Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

61 - 80 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
nope, the pressure will equalize regardless of line length

Campin Dad said:
I just got the airlift kit this week and will install it this weekend along with my new hitch. Here's my stupid question: if you are using the tee fitting, do the air lines from the fitting to the bag have to be the same length? If they are not the same length, will one bag get more air than the other?

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
I have another question: how much air loss is too much air loss? I filled it to 35psi, checked after about 16 hrs later and it was at 32psi. Overnight temp dropped about 20 degrees.

·
Premium Member
2,923 Posts
As discussed recently in TPMS Warning light, pressure in a tire (or airbag) should be expected to drop roughly one psi for each 10 degree F drop in temperature, so the change from 35 psi to 32 psi doesn't seem unreasonable. If it comes back up with higher ambient temperatures, you know you're seeing the effect of temperature changes, not actual loss of air.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I installed Air Lift air bags on my 2001 LE about a year ago. They worked fine for a long time but suddenly they started to lose air.
Recently I also installed same brand air bags on my 2005 LE and after about a week they started to lose air. I went back this past weekend and found a leak on the "t" fitting and fixed it. I used Windex to find the leak.
I inflated to 35 psi but continued to lose air very slowly. I sprayed again Windex but was not able to find any more leaks.

My question is:
Is there anything else besides Windex that will help me find leaks on my 05 and 01 (when recently checked for leaks on my 01 couldn't find any). Am I doing something wrong when checking for leaks? It seems that the leak is very small and Windex won't detect it.

Thanks for your ideas.
Ed

·
Premium Member
2,923 Posts
A thicker, "soapier" solution might be more effective. Leak detecting fluid is sold for checking natural gas and propane fitting - an RV supply or perhaps plumbing supply store might have some.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Great, so I am off to look for this fluid. Thank you very much for your info.

Ed

·
Registered
84 Posts
It seems that the Air Bags are keeping it up, no leaks. Great !

Have a couple of questions for the pros out there:

If I ride around unloaded, will there be any harm if I keep the bags at their max inflation (35 lbs) ?

Will there be any harm if I inflate the bags after the van is loaded ?

Thanks in advance for your info.

Ed

·
Premium Member
2,923 Posts
Without a load in the van, I think 35 psi will make the bags too stiff for ride comfort, and perhaps even too stiff for good handling and control. Also, it will boost the van up above normal ride height, and the bags are not designed to stretch that long.

It's not practical to inflate the bags as the load is added, so I start with a reasonable pressure unloaded (5 to 20 psi) then load up, then inflate as appropriate to reach about the ride height of an moderately loaded Sienna without air bags. The air bag manufacturers don't want you to start with the van loaded down and bags empty and lift with the bags, because that's too much shifting of the bags in the coils.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I carry a 350lb power chair in the back of my 06 Sienna for my son. The air bags are a life saver. I also had them install an on board air pump to inflate/deflate them.

I'm currently on a lease which ends in Oct 2010 and at that time I will be looking at getting a 2011 Sienna. Is it worth it to remove the air bags and compressor on my current vehicle and switch it over to the new van or should I buy new? Also I had a heck of a time finding someone to install them for me. I tried many local auto shops and the two Toyota dealers around and no one would install them for me. I finally found a customs shop that did the install for me. Is this usually the case?

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
I would just buy the van when the lease is up...unless you really want that new van.

If you're going to return the current van, I would remove it whether you will use it on the new one or not. The dealer may charge you for having it on there if you don't take it out. Who knows if the new van will accept the same air bags?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Well, Saturday, I finally got around to installing the air bags and compressor that has been sitting in my shop for almost a year. The installation went without any problems. I installed the bags with the fittings up. I installed the tee near the passenger side spring and then ran the line around to the jack compartment. I installed a filler valve (i guess that is what it is called) in the bottom of the jack compartment. The compressor line screws onto the filler. This allows me to still use the bags if the compressor dies or has problems although it would be a little more of a pain to fill them. I would have to remove the jack each time, but I did verify that I can get the air hose in there and secured onto the fitting.

I installed the compressor in the space in the passenger side panel in front of the rear air unit and installed the gauge/compressor switch just above the jack so it can be accessed by taking off the jack access door. It was a tight fit and does press slightly against the access door, but nothing too obvious. It is great being able to just push a button to put air in or let it out. The compressor is a little loud, but it isn't like it comes on unless I want it to. The entire installation (including "help" from the kids) took 3 1/2 hours. It was still at the pressure I set it at on Sunday morning, so I guess this bodes well for leaks.

I was able to test it out a little yesterday when we decided to take the bikes out to a local trail to do some Sunday afternoon riding. The bike rack I have is fairly heavy and I use a hitch extender that is heavy. Previously I scraped leaving the yard. Put the bags up to about 32 PSI and noted there was very little sag with all the bikes on and no scraping at all. I did note that unloaded, there was only about 3/4 to 1" difference in the height of the hitch above the ground between the bags having 5 PSI and 35 PSI, but loaded, there was a pretty big difference. I didn't get a chance to measure, but the hitch looked to be at least 4 inches higher than it was pre-air bag with the same load. Will be doing a bigger test this weekend when we go camping with the hitch hauler on.

With 15 PSI in it, the wife said she could not tell that it drove any differently than before, but we didn't drive over any rough roads that might have allowed a firmer suspension to be evident. All in all, very satisfied so far.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I received my kit today and plan to do the install on Saturday. I have no access to a lift, just a set of ramps for the two rear tires. Is this going to work or am I out of luck?

·
Premium Member
2,923 Posts
I have never had a lift for an automotive task in my life, and that has not stopped me from race-preparing a Honda, swapping engines in a couple of cars, and replacing suspension... or installing Sienna air bags.

What I do have - which are needed in this case - are ordinary jack stands. The Sienna's rear wheels need to be hanging in the air (not holding the vechicle's weight on ramps) so that the coil springs are stretched out and there is space between the turns of th coils to slide the bags in. Fortunately, jack stands are cheap and compact to store.

·
Registered
37 Posts
NH said:
I received my kit today and plan to do the install on Saturday. I have no access to a lift, just a set of ramps for the two rear tires. Is this going to work or am I out of luck?
Unlike a lift, ramps won't allow the springs to expand for more space between coils through which you can work. Why don't you use your jack, and a jackstand for safety, and do one side at a time?

·
Registered
10 Posts
ctom3 said:
NH said:
Unlike a lift, ramps won't allow the springs to expand for more space between coils through which you can work. Why don't you use your jack, and a jackstand for safety, and do one side at a time?
I have never done much work with cars so the jackstand idea never entered my mind but it looks to be my best bet. So when I use the regular jack to lift the driver's rear tire where do I put the jack stand?

·
Registered
290 Posts
I used just the jack......left the tire on....and did 1 side at a time.
Not the best....but it worked.....I had a block at the front tire......and the parking brake set.
You could place the jack stand along the same rail as the vehicle jack goes....as long as it has a firm surface.......or under a unibody "frame" member that is near the jacking location.
Using a jack stand as a safety measure is very good repair practice as one should not rely totally on the vehicle jack (like I did).

·
Premium Member
2,923 Posts
I have reached under a vehicle supported by a jack (you have to in order to place or remove a jackstand) but there's no way I'm getting my body under there... and I can't imagine getting the air bags in without sliding under the vehicle.

I, too, left the wheels on for the air bag installation. I didn't see any advantage to removing them... but I'm back to the idea of sliding right underneath to do the job.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well I got it done in 2 hours, the hardest part was getting the lines onto the tee. I jacked the car up and used jackstands for safety. It took 35 lbs of pressure so I'll check in the morning if it holds.

ETA-
OK, the drivers side is filling up nicely and it held it's pressure over night. The tee is located very close to this bag. The passenger side is getting no air although pressure from the drivers side is not being lost. It reads 35lbs of pressure but the passenger side does not inflate. No air escaping from the tee. With the connection in the up position and disc in place it is impossible to tell if air is being lost from this connection on the passenger side. I thought the air would balance itself out.

ETA2-
OK, I believe the line is being pinched at the top of the passenger side. I am going to have to silicone the disc in place as discussed on these threads.

ETA3-
No need for silicone, I had left too much slack in the line at the top and it was being pinched when I lowered the jack. Adjusted with a zip tie and I am good to go. If I can do this anyone can, these Airlift Threads were very helpful.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The air lift bags are a very nice upgrade. I had added a hidden hitch but it kept dragging over my driveway so I ended up taking if off, figuring I would reinstall it when needed. Installed the air lift bags just before the July 4th weekend and reinstalled the hitch. The hitch clears the driveway, easily, and the bags really do a good job of tightening up the rear end. Took a trip on Sunday up and back to the mountains with seven people and a dog in the van and the handling and ride was good.

Also installed the bags with nozzle up.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Does anyone know what the airlift kit number is for a 2011 model Sienna? The Airlift website does not list 2011 model information yet.

Thanks!

61 - 80 of 113 Posts