand!

2010 Sienna.jpg

(granted: no passengers in the van when photo was taken, but rest assured the air bags held!)
(p.s. slightly oversized A/T tires add a little lift)

21 - 39 of 39 Posts