Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

Air Lift Rear Air Bag

Tags
air bag
32K views 59 replies 28 participants last post by  jvinhj240 
#1 ·
Got tired of driving around with amount of rear squat and lights blinding everyone when fully loaded. The rear squat really made the handling feel very unstable.

Installed adjustable rear airbags to level out the van. Set it at about 36 psi which leveled it out pretty well (3 kids in the 2nd row, 3rd row folded down packed with camping gear... and 5 bikes). Took it on a trip to the Catskills last week and what a HUGE difference! You almost feel like you aren't carrying any load. Sway is minimized, Steering feels predictable and stable. The only indication that you have that you are carrying the weight is when you slow down... The under powered brakes in our Siennas quickly remind you that you are carrying weight!

I installed the schader valve in the jack/tool kit area and set to 5 psi with no load.

Purchased the kit here if anyone is interested...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CFS028?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I bought used lease return 2011 last year, did the same Air Lift install with Schrader in existing fender weld alignment hole (no drilling) and set at 20 PSI. My daughter immediately bought a 2015 and got the Air Lift for Christmas, set theirs at 25 PSI. Air Lift maximum pressure recommendation is 35 PSI, but system volume is small, so use combo fill/gauge or real small compressor. eTrailer has great 15 min install video on youtube with before/after, under side camera views. Be sure to warm plastic tube ends in hot water before connecting to tee fittings.

Air springs work like progressive wound springs, work like shock absorbers, and when linked together act like a pneumatic sway bar. I've own/modified autos for fifty years and this is the best cost/benefit install i've ever done.....HIGHLY RECOMMENDED MOD !

#4 ·
Was thinking of doing this mod. My van has 20x10.5 with 275/40 on stock height and with 7 passengers it rubs on turns and bumps. You think this will help stop the rubbing? How easy was the install?
This really keeps the rear from sagging, keeping the van level and more stable under weight. I'm not sure, but if you're not rubbing w/o the passengers... then it might.

It's really easy to install...

#7 ·
This really keeps the rear from sagging, keeping the van level and more stable under weight. I'm not sure, but if you're not rubbing w/o the passengers... then it might.

Watch the install video several times and remember to slip the spring clip over the hose before making a connection....

and to use CUP OF VERY HOT WATER to make expanding the tube over the fittings easy....

i located my fill valve in existing fender well alignment hole inside passenger jack storage.....

punched (not slit) hole in existing rubber drain plug to get from under van to well....

DO NOT USE HIGH VOLUME/PRESSURE FILL....do not overfill 35 psi max....enjoy !

#8 ·
Was thinking of doing this mod. My van has 20x10.5 with 275/40 on stock height and with 7 passengers it rubs on turns and bumps. You think this will help stop the rubbing? How easy was the install?

Install seems simple enough. Would this help the swaying of the van on turns? I just feel like a giant boat when taking turns sometimes. Thanks for the feedbacks.

#10 ·
Yes, body roll is significantly reduced. The typical install has both bags fed by one valve, I installed two separate valves to help improve handing even more. This will prevent air moving from one side to the other during turns, which I think would cause more roll.

You guessed wrong....connecting the bags with a TEE fitting and single fill valve acts like a pneumatic sway bar....

as you compress one side, it transfers pressure to the other lowering the lifted wheel....

most coil springs are linear compression, air springs are progressive compression AND dampening....

#12 ·
connecting the bags with a TEE fitting and single fill valve acts like a pneumatic sway bar....
as you compress one side, it transfers pressure to the other lowering the lifted wheel....
thus the transferred pressure makes the spring/wheel on the side of the vehicle that is highest put even more pressure downward, and raising that side even further. Squeeze one bag, the other gets more pressure.

#19 ·
thus the transferred pressure makes the spring/wheel on the side of the vehicle that is highest put even more pressure downward, and raising that side even further. Squeeze one bag, the other gets more pressure.
That's not how they work
Installed May 2008, August 2014 on 2006 Limited, 100,000 miles on 1st set of bags.

#23 ·
That's not how they work
Installed May 2008, August 2014 on 2006 Limited, 100,000 miles on 1st set of bags.
I'm surprised they lasted that long. Do you get winter where you live ? I installed a set of these on a pickup truck and the spring wore through the bag wall in about 5,000 miles. And yes I did my best to get the bag moving freely inside the spring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.